Linux Configuration suggestions for a nice, efficient setup?
Hi all,

I have a bit of a specific setup question… I'm setting up a combined NAS/HTPC machine based on Arch Linux. Since it will act as a NAS, it will be running all the time, with all administration done headless. But at the same time, since it is a HTPC, it will also display XBMC on my TV sometimes. Now, I have the basic setup working, and I'm using CEC for remote control, which all works beautifully. But I'm thinking about what would be the best way of running XBMC only when the TV is on and actually in use, for a smooth experience (think WAF, even though I dislike that term) as well as for energy-efficiency?
I'm looking for a high-level answer – the nitty-gritty with scripting etc would come later Smile

What I want to achieve, just to be clear:
  • No terminal ever visible on the TV (when XBMC is not running, it could be blank or show an image)
  • As low power consumtion as possible when the TV is not on (leave as much for NAS/serving processes as possible)

A few alternatives that I've come up with, not sure which one is best, or if I should be doing something else entirely:
  1. Start standalone X session with XBMC when TV is started, exit the session when TV is turned off (this drops me back at a tty after – can I make that a black screen instead somehow?)
  2. Start a very minimal X session automatically on boot, with energy settings that would turn off the screen on idle; start XBMC in this session when TV is turned on; quit XBMC when TV is turned off
  3. Have XBMC running all the time (is this efficient, if it outputs video to a turned-off screen? I'd rather not enable energy saving within XBMC itself, because then it would go to sleep while the TV is on; yes, I'm picky Smile)

What do you think would be a good way to go? Grateful for any suggestions!
Why does a NAS have to run all the time? Most energy efficient option would be to suspend it when not in use. You can wake it remotely via wol or via Usb/remote control and it can be setup to wake automatically for recordings. A script to check if any services are running, and if none are running the nas/htpc suspends. Set xbmc to quit when idle for x minutes, with the aforementioned script checking if xbmc is running. have xbmc start on resume + remap the power button so it doesn't suapend the system, but only wakes it and if it's already awake and xbmc isn't running have xbmc started.
(2014-04-12, 16:13)teeedubb Wrote: Why does a NAS have to run all the time? Most energy efficient option would be to suspend it when not in use. You can wake it remotely via wol or via Usb/remote control and it can be setup to wake automatically for recordings. A script to check if any services are running, and if none are running the nas/htpc suspends. Set xbmc to quit when idle for x minutes, with the aforementioned script checking if xbmc is running. have xbmc start on resume + remap the power button so it doesn't suapend the system, but only wakes it and if it's already awake and xbmc isn't running have xbmc started.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it also acts as a server (hobby web, seedbox), so constant connectivity is pretty much a must. It's not really so much about 100% energy-efficiency as it's about doing things the "right way", mostly for fun. Thanks for taking the time to reply though, I should look more into automating things like this in general.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuration suggestions for a nice, efficient setup?0