• 7(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
(2014-04-23, 18:34)Chrisiooo Wrote: I solved this problem by adding "hdmi_force_hotplug=1, hdmi_drive=2" to the config.txt
Also removed the Diode D14 on the Board.
Since that, I never had any Problem with CEC on my LG 47LM660, even on the latest Beta´s.

I got:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
@edwr: download milhouseVH's bcmstat.sh python script. It can give you all kinds of real time stats.

https://github.com/MilhouseVH/bcmstat
With #0423 version videos don't freeze with fiq FSM enabled!
Nice.

Edit: it seems that I spoke too fast.
Still getting random freezes.
(2014-04-23, 20:44)tuxen Wrote: @edwr: download milhouseVH's bcmstat.sh python script. It can give you all kinds of real time stats.

with dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0,
~3.1k IRQ/s when idle on home screen, ~3.3k while playing video

without,
~2.1k IRQ/s when idle on home screen, ~2.3k while playing video
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0424
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.1 #1 PREEMPT Thu Apr 24 02:56:36 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Apr 23 2014 00:11:18
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8c6eeb8ba935907264625ed86287962173a60e55 (tainted) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140424023847-r18233-g40add36

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (40add36, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (1c832d6, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for 043ed58, a patch to avoid hammering the GUI, which has been replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes kernel 3.14.y commits
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflict with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC gotham_rbp_backports patches in favour of sourcing these same patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default (dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7). See initial post for more details.
Build Highlights:

newclock3 fixes for 6-channel / 96 kHz FLAC playback:
(2014-04-23, 23:43)popcornmix Wrote: I've pushed a commit to newclock3 that improves 6-channel / 96 kHz FLAC playback for me.

These files are quite demanding, and you are likely to get stutter when Pi is busy.
I see stutters during the first minute after launching xbmc when add-ons are updating, and I can provoke them by scrolling the movie fanart view for example.

When xbmc is left alone, or just browsing through menus without fanart it played fine for me, with or without visualisation.

1. OpenELEC:
    • gcc: update to gcc-4.9.0
  2. newclock3:
    • ActiveAE: fix idling of engine due to high number of samples in sink buffers
    • [PiSink] More attempts to reduce underrun audio glitches with multichannl and high samplerate
    • [omxplayer] Fix for aspect ratio of portrait videos
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@popcornmix
how stable is DVD playback supposed to work? I have my PI running at 950 MHz (on demand), but using dvdplayer (which is set as default player as of #0423) mpeg2 is a bit choppy and CPU is maxed out. Using omxplayer playback is smooth but libdvdnav doesn't seem to work (keypresses are not forwarded to dvdnav it seems). I tried 3 DVDs yesterday, but none worked perfectly with either of the players. Sometimes I didn't even get any video output (probably an issue with menu stills). XBMC also froze 3 times (at least GUI, haven't checked via SSH). Are this known issues or is DVD playback supposed to run fine by now? I can try to get debug logs if you want to have a look.
edit: I ofc have the mpeg2 codec license and both players used omx-mpeg2 decoder IIRC
(2014-04-24, 00:32)edwr Wrote:
(2014-04-23, 20:44)tuxen Wrote: @edwr: download milhouseVH's bcmstat.sh python script. It can give you all kinds of real time stats.

with dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0,
~3.1k IRQ/s when idle on home screen, ~3.3k while playing video

without,
~2.1k IRQ/s when idle on home screen, ~2.3k while playing video

I get:
~784 with a standard Logitech S510 mouse/keyboard in one and no crashes. (This number is pretty steady)
~1.300 with a Logitech de novo mini.
~2.500 with a few spikes of 3.000 in the end when copying a large file to/from a external harddrive at the same time and no crashes. (With de novo attached)
Add around ~200 when playing a movie at the same time, like you.
Both tests I moved the mouse and pressed the keyboard as fast as I could at intervals ofcause and not for 12 hours straight. Smile to try and provoke it.

I let it run a 2H+ movie with both overnight. (Changed keyboard/mouse/movie) when I had my nightly wee lol age sucks. My RPi still has not been re-booted yet and Logitech de novo mini is still attached and used instead of CEC. It has run a livestream since this morning until I update to 0424 while I write this.

Both fiq enabled. Didn't try fiq=0 since I had no crashes and it would only generate more irq/s.

So If I read your numbers right they should be well within the range. (I would write it as 3k1)

I'm overclocked at 1100/500/500/+6 - force_turbo=1
(2014-04-24, 09:32)da-anda Wrote: @popcornmix
how stable is DVD playback supposed to work? I have my PI running at 950 MHz (on demand), but using dvdplayer (which is set as default player as of #0423) mpeg2 is a bit choppy and CPU is maxed out. Using omxplayer playback is smooth but libdvdnav doesn't seem to work (keypresses are not forwarded to dvdnav it seems). I tried 3 DVDs yesterday, but none worked perfectly with either of the players. Sometimes I didn't even get any video output (probably an issue with menu stills). XBMC also froze 3 times (at least GUI, haven't checked via SSH). Are this known issues or is DVD playback supposed to run fine by now? I can try to get debug logs if you want to have a look.
edit: I ofc have the mpeg2 codec license and both players used omx-mpeg2 decoder IIRC

I thought it was stable, but I don't own many DVD images so may need others to comment.
If the choppiness is just lack frame synchronisation, then try playing with "sync playback to display" options.
What does "top -H" report as the xbmc tasks using the CPU? My recollection was that CPU wasn't very high (e.g. 50%) in this scenario.

A debug log may be useful. A sample may be useful if there is something in these images causing a problem.
is "sync playback to display" required in case I go the other way around and always force "adjust display refresh rate to match video"? I thought this should make any sync processing obsolete, doesn't it? Will do some more testing tonight and try to grab a debug log.
Playing DVD's is working fine here with DVDPlayer.
(2014-04-24, 15:03)da-anda Wrote: is "sync playback to display" required in case I go the other way around and always force "adjust display refresh rate to match video"? I thought this should make any sync processing obsolete, doesn't it? Will do some more testing tonight and try to grab a debug log.
Yes and no. Smile Adjust display refresh rate to match video is the way to go but if you play a PAL 50hz DVD and your tv does not support 50hz and does not switch into that mode and stays at 60hz you will get choppiness (at certain intervals). And the other way around (dropping/adding stuff) might be useful. And if the tv is locked at 60hz (which is extremely seldom these days, I guess you have to go at least 10 years back to find something like that) adjust display rate to match video is obsolete.

Android boxes are locked at 60hz which can will give the same effect playing PAL content. 24fps can be handled with something called pulldown and play reasonably at 60hz. But that's another story.

It should not max out your CPU.

The only 3 DVD images I have or just the files works fine here including menus. (2 PAL, 1 NTSC)
The CPU usage just looking at codec info is ~50%.

I guess I could hook up a external USB drive and go through my collection if I get the time.
Let's see what others say.
According to the wiki, sync playback to display "enables syncing the video to the refresh rate of the monitor". Assuming that really means that it actually does sync the video to the refresh rate of the monitor (rather than merely "enables" it, whatever that means), I am confused about how this relates to/interacts with "adjust display refresh rate to match video".

Can these two similar but apparently contradictory functions play together nicely? How can you, at the same time, sync the display to the video and sync the video to the display? Are the two functions coded so that one takes precedence?
build: #0424

@popcornmix

Audio test with PAPlayer
PCM
Little Signed
Constant 6 912 Kbps
6 channels Front: L C R, Back: L R, LFE
48.0 KHz 24 bits

Drops playing files. Drops could be every 5 seconds to 20 seconds with not pattern.
Files list screen or full screen doesn't change the issue
When looking summary information screen, CPU usage is min=70%, max=100%, mean 88-90%
Memory usage= 17%
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
@tuxen @popcornmix
TV is switching into 1080p@50, but I'm not sure if this is correct, because XBMC is reporting the video format as 25fps (pal DVD) and 1080p@25 (which my TV is also supporting) might be the more correct resolution? And I checked CPU usage with top now and there its at ~50℅ which seems fine.

Unfortunately I got home very late today so that I couldn't do more tests with enabled syncing. will do tomorrow.

edit: did a little more testing. With enabled AV sync settings the "jumps" every ~10s seem to be gone. I really wonder why it needs AV sync enabled while FPS from movie and TV actually should match (no playback issues when using omxplayer). Please note that XBMC crashed/froze at one point when I tried to use the chapter selector of a DVD and I was able to "resurrect" it by killing the xbmc.bin process - so PI itself was still alive and CPU only had little load. Right before the freeze I could hear a strange sound (AC3 passthrough, HDMI output, no dual audio). Will try to reproduce and get a debug log.
is there a way to get a video grabber running on this builds?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8