• 29(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
HI popcornmix,

Thanks for the reply.

I would be very happy to test some builds to try and find the problem

Thanks

pootler
New OpenELEC Helix build: #0605
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.5 #1 PREEMPT Thu Jun 5 00:12:40 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jun  4 2014 21:01:15
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version c89591d3959d5fec88856f2460ee641f3a1d29dc (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC_Helix (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140605001123-r18524-gcbfe2fa

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (cbfe2fa, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (f733da1, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 patches
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflicts with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC linux-01-RPi_support patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from kernel branch rpi-3.14.y
  • Excludes the OpenELEC xbmc-master-newclock3 patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default. See initial post for more details.
  • Includes RPi-specific libCEC commits from mk01/libcec. See build #0527 for details. Also double-key suppression.
  • Increase scan interval of PeripBusCEC from 5000 to 60000, reducing CPU loading by about 2% (1GHz Pi) every 5 seconds (even when CEC is "disabled")
  • Includes PR4811: SysInfo refactoring, startup log update
Build Highlights:

New firmware. New newlock3 commits (although dvdplayer audio now sounds like chipmunks). Reverts PR4837/PR4838/PR4839.
  1. Firmware (Jun 04):
    • firmware: Avoid reporting forced hdmi modes when using composite. See: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...ies#109044
    • firmware: audio_render/audio_mixer: Support planar formats
    • firmware: bootcode: increase sdcard timeout to avoid observed boot failure under certain conditions
    • firmware: deinterlace_double - fix image locking. See: #181
    • firmware: Convert image_fx for use with MMAL and MMAL_ENCODING_OPAQUE. See: #278
    • firmware: RIL Camera: fix handling for stride>required stride. See: raspberrypi/userland#177
  2. OpenELEC:
    • bluez: update to bluez-5.19
    • e2fsprogs: update to e2fsprogs-1.42.10
    • e2fsprogs: fix PKG_CONFIGURE_OPTS_INIT
    • GeniaTech T220 DVB-T2 support fix (PR:3295)
  3. XBMC:
    • [jsonbuilder] - do it properly ... (PR:4846)
    • Fix webserver memory leak (PR:4735)
    • [tvshows] don't set scraper if we find a tvshow.nfo file. (PR:4676)
    • Playlist settings don't update on change of profile (PR:4791)
  4. newclock3:
    • Revert PR4837
    • Revert PR4838
    • Revert PR4839
    • AE: Skip visualisation resample when disabled
    • AE: accept planar formats and timestamps at input
    • dvdplayer audio: feed planar formats into ae
    • paplayer: adapt to interface change of AE, feed entire frames into AE
    • dvdplayer: drop obsolete pcm audio codecs
    • WASAPI: fall back to float if engine requests a planar format
    • AESinkPULSE: Correctly handle unsupported formats and fallback to float
    • [resamplepi] Support planar formats
    • [pisink] Support planar formats
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Build #0605 also has no GUI sounds.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@popcornmix - newclock3 is growing and growing - what has to be done/tested so that you feel comfortable to PR more of your changes?
@popcornmix,

you've done a great job (with everybody else) to make xbmc on the pi so usefull that it is the main piece of entertainement in my house :

- songza on the sound system
- movies on demand from our collection for the kids
- picture frame tv when to make people talk when a movie isn't playing and the tv is on
- access to my ripped cd collection.

The last point for me that needs a little work is that my 10k+ mp3 collection displays almost instantaneously, but when I click a song (in the all songs view), it generates a playlist that takes 30 to 40 seconds. Anything quick you can do there to help out ?

I am willing to be the guinee pig, just PM me.

Regards, Erik.
I noticed that dvdplayer in Gotham and Helix don't seem to like my old DVB recordings (PAL SD MPEG-2). When started from the beginning the files play fine, but after seeking (jumping to a specific position, using arrow keys to seek within the file) playback gets extremely choppy and dvdplayer doesn't seem to be able to recover.

omxplayer has no problems with these files and also dvdplayer in openelec 3.2.4 works fine. XBMC Helix (current git head) on Linux with the VDPAU backend works fine, too.

Here's a debug log with the 0605 testbuild: http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/openelec/...5-xbmc.log
and here's a short sample http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/openelec/...st-dvb.mpg

BTW: yesterday I also posted about this issue with official OpenELEC 4.0.3 on the OpenELEC forum: http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...er-seeking

so long,

Hias
(2014-06-05, 01:21)pootler Wrote: I would be very happy to test some builds to try and find the problem

Can you test this build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6zmED...sp=sharing

Should be Openelec 4.0.4 with the newclock3 patch I indicated.
Thanks popcornmix

Might be a couple of days - I find a good way to check is to basically leave live TV on.( continuously) for that sort of time!

Cheers
(2014-06-05, 18:36)popcornmix Wrote: Can you test this build:
It looks like this build slightly improves stutter after seeking (I might be mistaken, though, will have to do some more comparisons), but the video still hangs for a fraction of a second every second or so.

Here's another debug log, playing the test-dvb.mpg sample with your build and then seeking forward with the right-arrow button:
http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/openelec/...x-xbmc.log

so long,

Hias
@tuath clicking on a file in all songs view will create a playlist with all songs in it. so if you turn of the setting to automatically queue all songs within same list playback should start instantly. you'll only have one song in the queue though.
(2014-06-06, 00:43)da-anda Wrote: @tuath clicking on a file in all songs view will create a playlist with all songs in it. so if you turn of the setting to automatically queue all songs within same list playback should start instantly. you'll only have one song in the queue though.

Yeah, the thing is with over 500 cds worth of songs, i like to have random and queueing songs manually is not feasible.

And when your listenting to a specific album or artist, there are a handfull of songs and the dynamic playlist générates quickly.

Since the average song is 2-3 minutes, imagine if playback started immediatly and the playlist was done in background... Going to the next song would suffer if the playlist isn`t ready yet but it might be a good compromise...
you know that you can always use the context menu and trigger a "play from here" to still queue anyting in a specific folder? Or simply pop up the context menu on an artist or album and choose "play" to move everything inside to a playlist? I know these are only workarounds, but the PIs hardware is limited. I'm not saying that your mentioned issue couldn't somehow be improved code wise to be faster, but at some point there is a limit to it on what the CPU of the PI can handle, so don't expect a pink unicorn if somebody is trying to improve this area.
(2014-06-06, 10:18)da-anda Wrote: you know that you can always use the context menu and trigger a "play from here" to still queue anyting in a specific folder? Or simply pop up the context menu on an artist or album and choose "play" to move everything inside to a playlist? I know these are only workarounds, but the PIs hardware is limited. I'm not saying that your mentioned issue couldn't somehow be improved code wise to be faster, but at some point there is a limit to it on what the CPU of the PI can handle, so don't expect a pink unicorn if somebody is trying to improve this area.

In Frodo, opening the all songs view took 40+ seconds, brought down to 4-5 in Gotham. The list of songs is all in memory at that point. I am not expecting 0 seconds here for generating the playlist , but i am sure a little work in this area will go a long way...
I can not find Manually entering subtitles any more
(2014-06-05, 18:36)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-06-05, 01:21)pootler Wrote: I would be very happy to test some builds to try and find the problem

Can you test this build:

Should be Openelec 4.0.4 with the newclock3 patch I indicated.

Hi popcornmix,

Tried a couple of channels ( DVB-T- UK )running consecutively for 3-5 hours.

Audio/video started to drift from about two hours in on both.

Please note - as mentioned I am using stock settings on everything - if there is a specific setting in any of the Live tv/ Video menus I am not using which is meant for Live tv, then maybe you or other people reading this can let me know!

Thanks

pootler
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8