• 30(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)
New OpenELEC Helix build: #0607
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.5 #1 PREEMPT Sat Jun 7 18:15:28 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jun  4 2014 21:01:15
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version c89591d3959d5fec88856f2460ee641f3a1d29dc (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC_Helix (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140607184201-r18547-g2e0e478

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (2e0e478, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (f1318ce, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 patches
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches due to conflicts with newclock3
  • Excludes the OpenELEC linux-01-RPi_support patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from kernel branch rpi-3.14.y
  • Excludes the OpenELEC xbmc-master-newclock3 patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • FIQ FSM is enabled by default. See initial post for more details.
  • Includes RPi-specific libCEC commits from mk01/libcec. See build #0527 for details. Also double-key suppression.
  • Increase scan interval of PeripBusCEC from 5000 to 60000, reducing CPU loading by about 2% (1GHz Pi) every 5 seconds (even when CEC is "disabled")
Build Highlights:

fsck /flash and /storage local filesystems, and fix correctable errors (or abort boot if errors are uncorrectable). Disable by adding "nofsck" to /flash/cmdline.txt.
GUI sounds restored (AE planar commits remain dropped as causing problems with dvdplayer audio at startup).
PR4837 and PR4839 continue to be dropped from this build, awaiting further review/testing/progress.
Latest kernel 3.14.5 patches now included.

1. OpenELEC:
    • wpa_supplicant: update to wpa_supplicant-2.2
    • vdr/tvheadend: use slider control in settings gui (PR:3298)
    • xbmc: handle SIGTERM (may help anyone experiencing shutdown/restart problems)
    • openssl: update to openssl-1.0.1h
    • util-linux: add support for install in initramfs
    • e2fsprogs: create symlinks to fsck.*, install remove fsck binary from target (we want the one from util-linux)
    • dosfstools: add support for install in initramfs
    • diskdev_cmds: install binaries and symlinks to /sbin
    • initramfs: install util-linux and dosfstools to initramfs
    • busybox: add initial support for fsck /flash and /storage on boot
    • libICE: update to libICE-1.0.9
    • busybox: add applet 'mountpoint' to initramfs
    • busybox: unmount /flash and /storage on reboot in initramfs, add 'do_reboot' function and use this for all reboot calls
    • libgpg-error: specify 'CC_FOR_BUILD'
  2. XBMC:
    • [pydocs] add comment for renaming/moving files across different filesystems (PR:4849)
    • [osx/ios/atv2] - fix missing _DEBUG and NDEBUG defines due to missing in... (PR:4851)
    • Dvdrefactor (PR:4737)
    • [AE/osxsink] - allow up to 16 channels in osx sink - fixes #15261 (PR:4845)
    • Update hooks for TvTunes (PR:4826)
    • PosixDirectory implementation (PR:4838)
    • SysInfo refactoring, startup log update (PR:4811)
    • Faster floating point rounding (PR:3760)
    • ActiveAE: fix reset of buffering after 51ff5b6e39a752787547dbe79f6c58206... (PR:4852)
    • [AE/osxsink] - fix multichannel speaker layout / channel mapping (PR:4719)
    • Backports from nospiffs fork (PR:4716)
    • added missing break statement to the message handler which might lead to... (PR:4831)
    • [add-ons] sync add-ons with repo (PR:4859)
    • make sure applications/xbmc.desktop does'nt have executable flag (PR:4858)
    • FIX: [droid] enable compilation with NDK >= 9b (PR:4156)
    • [externalplayer] fire onplaybackstarted event - fixes #15279 (PR:4855)
    • [omxplayer] Skip out of submit loop when closing. (PR:4778)
  3. newclock3:
    • [omx] Remove logging for texture jobs
  4. kernel 3.14.y:
    • Updated with 3.14.5 patches
    • config: Add CONFIG_HID_XINMO
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-06-06, 22:57)pootler Wrote: Tried a couple of channels ( DVB-T- UK )running consecutively for 3-5 hours.

Audio/video started to drift from about two hours in on both.

Can you try this build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6zmED...sp=sharing

This additionally includes this commit:
https://github.com/popcornmix/xbmc/commi...4601a9f976
I have a/v-sync problems, too, using the latest Milhouse build. But instead of TV Streams, I tried different local files.
The problem only occurs using DVDPlayer, while OMXPlayer works fine!

So maybe there is something is wrong with DVDPlayer?

Edit:
@popcornmix
in that build the a/v-sync works fine for me, but in the beginning it shows black picture for some seconds while the sound is running already.
(with DVDPlayer)
that's probably because your TV is adjusting refresh rates? My LG also blacks out on that but I'm fine with this (you could enable a delay in video settings to pause for some sec on refresh rate changes)
New OpenELEC Helix build: #0610

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.14.6 #1 PREEMPT Tue Jun 10 00:04:40 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jun  9 2014 23:04:53
version e0afc8ec5259915e294da50d9589947f2411a745 (tainted) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC_Helix (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140610000327-r18559-g4f8eeda

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (4f8eeda, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (becbfe4, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. See this post for a description of how to test effectiveness of this package with addons
  • Excludes the OpenELEC linux-01-RPi_support patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from kernel branch rpi-3.14.y
  • Excludes the OpenELEC xbmc-master-newclock3 patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from newclock3 branch
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • Includes RPi-specific libCEC commits from mk01/libcec. See build #0527 for details. Also double-key suppression.
  • Increase scan interval of PeripBusCEC from 5000 to 60000, reducing CPU loading by about 2% (1GHz Pi) every 5 seconds (even when CEC is "disabled")
Build Highlights:

New firmware. New 3.14.6 kernel. Latest libnfs with directory cache support.
  1. Firmware (Jun 09):
    • firmware: audio_mixer: Fix issue with planar audio when output channels needed expansion
    • hdmi: Include requested mode and allow hdmi drive when edid fails. See: link.
    • tvservice: More accurate description of standby message. See #286.
  2. OpenELEC:
    • linux: update to linux-3.14.6
    • RTL8192CU: add support for more Edimax/Belkin WLAN sticks
    • sqlite: update to sqlite-autoconf-3080500
    • lsb_release: use /etc/os-release
  3. XBMC:
    • MySQL connections should explicitly set UTF-8 charset (PR:12)
    • Clocks (PR:4842)
    • FIX: do not popup OSD on DVD menu with touch or mouse (fixes #14906) (PR:4169)
    • build: make bootstrap script fail properly on failure (PR:4673)
    • AE: accept planar formats and pts from player (PR:4786)
    • Add ability to get text from ControlTextBox via python and infolabels (PR:4687)
    • Implement CWin32Directory (PR:4864)
    • [posixdirectory] added missing code (PR:4860)
    • ADD: [sets] allow to select art from child movies (PR:4755)
    • [osx] build fix for make (tests etc.) on darwin with llvm. (PR:4865)
    • Fix SysInfo test (PR:4873)
    • Allow HLS streams without m3u8 extension (PR:4729)
    • Update CpuInfo (PR:4853)
  4. newclock3:
    • Include PR4837 and PR4839
  5. kernel 3.14.y:
    • alsa: add mmap support and some cleanups to bcm2835 ALSA driver
    • V4L2: Fixes from 6by9
    • fb: distinguish physical and bus addresses
  6. Custom:
    • Latest libnfs master (bumped from 1.8.0) with directory cache support to improve NFS directory lookup performance (see comments on PR4839)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
New OpenELEC Helix build: #0611

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.15.0 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jun 11 03:11:35 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jun  9 2014 23:04:53
version e0afc8ec5259915e294da50d9589947f2411a745 (tainted) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC_Helix (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140611033114-r18578-g066a729

Based on tip of OpenELEC master (066a729, changelog) and tip of XBMC master (603c7fa, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Excludes the OpenELEC linux-01-RPi_support patch in favour of sourcing these and possibly more recent patches directly from kernel branch rpi-3.15.y
  • Includes libnfs master with directory caching support
Build Highlights:

New kernel 3.15.0.
XBMC adds "Never" as an option for addon auto-update (requires skin updates - currently supported by Confluence).
XBMC adds "Check for updates" with last check date/time in Settings -> Add-ons.

1. OpenELEC:
    • switch to kernel 3.15
    • connman: update to connman-1.24
    • nss-mdns standard installation contingent on AVAHI_DAEMON (PR:3313, 1 commit, 4 files changed)
    • Add kernel patch for proper Ouya Controller Support
    • Add keymap to make use of the newly add PS4 controller Kernel support in linux-3.15
    • projects/*/linux: add support for dragonrise joystick
  2. XBMC:
    • [addons] add support for 'never' updating or checking for updates (PR:4287, 7 commits, 16 files changed)
    • [omxplayer] Remove PCMRemap and handle multichannel mixing like ActiveAE (PR:4863, 1 commit, 9 files changed)
    • [cosmetic] - initialize members in the order they were declared (PR:4879, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • [Utils] Clean up/Fix things found by Cppcheck (PR:3890, 19 commits, 60 files changed)
    • videoinfoscanner optimizations (PR:4837, 5 commits, 7 files changed)
    • Use CURL in IDirectory et. al. (PR:4872, 19 commits, 158 files changed)
    • [AE/osxsink] - handle AE_FMT_FLOATP in scorestream (PR:4880, 1 commit, 1 file changed)
    • Amlogic Android 4.4.2 patchset (PR:4833, 2 commits, 2 files changed)
  3. kernel 3.15.y:
    • hwrng: bcm2708 - fix oops when rng h/w is accessed during registration
I would like to know will there be any improvement to de-interlacing currently it is very poor compared to win 7 mce or the TV set. It doesn't matter is it live tv or tv recordings.

Interlacing issues are very prominent on people's faces. I use omxplayer I have tried with auto and on settings however no difference as far as I can see. I tried changing the sync refresh rates but no improvement.

I am surprised that no one else has mentioned it before I am sure there are other pi users In Australia. I think all our live tv is interlaced.

I keep updating to every new build hoping it would be fixed but still not I am currently on build #0610.

Thank you for all the work on this little but very capable device.
I'd be interested in having an interlaced sample, could you upload a short sample that demonstrates the problem?
@MillhouseVH I will make few small recordings from different channels and upload the links in the next few days if not than it will be over the weekend.

Thank you
(2014-06-09, 02:35)da-anda Wrote: that's probably because your TV is adjusting refresh rates? My LG also blacks out on that
Was that mentioned to me?
I'm not using a TV, I use a monitor and it worked well earlier. But maybe it's really related to changes of the refresh rate.
I will try the new builds and check it out.
(2014-06-11, 07:06)denz Wrote: I would like to know will there be any improvement to de-interlacing currently it is very poor compared to win 7 mce or the TV set. It doesn't matter is it live tv or tv recordings.

SD deinterlace should be very high quality (it's a motion adaptive deinterlace similar to yadif).
HD deinterlace is a much simpler "bob" deinterlace.

I think you need to post a sample, and explain what you don't like about it. Ideally demonstrate that it can be played better on another system (e.g. xbmc on windows/linux).
(2014-06-11, 15:46)thomasthetomcat Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 02:35)da-anda Wrote: that's probably because your TV is adjusting refresh rates? My LG also blacks out on that
Was that mentioned to me?
I'm not using a TV, I use a monitor and it worked well earlier. But maybe it's really related to changes of the refresh rate.
I will try the new builds and check it out.
yes, this was directed to you. To see if it's related to the refresh rate switch, you can temporarily disable the setting "settings -> video -> playback -> adjust display refresh rate to match video" (requires settings level "advanced" to make the setting visible/changeable)
@denz - note that the deinterlacing setting is no global toggle and by default stored on a per video basis unless you trigger the "make default for all videos" button.
I have installed XBMC on the same pc as WMC to compare the two and the wmc picture is a lot sharper and de interlacing is significantly better. I have uploaded the screenshots to photobucket but for some unknown reason they look identical but they are not, there is a huge difference between the two using paint or picture viewer. There is no difference in picture quality between xbmc on win 7 or pi.

I have installed a copy of xbmc on my work pc that uses ATI video card and enabling DXVA Best the picture quality is on par with WMC. My home pc uses nvidia so I will try to play around with the settings. I don't know what else I can try on the pi.

Link of the recording

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7X9IEX...sp=sharing

I just noticed on the refred skin that I am using on the pi it is saying that this recording is 576p. That is possible the problem why it is not applying the de-interlacing settings.

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

WMC

XBMC

(2014-06-06, 22:57)pootler Wrote:
(2014-06-05, 18:36)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-06-05, 01:21)pootler Wrote: I would be very happy to test some builds to try and find the problem

Can you test this build:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-6zmED...sp=sharing

Should be Openelec 4.0.4 with the newclock3 patch I indicated.

Hi popcornmix,

Tried a couple of channels ( DVB-T- UK )running consecutively for 3-5 hours.

Audio/video started to drift from about two hours in on both.

Please note - as mentioned I am using stock settings on everything - if there is a specific setting in any of the Live tv/ Video menus I am not using which is meant for Live tv, then maybe you or other people reading this can let me know!

Thanks

pootler

O.K - back again.

Surpise, surprise , this is proving more complicated than expected Smile

After installing the second build you gave me, the Pi ran overnight with great sync.
the next day on another channel, it had drifted (literally) minutes by the morning.
next day it was fine.

The only explanation I can offer is that ,occasionally, when the TV reception has a small glitch ( be it bad weather rain, wind etc), I do notice that Live Tv can - but not always- suffer from a small drift when recovering. if there are extra glitches in reception ( I must emphasise that these are very very small disruptions) then this compounds the issue.
Whereas my 'hardware'' Freeview ( DVB-T) box shows no dislocation of audio/video after a small reception glitch, the Pi seems much more sensitive.

does that make any sense ? - and is there anybody out there using Pi / live tv who recognises what I am saying?

Thanks Popcornmix
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 3 (Kodi 14.0)8