• 2(current)
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC
(2014-04-16, 15:01)McButton Wrote: That's why I thought Chromebox, but Openelec doesn't work yet? That thing is already built, but I don't want chrome to be like android where it isn't completely compatible.

OpenELEC is now working on the ChromeBox. It's not trivial to get it installed, but not all that hard either. See the wiki link in my sig, section 2.2 is what you want. If there's a demand, I'll probably start selling these soon preconfigured with OpenELEC and an MCE IR remote.
ChromeBox may be not be hard to setup, but OP doesn't seem tech savvy. I mean, the NUC is a 15 minute setup tops and he's researching day and night about it (No offense OP just giving people an idea of your tech savviness for PC stuff).

The NUC may take more hands on work to setup(Plug in Hard Drive (Dont' even need this actually just need a USB), Plug in Ram and you're ready to go). But OpenElec will instlal easily and he'll be good to go.

ChromeBox will take him to do more software stuff which I doubt will be easy for him.

The NUC setup of simply putting ram into a slot is not hard. It's so simple. Then OpenElec on a USB and he's good to go. I'd go with a BayTrail NUC or whatever is cheap.

Edit: To give you an idea how easy it is to build a PC OP.
Imagine you have a set of legos. You played with these as a kid so it's familiar. You have those green boards where you can put tons of legos on. That's the Motherboard. You plug in a processor. Literally, just plug it in like a lego. However, with the NUC this is done for you. You put the Motherboard inside of a case. This is already done for you with a NUC though. You put a powersupply in and hook it up to the motherboard (a labeled cabel connects the two). This is already done for you with a NUC. You plug in ram. Ram are thin sticks that slide into a corresponding connector ONLY ONE way, and it's obvious which way because you can just line up the pieces. It fits just like a lego block would. This is the only thing you have to do with a NUC (Because you get to choose which ram/how much you want to use). You also need a hard drive, but since you're running OpenElecf you actually dont need one. You just need to plug a USB stick in and you know how to do that.

In fact, plugging a USB stick in is pretty similar to plugging in a Ram stick. It only goes in 1 way, and you can't mess up your whole PC by attempting to plug in USb stick wrong (Oh wrong way flip it around and it fits). That's all you have to do, plug in a ram stick. Then you're ready to go.

Really, it would take you 15 minutes to plug a ram stick in your NUC, download/install OpenElec, and get into XBMC.

I spent a lot of time reading how to build a PC online OP before I built my first one. When I actually got the stuff, it was painfully easy. Made me feel stupid for worrying so much. It's not hard to do OP, it's not rocket science or anything. Building a PC seems super nerdy/hard because people don't want to take the 5 minutes to actually try to do it. Once you start, you realize how insanely easy it is.
Good info. Good info. I actually obtained all the parts needed from refurb items I have at home. I didn't quite get the NUC, but it seems easier than Chrome. I can't find a 2820 online, but I have all the extra parts now. I didn't want to even buy a wifi card, and now I have 3. (dead laptop, dead boxee, etc).

Chrome is on the way. I'll probably do a NUC too. Whatever I hate, I'll sell.

I can figure it out, I just don't want to learn more tech stuff. I want easy setup, easy fix.

It's been a long road of video frustration. I think we got it. I don't want an expensive NUC if I'm only streaming, but I'll figure it out... Then off to figuring out a NAS setup. Thanks for all the info!

(2014-04-18, 15:03)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 16:06)warlock09 Wrote: Any thoughts on this? Shld. I get it or not...thinking of upgrading my old acer revo r3600 to this one...thanks...any suggestions..would be great..especially running xbmc...

http://m.morecomputers.com/prod.aspx?pn=...YyNzg4MTgw

That link is not working for me, from where is that online shop? US? I'm in south america and looking for that box.
I already purchased the chromobox but hasn't arrive yet, I want to compare both and keep one.

Thanks

I can't find one online. Odds are, you'll probably have to buy the new version when it launches or a different NUC.
Lots of places have Chromebox this week. Keep us in the loop if you get both.
Well that's exactly the reason building a PC gets a bad rep. "I don't want to learn tech stuff I just want it to be easy" is the general consumer sentiment. It's why people end up paying $100s mark up to get a built PC over taking the time to simply learning to do it (Which takes like 30 minutes tops IMO).

As for "NAS Setup". This is why I hate these terms. A "NAS" is simply a PC where you store all your data that is hooked up to your router. "Networked Attached Storage". (This goes for the CLOUD, which is basically paying someone for a NAS that you could easily build yourself and avoid the monthly fee that these people want to charge you, or the term "App" which is hilarious that people think apps are brand new when everything is technically an "App". Most of these names are just branding to make it simple to the consumer who doesn't want to do ANY thinking).

I simply have my PC with all my storage on it. And I shared the folders with all my media using the share function that's been built into Windows for awhile. Boom, my media is accessible on every PC/device in the house.

It's all much easier than it seems, it just is the fear of doing something new and worrying about things that can go wrong (most of which is way blown out of proportion).

Setting up the NUC is literally plugging in ram, installing OPEN ELEC. If you can't do it in under 15 minutes without minimal thinking then there is an issue lol.
Yeah. I'm guilty of going cheap a few times. At least I'm on the right path!
I get it, I just get freaked at buying stuff and breaking everything.
I've hacked game systems, I've rooted phones, I've recovered lost data from destroyed PCs, but only with guides and research and digging, etc. I was hoping to avoid time waste and returning stuff.

I should be good now. I'm going to get both and test. Hopefully both operations play and don't freeze up my vids.

As far as the NAS, my phones backup to my laptop, my laptops network. I kinda just want a central cloud that isn't a laptop, A BACKUP of that device, and maybe have remote access. Baby steps.

As far as buying cloud storage, I only see the point for important document redundancy. Nobody would pay to have their movies stored, right? Nonsense.
Well you can build a NAS. It's just building a PC. Or you can purchase one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...24G1730084

Highly competitive with what you could build. For the convenience, the price premium is probably worth it for you.

You can watch a video of a person putting a PC together. There are tons of them. I actually watched a person work in my case before I purchased it. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an annoying case to work with.
The NUC though is only a 1 step installation process for you so it really isn't building a PC. It's just pushing 1-2 pieces into place and you're set to go. You don't need a guide for it. If you can plug in a USB drive into a PC, you can plug ram into a board.

Unless you're trying to play a special format (x265 for example) both devices should handle just about anything you throw at them. No real need to worry. If you had special files that required something extra you'd have most likely went well out of your way to obtain them. And if you did that, you'd also at that point know the reason why you needed those files and would know the CPU requirements of hte files etc.
(2014-04-18, 15:03)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 16:06)warlock09 Wrote: Any thoughts on this? Shld. I get it or not...thinking of upgrading my old acer revo r3600 to this one...thanks...any suggestions..would be great..especially running xbmc...

http://m.morecomputers.com/prod.aspx?pn=...YyNzg4MTgw

That link is not working for me, from where is that online shop? US? I'm in south america and looking for that box.
I already purchased the chromobox but hasn't arrive yet, I want to compare both and keep one.

Thanks

Its UK online shop..i have ordered mine here:;

http://m.dabs.com/products/intel-nuc-for...nuc&src=16

But its only order upon request, im not getting it till first week of may..thats what i have been told by customers services!!hope it helps anybody here in The UK who wants one!!im a little bit upset:@:@but will see if i get it!!
I too have been considering the NUC - Celeron and almost ordered the components. But then came across all the talk about XBMC on Fire TV. Setting up the NUC won't be an issue for me (I have built PCs before), but I have no experience of using XBMC on anything other than a Windows 7 PC.

So my question is, between NUC and FTV, where would it be *easier* to use XBMC? Especially in terms of on screen navigation, adding things to Favorites, searching, fast forward, rewind, shutdown etc. Would it require an elaborate kind of setup to get any remote to do these kind of things?

Thanks in advance for the response.
I vote NUC. There is a huge post on XBMC on the FTV. I'd like to try, but I'd it's anything like an Ouya, it will work, but you won't be happy about it in the long run. File compatibility would be a concern for me. It's why I'm unsure of Chromebox, but I ordered one and am searching out a good NUC today. I'd test the fire, but I dont want to burn more money. Buy one at Best Buy, try it, and take it back?
(2014-04-19, 19:05)McButton Wrote: I vote NUC. There is a huge post on XBMC on the FTV. I'd like to try, but I'd it's anything like an Ouya, it will work, but you won't be happy about it in the long run. File compatibility would be a concern for me. It's why I'm unsure of Chromebox, but I ordered one and am searching out a good NUC today. I'd test the fire, but I dont want to burn more money. Buy one at Best Buy, try it, and take it back?

Yes, that is where I am going to get it from. It would be a less expensive alternative to NUC, plus can be returned. I'd imagine Ouya would be sort of similar to FTV. Are you able to do everything in it with a remote? I am considering this MCE remote.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101008

Would I need to do something complicated to get it bring up context menus etc in XBMC? Thanks
(2014-04-19, 19:05)McButton Wrote: File compatibility would be a concern for me. It's why I'm unsure of Chromebox, but I ordered one and am searching out a good NUC today.

not sure what you mean by "file compatibility." If there's anything you'd like me to test I'm happy to do so, but as I posted in the CB thread, it plays full Bluray rips (extracted from disc to .mkv, no re-encode, with 40Mbit/s video streams) without a hiccup

(2014-04-19, 23:03)squarecut1 Wrote: Yes, that is where I am going to get it from. It would be a less expensive alternative to NUC, plus can be returned. I'd imagine Ouya would be sort of similar to FTV. Are you able to do everything in it with a remote? I am considering this MCE remote.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101008

Would I need to do something complicated to get it bring up context menus etc in XBMC? Thanks

on a standard MCE remote, the 'Guide' button brings up the context menu. I came across this remote locally, going to pick up one or two Mon and give them a try. Mainly interested in the IR receiver as I use a Harmony One for everything

http://www.discountelectronics.com/produ...t_id=17802
File compatibility for the Fire, since Ouya has some troubles. I'll pass on the fire. It's too new, and I don't want more inconsistencies. Chrome ordered. Still checking NUCs. Can't find one with specs I like better than the 2820... Which is still not available.
(2014-04-20, 03:29)McButton Wrote: File compatibility for the Fire, since Ouya has some troubles. I'll pass on the fire. It's too new, and I don't want more inconsistencies. Chrome ordered. Still checking NUCs. Can't find one with specs I like better than the 2820... Which is still not available.

With minimal effort (Matt has certainly done of good job of limiting what needs to be done), chromebox will be great addition to the xbmc family. I just replaced my aging revo 1600. Working so well now, looking to buy 1 or 2 more of them to get rid of the comcrap boxes I have (using hdhomerun prime w/mythtv).

Just one persons opinion......but you should be fine with your purchase.

speedbal
I've got the Acer C720 Chromebook, which is pretty close in specs to the Asus Chromebox (same SSD, RAM, CPU+GPU combo etc.). It works brilliantly with OpenElec. Blu-ray lossless rips, HD Audio over HDMI etc. all great, and it can de-interlace 1080i content (needed for Live TV and some Blu-rays) using a high-quality de-interlace.

The Celeron 2955U in both devices is probably one of the best CPU+GPU combos for low-cost XBMC boxes available at the moment (it can YADIF 2x de-interlace in software - which I don't think the BayTrail NUC with the N2820 can) If you watch Live TV and have HDTV sources, or have 1080i Blu-rays (concerts etc.) the Chromebox will outperform the N2820 - though it doesn't have a SATA i/f or internal IR receiver.

It's a pity Intel don't do a 2955U NUC - though Gigabyte do a 2955U Brix (without an integrated IR receiver), and the Chromebox is great value.
(2014-04-19, 17:34)squarecut1 Wrote: So my question is, between NUC and FTV, where would it be *easier* to use XBMC? Especially in terms of on screen navigation, adding things to Favorites, searching, fast forward, rewind, shutdown etc. Would it require an elaborate kind of setup to get any remote to do these kind of things?

Thanks in advance for the response.

I can't comment on the FTV, but with the NUC (the Celeron one anyway) it's a case of install Openelec and plug in a Microsoft-compatible (R6, I think) remote. That's all. All keys are sensibly mapped and the system is very responsive. I did that for my parents and it's the best xbmc experience I've had so far.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idiot's Guide to Chromebox & NUC2