[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)
My use of dual audio is similar to Gurabli. Audio output 1 goes to my hifi DAC (via USB), while output 2 is to the TV speakers via HDMI. My primary use is music, so I turn on my amp and often leave the TV off completely, using Kore app on an Android tablet as a remote control. If I do put the TV on (to do something the app interface does not support, check the guide, or programme my PVR etc.) I mute the TV sound. Conversely most of my video viewing is done with my amp off just using the TV speakers, but if I am watching a really good movie with a worthwhile soundtrack then I can turn on the hifi (and mute the TV). I never listen to both outputs at the same time.

Quote:This makes my htpc running Kodi my central entertainment system, and with DualAudio it is doing the job magnificently.
Yes, same here!

Could be interesting to know how other dual audio users use this variant. How many want simultaneous/synched output, how many just want to be able switch between devices easily? Of course they are just happily out there using it, and unlikely to be reading this thread!

(2015-08-07, 09:58)FernetMenta Wrote: Kodi is an open source project that means that a new feature does not need "official" interest to be implemented. Anyone can do it. But as we mentioned several times: we won't integrate code that is not done properly.

I think I have already mentioned the biggest flaw of this code here. You need to find a solution how to make a/v sync working for multiple audio devices. Feel free to ask questions, I am happy to help.

I totaly support maintaining coding standards, and did not mean any offence. Yes as an excellent opensource project anyone can submit code, however time pressures on monitors and the needs to maintain project integrity means that anything more than a small patch, no matter how well implemented, is unlikely to be embraced easily. I suspect a new contributor would have to earn some respect first too. I am not complaining, just being realistic. But hey, lets talk and see if we can move forward.

What I don't understand is your assertion that multiple audio output needs to be synched. Why? It obviously makes the solution harder, and current users of the dual audio (like myself) are happy without synching.

Next question, why does a "proper solution" have to support multiple output to more than two devices? Again if it is harder, surely having two is a good first step? In my case it would be sufficient too. Just how many users really want more?

Perhaps there is confusion over what this project is trying to do? I think the fundamental user requirement is to be able to send audio to both a TV (audio to the video device) and to another audio device, in such a way that you can switch easily (e.g. single button press) and instantaneously between them, but not necessarily listen to both at the same time. Switching audio output device needs to be controlable without having to turn on the TV (video device), so that if listening to the TV sound was the last use you don't need to turn on the TV to switch audio output to the other audio device.

Having the audio always come out of both outputs, and controlling which one you are listening to by using the devices themselves seems an efficient approach. It can be clearly stated that the sound is not synchronised.

I am still unclear what code is impacted by this unofficial patch, not saying I can do anything to contribute but I would love to know.

Messages In This Thread
Thank you! - by OCDHD - 2014-06-26, 03:56
Works great! Thank you! - by britishopen93 - 2014-07-18, 12:43
RPi Openelec.. how to.. - by kramegna - 2014-12-03, 17:27
RE: [Project] Return of the Dual Audio Output support (Helix/Gotham/Frodo) - by DaveBlake - 2015-08-07, 21:38
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)9