How to boot XBMC directly into Movies or TV Shows or an Addon
Hi,

Someone asked this question on the XBMC section of Reddit so I thought I'd post my reply here too which consolidates a few threads from the forums and will hopefully aid in further searches for the same answer.

How to Boot XBMC into an Addon (Advanced Launcher in this case)

This thread details how to autostart an addon upon XBMC startup

Moderator Edit
Autoexec.py is deprecated in Kodi and no longer works. You will need to use Autoexec Service... https://kodi.wiki/view/Autoexec_Service

Essentially you need to put this Autoexec.py file in your userdata folder which on Windows can be found at:

%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\

The Autoexec.py simply contains 2 lines of code:

Code:
import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin("RunAddon(plugin.program.advanced.launcher)")

XBMC then boots directly to the addon listed in Autoexec.py. Edit the Autoexec.py to change the addon you wish to boot into. Open the addon.xml of your chosen addon to find the addon ID you need to enter. In this case it is plugin.program.advanced.launcher

How to Boot XBMC into the Programs Section

This thread shows how to make XBMC boot into "Programs" or "Movies" or "TV Shows" or any other XBMC window you like. Although you will need to edit Home.xml to achieve this. You may need the following WIKI pages to see what the different XBMC window ID's are:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Window_IDs
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ope...nd_Dialogs

Here is a copy of my confluence Home.xml which I have edited to boot XBMC directly into "Programs"

Just replace your confluence Home.xml which (for confluence at least) is located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\720p

If you dont use confluence then add the following line:

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(Programs,return)</onload>

immediately after

Code:
<defaultcontrol always="true">9000</defaultcontrol>

which is at the start of the xml, such that it appears like so in your skins Home.xml:

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(Programs,return)</onload>

If you dont use confluence you can find your skin files and Home.xml in:

%APPDATA%\XBMC\addons\Your Skin Folder\720p\Home.xml

How to Boot XBMC into the Movies Section

This confluence Home.xml will boot directly into Movies

Code to insert into Home.xml for skins other than confluence:

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(Videos,MovieTitles,return)</onload>

How to Boot XBMC into the TV Shows Section

This confluence Home.xml will boot directly into TV Shows

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(Videos,TvShowTitles,return)</onload>

How to Boot XBMC into a Smart Playlist

Edit Audiobooks.xsp in the code below to the name of your Smart Playlist and also change the path if it is not a music playlist then insert this code into your Home.xml as described above.

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(10025,special://profile/playlists/music/Audiobooks.xsp,return)</onload>
This is almost what I'm looking for. I want to map a button on my remote to perform these separate actions, is that possible? Ex. I am in the middle of WMC, and when I press the Movies/TV/Green button it will open accordingly in XBMC to however I programmed these.
(2014-04-19, 17:05)Shaolin Wrote: How to Boot XBMC into the Movies Section

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(Videos,MovieTitles,return)</onload>

Hi Shaolin,

First of all I would like to thank you for this post because this was exactly what I was looking. I inserted the code in my Home.xml file (I use the MQ5 skin) and now Kodi boots directly into my MOVIES. However, when booting up the MAIN MENU is seen for a few miliseconds or so. Is there a way to solve this?
Don't dream your life, live your dream
(2014-04-19, 17:05)Shaolin Wrote: Hi,

Someone asked this question on the XBMC section of Reddit so I thought I'd post my reply here too which consolidates a few threads from the forums and will hopefully aid in further searches for the same answer.

How to Boot XBMC into an Addon (Advanced Launcher in this case)

This thread details how to autostart an addon upon XBMC startup

Essentially you need to put this Autoexec.py file in your userdata folder which on Windows can be found at:

%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\

The Autoexec.py simply contains 2 lines of code:

Code:
import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin("RunAddon(plugin.program.advanced.launcher)")

XBMC then boots directly to the addon listed in Autoexec.py. Edit the Autoexec.py to change the addon you wish to boot into. Open the addon.xml of your chosen addon to find the addon ID you need to enter. In this case it is plugin.program.advanced.launcher

How to Boot XBMC into the Programs Section

This thread shows how to make XBMC boot into "Programs" or "Movies" or "TV Shows" or any other XBMC window you like. Although you will need to edit Home.xml to achieve this. You may need the following WIKI pages to see what the different XBMC window ID's are:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Window_IDs
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ope...nd_Dialogs

Here is a copy of my confluence Home.xml which I have edited to boot XBMC directly into "Programs"

Just replace your confluence Home.xml which (for confluence at least) is located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\addons\skin.confluence\720p

If you dont use confluence then add the following line:

Code:

immediately after

Code:

which is at the start of the xml, such that it appears like so in your skins Home.xml:

Code:

If you dont use confluence you can find your skin files and Home.xml in:

%APPDATA%\XBMC\addons\Your Skin Folder\720p\Home.xml

How to Boot XBMC into the Movies Section

Code:

How to Boot XBMC into the TV Shows Section

This confluence Home.xml will boot directly into TV Shows

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(Videos,TvShowTitles,return)</onload>

How to Boot XBMC into a Smart Playlist

Edit Audiobooks.xsp in the code below to the name of your Smart Playlist and also change the path if it is not a music playlist then insert this code into your Home.xml as described above.

Code:
<onload condition="Window.Previous(startup)">ActivateWindow(10025,special://profile/playlists/music/Audiobooks.xsp,return)</onload>

I'll try it
Anyone achieved to install advanced launcher on kodi 15 ? I tried to install zip file downloaded from github but I received an incorrect structure extension.

Thank you !
Hi, I'm starting here today, though I know Kodi since it was XBMC.
This thread fits my needs, I intend to boot Kodi under Movies, more specifically under this screen:

Using the Home.xml provided above, it boots up under movies, but I have to tap Recently added to open up the screen above.

Thanks for reading!
Hi,

This works great in Windows, but how is it done in Ubuntu?

I tried the autoexec.py with the following, but it doesn't work:

import xbmc
xbmc.executebuiltin('XBMC.ActivateWindow(myvideolibrary,movietitles)')
Thanks for the share.
Thanks for share very helpful thread
Thank for sharing this helpful information.
I'm wanting to do this as well on an OpenElec pc.  Trying to set the startup to go to MOVIES, but that's not an option in the skin settings.  I found a thread that references how to edit the startup.xml file and I can get to that file via WinSCP, however the permissions on the system files/folders do not let me alter the existing Startup.xml file at all (cannot delete, rename, edit, etc).

How can I replace the details within this xml file?  I'm connecting to it on a Windows 10 pc via WinSCP.  Is there a better method of connecting to the system files or any way to edit the permissions on these files?

--Rick
Thank you, this just helped me a huge amount. Thanks so much!
Thanks, I need this.
I use this to start directly into my files section
Quote:import xbmc

xbmc.executebuiltin('ActivateWindow(Videos,Sources://video/,return)')
(2014-04-19, 17:05)Shaolin Wrote: Essentially you need to put this Autoexec.py file in your userdata folder which on Windows can be found at:
This is deprecated and no longer works in Kodi.

The new method is to use Autoexec Service.
See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Autoexec_Service
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to boot XBMC directly into Movies or TV Shows or an Addon1