• 3(current)
WIP Tube
Updated the readme file, making the font downloading a bit easier for people who aren't familiar with Google Fonts. Wink

XBMC Resume probably uses the DialogContextMenu.xml dialog, which works fine (up to a certain number of items, after which it will burn down in flames).
I think there should also be an option for both horizontal and vertical layouts, so rather than going right you'd go down but apart from that it's perfect
This is looking very tidy indeed. Good work fella!
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
this is getting really good, just downloaded the github version and give it a try.
some suggestions/features that could be great additions:
- a banner view for TV Shows
- option to hide description on fanart view (useful for online video that don't have a description)
- idea: on poster view: show item info for the selected item after some time (on a overlay inside the poster, like on windows 8 metro tiles/optional feature that can be enabled or disabled)
- option to add a global background (fanart/user-specified image folder)
- subtitle selector: add a little transparency, so you can still see the video in the background when selecting the subtitle
hope you like any of these ideas Big Grin
Just tested the skin.
You know the most amazing thing? the skin is only 287kb for now Big Grin Loving that so much Big Grin
My remarks:
- i have some weird things going on in the movie section in poster view:
- some posters are not showing.
- when i move around and the skin loads new posters sometimes i end up in an endless fadeout/fadein of all posters. Can't easily reproduce it though
- the video OSD is perfect! you did not implement video and audio settings right? (which i absolutely don't care about Tongue)
- every time i move my mouse over XBMC window, the view settings menu appears. If you don't want to support mouse can you disable it?
- i have moved and (not at they were already)renamed the fonts correctly. Though i am not sure they draw correctly. See the "s" http://i.imgur.com/zGmux7N.png

Now i almost have everything i need in your skin. Only things i miss are :
- recently added for movies and tvshows (maybe even watchlist in the future...)
- home menu widgets for those recently added (unwatched) items would be AMAZING
- may be now playing somewhere on homescreen for when using airplay

Amazing job!
(2014-05-28, 10:19)carmenm Wrote: Just tested the skin.
You know the most amazing thing? the skin is only 287kb for now Big Grin Loving that so much Big Grin
My remarks:
- i have some weird things going on in the movie section in poster view:
- some posters are not showing.
- when i move around and the skin loads new posters sometimes i end up in an endless fadeout/fadein of all posters. Can't easily reproduce it though
- the video OSD is perfect! you did not implement video and audio settings right? (which i absolutely don't care about Tongue)
- every time i move my mouse over XBMC window, the view settings menu appears. If you don't want to support mouse can you disable it?
- i have moved and (not at they were already)renamed the fonts correctly. Though i am not sure they draw correctly. See the "s" http://i.imgur.com/zGmux7N.png

Now i almost have everything i need in your skin. Only things i miss are :
- recently added for movies and tvshows (maybe even watchlist in the future...)
- home menu widgets for those recently added (unwatched) items would be AMAZING
- may be now playing somewhere on homescreen for when using airplay

Amazing job!

Where do you get the skin? I can't see any download link.

If this skin is only 287kb, i think this skin should be quiet smooth on the raspberry pi.

You can turn off the mouse and touch support in the system settings (if i remember correct in the input section).

I would love to use that skin, the only thing i am missing so far (from the screenshots) is live-tv support.

@Mesoptier do you got a donation button for you great work?

Best regards

Andreas

[EDIT]
Found it! Github Repo, i will test this skin tomorrow.
[/EDIT]
Ok, couldn't wait till tomorrow, this skin is great!

Superfast, very minimalistic. I wonder how it will perform on the raspberry.

I am missing a few things, but i they will certain come in the future. However is it possible to change the background color?
This grey is a bit depressing. I would like to see some more color like in the conq skin from hitcher.

Thank you for this skin

Best regards

Andreas
Thanks for all the feedback and kind words!

You need to understand that I have to consider each element of the skin, I'm trying to leave out as many unnecessary ones as possible to keep the skin as simple as possible. So while I will consider some of your ideas, I cannot add everything, because the skin would quickly turn into a huge mess.

The whole 287kb size thing is not entirely true, by the way. The zip file is about that size, but once unzipped it's a bit bigger. On the other hand there are some .PSD files of some of the resources, which take up some space. The reason for the skin being so small besides all that, is the amount of image. I'm currently only using ~20 images, some of which are only 1x1 pixels in size.

@fabiomello

a banner view for TV Shows
Although I have never used (or really appreciated) the banner view, I'll consider adding it at some point.

option to hide description on fanart view (useful for online video that don't have a description)
Something like this?

(this view bothers me a whole lot, it's 1px shorter than the other views... :p)

idea: on poster view: show item info for the selected item after some time (on a overlay inside the poster, like on windows 8 metro tiles/optional feature that can be enabled or disabled)
I figured the videoinfo dialog (i) would suffice, provided it opened fast enough. I'll think about adding something like this, but it's going to be difficult to keep it tidy.

option to add a global background (fanart/user-specified image folder)
It seems everybody wants to have fancy background images.. I'll try it out and see what it looks like, and add it if I like it. Smile

subtitle selector: add a little transparency, so you can still see the video in the background when selecting the subtitle
This isn't particularly important for the subtitle dialog, because the video automatically pauses, but it is for the video and audio settings, which is why I already added this to my to-do list!

@carmenm

some posters are not showing.
I'll need some more specifics to solve this. Do the posters show up in other skins? If so, in which skin?

when i move around and the skin loads new posters sometimes i end up in an endless fadeout/fadein of all posters. Can't easily reproduce it though
Loading posters is handled by XBMC itself. But if this ever happens again, please post the details of what you were doing (view type, playing video, etc.) so I can fix it.

the video OSD is perfect! you did not implement video and audio settings right? (which i absolutely don't care about)
Not yet, but it's mostly going to be a copy of the settings XML files, so it shouldn't take particularly long.

i have moved and (not at they were already)renamed the fonts correctly. Though i am not sure they draw correctly.
Do you happen to be running the skin in a resolution other than 1920x1080? Because XBMC has some weird scaling glitches. This is not likely to be a mistake of your placing of the fonts.

recently added for movies and tvshows (maybe even watchlist in the future...)
home menu widgets for those recently added (unwatched) items would be AMAZING
may be now playing somewhere on homescreen for when using airplay
I do want to redesign the home menu to become more of a hub, and I'll of course add those widgets. Smile

@regnets

I would love to use that skin, the only thing i am missing so far (from the screenshots) is live-tv support.
I'm not going to be working on PVR support for a while, so if you really want live TV you're better off using a different skin until then.

@Mesoptier do you got a donation button for you great work?
Not until it's even remotely finished, and probably not after that either! Wink

Superfast, very minimalistic. I wonder how it will perform on the raspberry.
It's very small indeed, but I am using a bunch of animations and variables, which (I believe) can cause some problems on the Pi.

This grey is a bit depressing. I would like to see some more color like in the conq skin from hitcher.
I'll have a mess about with this. Back when I was still only working on this in Photoshop I actually had more of a blue-greyish background, but one night I decided to go with plain grey after all. But yes, different colour themes are a possibility.
(2014-05-28, 20:15)Mesoptier Wrote: You need to understand that I have to consider each element of the skin, I'm trying to leave out as many unnecessary ones as possible to keep the skin as simple as possible. So while I will consider some of your ideas, I cannot add everything, because the skin would quickly turn into a huge mess.

This is one of the most important things to remember when skinning - at the end of the day it's your vision.

(2014-05-28, 20:15)Mesoptier Wrote: I'm currently only using ~20 images, some of which are only 1x1 pixels in size.

Also, textures should be at least 8x8 pixels to avoid problems when converting them to a texture.xbt. Adding border="1" also helps.
Looks fantastic. I always love these minimalistic skins. Any chance you'll create a view where there's online on row of items instead of two? Both in tv/movie sections. Thanks.
(2014-05-28, 20:15)Mesoptier Wrote: ...
option to hide description on fanart view (useful for online video that don't have a description)
Something like this?

exactly. that can be nice on some media nodes/addons. could be added as a option on the view selection screen Smile

about the home screen, do you plan on making it more media-centric like Underground 4 or Underground (from your skin concepts)?
with the current home design, i think it could become a little bloated if you add the rest of the xbmc features (add ons/programs/music/etc) in a horizontal list.
small bug: - changing volume is not working on video
also, kudos on the trakt popup. never seen a skin with that feature, it looks awesome.
(2014-05-29, 01:38)fabiomello Wrote:
(2014-05-28, 20:15)Mesoptier Wrote: ...
Something like this?

exactly. that can be nice on some media nodes/addons. could be added as a option on the view selection screen Smile

about the home screen, do you plan on making it more media-centric like Underground 4 or Underground (from your skin concepts)?
with the current home design, i think it could become a little bloated if you add the rest of the xbmc features (add ons/programs/music/etc) in a horizontal list.
also, kudos on the trakt popup. never seen a skin with that feature, it looks awesome.
I agree this can be really nice for episode list for example, or tvshows list.

(2014-05-28, 20:15)Mesoptier Wrote: The whole 287kb size thing is not entirely true, by the way. The zip file is about that size, but once unzipped it's a bit bigger. On the other hand there are some .PSD files of some of the resources, which take up some space. The reason for the skin being so small besides all that, is the amount of image. I'm currently only using ~20 images, some of which are only 1x1 pixels in size.
@carmenm

some posters are not showing.
I'll need some more specifics to solve this. Do the posters show up in other skins? If so, in which skin?

when i move around and the skin loads new posters sometimes i end up in an endless fadeout/fadein of all posters. Can't easily reproduce it though
Loading posters is handled by XBMC itself. But if this ever happens again, please post the details of what you were doing (view type, playing video, etc.) so I can fix it.

the video OSD is perfect! you did not implement video and audio settings right? (which i absolutely don't care about)
Not yet, but it's mostly going to be a copy of the settings XML files, so it shouldn't take particularly long.

i have moved and (not at they were already)renamed the fonts correctly. Though i am not sure they draw correctly.
Do you happen to be running the skin in a resolution other than 1920x1080? Because XBMC has some weird scaling glitches. This is not likely to be a mistake of your placing of the fonts.

recently added for movies and tvshows (maybe even watchlist in the future...)
home menu widgets for those recently added (unwatched) items would be AMAZING
may be now playing somewhere on homescreen for when using airplay
I do want to redesign the home menu to become more of a hub, and I'll of course add those widgets. Smile
You are right 278kb is for the zip one. But some skins go over 80mb zipped. You are right to mention it though.
About the poster problem, i want to test on other skins but now Tube doesn't let me change skin Big Grin
I think Tube is feeling so good in my XBMC conf that it prevents me from removing it Big Grin Which is totally fine with me !
Seriously i am not sure where it comes from but pressing enter on the skin entry in appearance does nothing.
I still managed to change the skin and you are right it doesn't work with other skins. Sorry Confused i didn't see it because the other skins show the fanart when no poster.

About the font scaling problem. You are right that was it. I test skins on osx xbmc conf running in a window, so with a custom scale... I think you are right and my fonts might be loading correctly

You had me dreaming of the home screen ....

Thanks
Loving the OSD and the fact is doesnt hinder Subtitles like 90% of the other Skins out there, while still being visible.

Does this currently work for Gotham?
(2014-05-29, 01:38)fabiomello Wrote: about the home screen, do you plan on making it more media-centric like Underground 4 or Underground (from your skin concepts)?
I don't have any designs (or concrete ideas) yet for the home screen, but I was planning on something grid-like. The current home screen was actually only designed for Movies & TV Shows, the settings button is just temporary and I'm not planning on supporting programs/music for a while. Sorry to the people who do use these features..

The volume probably changes just fine, you don't see a slider-dialog-popup-thingamabob because I haven't implemented it yet Tongue

(2014-05-29, 14:27)carmenm Wrote: You are right 278kb is for the zip one. But some skins go over 80mb zipped. You are right to mention it though.
About the poster problem, i want to test on other skins but now Tube doesn't let me change skin Big Grin
I think Tube is feeling so good in my XBMC conf that it prevents me from removing it Big Grin Which is totally fine with me !
Seriously i am not sure where it comes from but pressing enter on the skin entry in appearance does nothing.
Last night I pushed a pretty basic DialogSelect.xml, so you can now change skins again, after updating.

(2014-05-29, 17:42)soxism Wrote: Loving the OSD and the fact is doesnt hinder Subtitles like 90% of the other Skins out there, while still being visible.

Does this currently work for Gotham?
Thanks, the OSD is one of my favourite parts, I really like how it turned out.

Yep! And I'm using some new Gotham features and fixes, so the skin wouldn't even work on anything before Gotham.
Tried the skin on the Raspberry Pi and it is very fluid. I loved the clean interface. Also loved the OSD and had no issues in playing videos.

In the current implementation I found the below quirks.

1. Is the time supposed to be so much padding for time?

2. Clicking on the skin name doesn't bring up the skin chooser.

Do you plan to add music, pictures, addons and shutdown menu to the home screen?

I don't have any TV shows, it would be great if we can configure the categories for the home screen.

I also found audio settings and exoert/beginner settings level selection to be missing.

Overall a great skin and will keep an eye on the development.

Thanks for the pre-alpha
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tube9