Linux Updated to 14.04,now xbmc crashes
In what way? Did a text editor open up?
I typed the command in the terminal window.
Then it froze.

I've since tried this I found on ubuntu

"The solution is ready, but somehow isn't available on default Ubuntu package sources yet (at least not for me). So, a way to solve this is to import the developer PPA and install the patched package directly:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:timo-jyrinki/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian
You can later remove the PPA with:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
sudo ppa-purge ppa:timo-jyrinki/ppa

That failed at purge .

I think I'm getting myself deeper in the mire Sad
Really strange that the terminal froze after that command, all it does is copy a file then open it in a text editor. I tested it on my 14.04 machine and it works as should.
(2014-04-29, 20:57)teeedubb Wrote: Really strange that the terminal froze after that command, all it does is copy a file then open it in a text editor.

text editor didn't open.

Software updater has just tried to install some updates.It gets as far as firefox and fails Sad

Would I be better off trying a fresh install or will it not make any difference ?
Well its impossible to know with out more info, but yeah sounds like your system is messed up, and it will probably be easier to reinstall.

For future reference, post more information! Simply saying it doesn't work is no help to anyone. Post log files, terminal output, error messages, detailed descriptions of what happened.
OK. Thanks for your help. Think I'll go back to 13.10.At least I know that works....with some fettling
God luck downgrading and getting it to work. If you cant fix and upgrade gone wrong, nothing short of a full restore of some backup you never made in first place, gonna fix it Wink
There was nothing to back up.The only software on that particular computer that I use is firefox and xbmc for live streaming.

I have some strange hardware,the only distro I could get to work at all was 13.10 and even that wasn't easy.

It almost makes me want to go back to windows Smile
Just to let you know a fresh install of ubuntu 14.04 is working fine
Good to know. Disable backing store and away hope for the best.
I'm getting some screen tearing on 14.04 with XBMC. Hopefully someone out there knows of a quick fix.

I'm using a 64-bit setup with this install script
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369
(2014-05-05, 04:29)DDM123 Wrote: I'm getting some screen tearing on 14.04 with XBMC. Hopefully someone out there knows of a quick fix.

I'm using a 64-bit setup with this install script
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=141369

Did you even read through the two pages in the thread you just posted in? There's two different fixes listed here...
nevermind
(2014-05-05, 04:39)DDM123 Wrote: Calm down spaz.

The fixes in this thread didn't apply to me since I don't use lightdm and can't find a place to edit the xserver command.

This worked for me though:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/450593/ho...nvidia-331

I'm not the spaz that can't read...
whoops

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated to 14.04,now xbmc crashes0