Frame Step by Step
Hello,

first I must say I am very impressed about XMBC and it is the best DVD Player software I've found.

But one elementary feature is missing.

If I am pressing the pause button, I can not step one frame forward or backward. But this is a feature which has everey standalone dvd player. So I'm hoping that this feature will implemented in the near future.

Best wishes
Bernhard
Standalone dvd players decode mpeg2 which do not have fancy encoding tricks like h264. Single stepping h264 is a pain in the rear and very difficult to implement, specially with hardware decoders.
For the short term, this is a feature of XBMC for the Raspberry Pi, since the Pi has some special sauce in how it plays back video.
Thanks for your answer.
I know it isn't easy to implement such a thing. So I'm looking forward for XBMC 14 (which has Frame by Frame stepping and Slow motion). Then I think XBMC is perfect for me.
Best wishes
Bernhard
who said v14 will have that?
I can looking in the future. No, it was only a joke.

But I have a question to the keyboard.xml. I want to try to map a key which executes two actions.
Is it possible to do two actions one after another.

For example like :

<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<p>Pause;Pause</p>
</keyboard>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

I don't know which is the syntax if I want to call two actions one after another. In my example I have use the ; char. But this is wrong.

Is such a thing possible?

Best wishes
Bernhard
Now I have a solution for me.

the following script does what I want :

import xbmc, time
xbmc.executebuiltin("XBMC.PlayerControl(Play)")
time.sleep(0.01)
xbmc.executebuiltin("XBMC.PlayerControl(Play)")

First, I'm typing on the keyboard the normal Pause key. After that I'm click on a special key which I have mapped in keyboard.xml and runs the above script.

Best wishes
Bernhard
Can anyone please help me to get the above script to work? I tired to copy it to my keyboard.xml but didn't work. I'm using SPMC but also tired it on Kodi for Windows. There i also tired to change the 'XBMC' to 'kodi' but didn't help. Nothing at all happens when I pressed the mapped button so hard to know what is wrong when there is no error message. I'm new to this so I might missing something basic.
Please anyone can help?
I just came across this thread. I too would like this feature. In SageTV you press pause once and the video will pause. Press pause again and the video advances a single frame. Press play and the video resumes.
(2014-04-30, 16:45)davilla Wrote: Standalone dvd players decode mpeg2 which do not have fancy encoding tricks like h264. Single stepping h264 is a pain in the rear and very difficult to implement, specially with hardware decoders.

MPC-H has this feature and it works ok with H264

Maybe you can take a look at how they do it
MPC-H is not using HW decoder chips, does it?
Even if it does, I assume they use a very different video player than we do, which wouldn't make their work very useful to us.
(2015-04-28, 10:25)da-anda Wrote: MPC-H is not using HW decoder chips, does it?

It uses DXVA, if this is what you asked
(2015-04-29, 06:57)Danny3 Wrote:
(2015-04-28, 10:25)da-anda Wrote: MPC-H is not using HW decoder chips, does it?

It uses DXVA, if this is what you asked
No, I was referring to what Davilla said about embedded systems (like anything ARM) that rely on a h264 decoder chip/GPU and that these might not be that easy to convince to do frame stepping or not support it at all, while it might be rather simple for software decoders

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frame Step by Step0