Gotham crashes at startup (Nforce chipset)
XBMC Gotham crashes at startup. Installation went just fine, no hassle
when i boot the system, the first few seconds xbmcbuntu runs fine, then suddenly crashes.

it looks like a fautly video-driver, but think something else is causing the crash.
i get pieces of bitmap displaces all over the screen, flickering/ strobo effects while the system doesn't respond on anything.

i tried connecting vga instead of hmdi, no luck. i tried booting without network and without mouse/keyboard no luck.
the strange thing is: i also tried Openelec 4.0 exact the same issue, same crash, same artifacts.

both XBMCBunto Frodo (12.3) and Openelec 3.2 run like lightning without any issue on the same system.
this also happens when installing the betas (13.0 beta 2,3 and4 both xbmcbuntu and openelec)
i am not able to supply a debug log (because it crashes at startup), but i have a little video to show how it looks.

my system specs:

MSI mainboard: K9N2GM-FIH K9N2GM-FIH
onboard NVIDIA® GeForce 8200

AMD Sempron processor LE-1250
2gb ram

really wierd that this same system runs like lightning on 12.3 frodo no issues at all
please help.
If neither Openelec nor the newer XBMCbuntu versions work, chances are it's really a driver issue. Can you SSH into the machine after it has booted so you can look at various logs?
i just found out that this same machine is corrupting my local network when it crashes.
first i was wondering why suddenly none of my computers had network-access, i reset my computers, my router, my modem.. nothing helped

when i turned off my (crashed) xbmc pc, network came back online. so at point of crashing i cannot acces it via ssh.

still have no clue how to troubleshoot this.
Just wanted to say I've got the exact same issue - my screen looks exactly like the OPs video when it crashes. And the machine isn't on for long enough to be able to get the crash log off!

Also, as per the OP, I tried OpenElec4.0, and got the same issue.

I've tried rebooting to recovery, to try and change the video driver, but so far it's hanging on "switching to clocksource tsc" - going to try and get that fixed after work today.
how about posting a debug log?
(2014-05-08, 17:22)FernetMenta Wrote: how about posting a debug log?

Would love to, and I'm hoping once I get recovery mode sorted to get one, but currently you get about 10 seconds before crashing - and it's a full lock up type crash. SSH, console, etc are all non-responsive.

As already mentioned, I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue - I just need to get in to the machine to change it! Smile
Famous last words, but I think I've got it sorted.

I still can't get recovery mode to work, but I ended up trying something I really should have done first - I pulled up one of the other consoles (CTRL-ALT-F2) in the few seconds before crashing, and since it wasn't using the GPU for anything, it didn't crash!

I then ran:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

and despite a bunch of errors about missing directories, it installed correctly. Rebooting got me a stable (so far Rofl ) XBMC.

Hopefully, it's as simple for the OP!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham crashes at startup (Nforce chipset)1