Play/Pause toggle functionality
Can the Play/Pause toggle functionality be changed somehow in XBMC? Currently the 'P' key on the keyboard toggles between play and pause. When I press 'P' while video is playing, I'd like to have it toggle information instead so that I can see how much time is left in the video that I'm playing.

I have "I" mapped to the Information button on my remote, but it's not in a good location. Plus I'm used to having this functionality in WMC and it messes me up trying to remember that I have to hit the Information button instead if I just want to see how much time is left in a video without pausing it.
You can change what the keys do by changing your keymap. See the wiki for details.
Wow, looks like I need to brush up on my wiki-skimming skills. I've looked at that wiki 100 times and thought it was just for overriding/assigning keys. I didn't realize that you can also detect if video is playing and assign a different action.

Thanks a lot for the help.
So I've tried a bunch of different things to get the functionality to work the way that I want, but can't seem to get it right.

Here is what I'm looking for:
Any time the key 'p' is pressed, video will play (i.e. video is paused, fast forwarding, rewinding, etc.).
If 'p' is pressed while video is playing, it will toggle the Info screen.

My keymap.xml file looks like this:
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Play</p>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
  <FullScreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Info</p>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenVideo>
  <FullScreenInfo>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Play</p>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenInfo>
</keymap>

But that gives undesired results. If I'm fast forwarding and I hit 'p', it will show info, then pause, then play and leave the info screen up. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Does anyone know what the <play_pause> node is for? I would think that if I changed this in the global section to
Code:
<keymap>
   <global>
     <keyboard>
       <play_pause>Info</play_pause>
     </keyboard>
   </global>
</keymap>
that it would toggle the Info but it doesn't.
Try this

Code:
<keymap>
  <FullScreenVideo>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Info</p>
    </keyboard>
  </FullScreenVideo>
  <FullscreenInfo>
    <keyboard>
      <p>Back</p>
    </keyboard>
  </FullscreenInfo>
</keymap>

This is for keyboard. For your remote you have to replace every keyboard with remote and every p with play (or whatever your play button sends).
AFAIK you can't change the function while ff, rw.
Thanks host505. That gets me closer to what I'm looking for, but not being able to hit 'p' to play a video while fast forwarding/rewinding isn't going to work.

Is there a place that gives a better description of the Windows at the bottom of the wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap). Most of them are pretty self explanatory, but some of them like 'movieinformation' aren't clear as to when they show up.

Unless both ff, and rw are only controlled by fullscreenvideo.
(2014-06-02, 21:05)Doctor Eggs Wrote: Is there a place that gives a better description of the Windows at the bottom of the wiki (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=keymap). Most of them are pretty self explanatory, but some of them like 'movieinformation' aren't clear as to when they show up.
Τhese are functions, not keymap segments.
(2014-06-02, 21:05)Doctor Eggs Wrote: Unless both ff, and rw are only controlled by fullscreenvideo.
That's what I said, AFAIK. I'm not aware of a seperate seek segment. And you can't use the same button for info and play/pause. You have to use a different one for info. Pause is odd for this function anyway, haven't heard anyone that wants it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play/Pause toggle functionality0