• 23(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-06-15, 23:13)Netix Wrote: When I'm transferring a file from the Chromebox to my Window 7 PC. I'm only getting ~15MB/sec (The file is on a USB 3.0 on the Chromebox) Do you know what might be the issue ?

Edit :

- Transferring a file from the usb key (3.0) to my windows 7 directly it transfer at ~35mb/sec. It's a cheap usb3 I guess but I should get more then ~15 mb/sec while transferring from the chromebox to the pc ?

copying a ~500MB file between my Win7 PC and a USB3 stick connected to the ChromeBox yielded ~92MB/sec to the flash stick and ~55MB/s from the flash stick
(2014-06-16, 16:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-15, 23:13)Netix Wrote: When I'm transferring a file from the Chromebox to my Window 7 PC. I'm only getting ~15MB/sec (The file is on a USB 3.0 on the Chromebox) Do you know what might be the issue ?

Edit :

- Transferring a file from the usb key (3.0) to my windows 7 directly it transfer at ~35mb/sec. It's a cheap usb3 I guess but I should get more then ~15 mb/sec while transferring from the chromebox to the pc ?

copying a ~500MB file between my Win7 PC and a USB3 stick connected to the ChromeBox yielded ~92MB/sec to the flash stick and ~55MB/s from the flash stick
Thank Matt, I'm gonna try another usb stick to see if my current usb stick is the issue.

Also, in OE if I put a timer to put my display to sleep when I wake up my tv I got no sound coming from the chromebox. I have to do a hard reboot to get the sound back.
Just finished setting up my chromebox using the guide. Thanks to Matt for the great work.
I'm using standalone Fedora 20 + XBMC. Everything work flawlessly except one thing - suspend/resume.
In general suspend/resume works but it just takes a while for resume from sleep - about 3-4 minutes (tested with Fedora, Ubuntu, XBMCbuntu). When the box is in sleep state and I press a keyboard button it wakes up, shows xbmc screen, but freezes for next 3-4 minutes, than releases and I can continue to use it. But after that the box won't sleep again. Funny that cold boot to XBMC (with Fedora) on the box is superfast (about 7-8 seconds - a way faster than with Ubuntu), so I would prefer switching off the box over putting it to sleep, but unfortunately it won't wake up on WOL from shutdown.
Does anybody else experience such issues?
... and sorry for my English.
(2014-06-16, 19:59)Igor2014 Wrote: Just finished setting up my chromebox using the guide. Thanks to Matt for the great work.
I'm using standalone Fedora 20 + XBMC. Everything work flawlessly except one thing - suspend/resume.
In general suspend/resume works but it just takes a while for resume from sleep - about 3-4 minutes (tested with Fedora, Ubuntu, XBMCbuntu). When the box is in sleep state and I press a keyboard button it wakes up, shows xbmc screen, but freezes for next 3-4 minutes, than releases and I can continue to use it. But after that the box won't sleep again. Funny that cold boot to XBMC (with Fedora) on the box is superfast (about 7-8 seconds - a way faster than with Ubuntu), so I would prefer switching off the box over putting it to sleep, but unfortunately it won't wake up on WOL from shutdown.

do me a favor, put the box to sleep (suspend), wake it up (via keyboard), then run from a terminal:
Code:
dmesg > dmesg.txt
and email me the txt file so I can see what's going on. I'll likely need to have you run other commands, but that's a good start
Another thanks to Matt. Got my Chromebox set-up yesterday; great app and guide. Love it, especially how quickly it boots into XBMC (using OpenELEC standalone).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Just bought a chromebox today.. everything works great until I get to the step of creating a backup of the firmware. It reads every device I've connected however once I try to create the backup it says "Special Device 1 does not exist" Backup device failed to mount: cannot proceed". I've tried 2 SD's and 1 USB. Any idea of how to get it to work?
(2014-06-17, 00:36)cheaterguy Wrote: Just bought a chromebox today.. everything works great until I get to the step of creating a backup of the firmware. It reads every device I've connected however once I try to create the backup it says "Special Device 1 does not exist" Backup device failed to mount: cannot proceed". I've tried 2 SD's and 1 USB. Any idea of how to get it to work?

Make sure the device you are using has a single fat32 partition on it. The script isn't currently robust enough to handle more exotic setups. I'll double check things later tonight just to be sure nothing is amiss
(2014-06-17, 01:03)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 00:36)cheaterguy Wrote: Just bought a chromebox today.. everything works great until I get to the step of creating a backup of the firmware. It reads every device I've connected however once I try to create the backup it says "Special Device 1 does not exist" Backup device failed to mount: cannot proceed". I've tried 2 SD's and 1 USB. Any idea of how to get it to work?

Make sure the device you are using has a single fat32 partition on it. The script isn't currently robust enough to handle more exotic setups. I'll double check things later tonight just to be sure nothing is amiss

I will definitely check and try a few other devices. Thanks
(2014-06-17, 01:13)cheaterguy Wrote:
(2014-06-17, 01:03)Matt Devo Wrote:

I will definitely check and try a few other devices. Thanks

Also, be sure you are also typing out the full device name to be used for the backup. In almost all cases, it's going to be '/dev/sdb'. Perhaps in the next version of the script I will make it menu driven so you can just pick the number corresponding to the drive. But the error msg you relayed suggests you didn't type out the device name
(2014-06-16, 20:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-16, 19:59)Igor2014 Wrote: Just finished setting up my chromebox using the guide. Thanks to Matt for the great work.

do me a favor, put the box to sleep (suspend), wake it up (via keyboard), then run from a terminal:
Code:
dmesg > dmesg.txt
and email me the txt file so I can see what's going on. I'll likely need to have you run other commands, but that's a good start

Hi Matt,
Thanks for willingness to help.
Here is the file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88965011/dmeseg.txt
also relevant part from messages log:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8896...ssages.txt
I put the box to sleep at 20:22, waked it up at 20:24 and the box became responsive again at 20:26+.
(2014-06-17, 03:29)Igor2014 Wrote: Hi Matt,
Thanks for willingness to help.
Here is the file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88965011/dmeseg.txt
also relevant part from messages log:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8896...ssages.txt
I put the box to sleep at 20:22, waked it up at 20:24 and the box became responsive again at 20:26+.

looks like it might be due to the TPM module not behaving. Can you add 'tpm_tis.interrupts=0' to your grub kernel boot command list and see if that helps?

edit: tested and that fixes the "long resume" issue with the Fedora live USB, but it's also using a way older kernel so there's other issues as well. what kernel are you running on your Fedora install?
I am picking up a chromebox celeron today at Frys, and I want to make sure I leave with all hardware in hand. I'm hoping the community can save me a few headaches. I have read this and a couple other threads and the wiki, but there are a few things that don't seem clear at least to me.

Usb sticks:
1) can I use usb2 or do I need usb3 stick?
2) size of stick 4, 8, or 16 G?

keyboard:
1) use a wired or wireless (usb2) to flash and install other OS?

memory upgrade;
1) specs for an additional 2G, what voltage for ddr3-1600?

tia
(2014-06-17, 16:01)hudhacks Wrote: I am picking up a chromebox celeron today at Frys, and I want to make sure I leave with all hardware in hand. I'm hoping the community can save me a few headaches. I have read this and a couple other threads and the wiki, but there are a few things that don't seem clear at least to me.

Usb sticks:

keyboard:

memory upgrade;

tia

any USB stick should work at this point. I'd recommend having 3 -- 1 for ChromeOS recovery, 1 for firmware backup, 1 for OS install

some keyboards, both wired/wireless, have issues working on the dev mode boot screen only. I know a logitech K400 will not work, but a K360 does. Once an OS is loaded everything is fine though.

ddr3-12800 1.35v. dual-voltage 1.35v/1.5v RAM should work (I'm using a dual voltage Crucial stick)
(2014-06-17, 16:01)hudhacks Wrote: I am picking up a chromebox celeron today at Frys, and I want to make sure I leave with all hardware in hand. I'm hoping the community can save me a few headaches. I have read this and a couple other threads and the wiki, but there are a few things that don't seem clear at least to me.

Usb sticks:

keyboard:

memory upgrade;

tia

USB sticks:
It is picky until you install coreboot from the script...chances are better with usb2 it seems. However, usb3 worked for me.

keyboard:
Wired for sure until you have completed all the steps to fix the software after which a wireless board will work fine. K400 by logitech works for everything except initial boot screen until you switch to coreboot and then it works fine.

memory:
oem is HYNIX 2Gb RAM MEMORY 1Rx16 DDR3 PC3L-12800S HMT425S6AFR6A-PB , any matching spec stick will work.

Edit: disregard, Matt beat me to the punch. Smile

Usb sticks:

keyboard:

memory upgrade;

tia
I used a generic usb 2.0 to SD card adapter with a 4GB Sandisk SD card, a wired keyboard, and this 4gb SO-DIMM (which cost $36 when i bought it about 6 weeks ago and is no longer available). Any similar speced SO-DIMM should work fine.

Jay
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37