• 25(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-06-19, 01:05)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-06-19, 00:08)Veronica Wrote: Does anyone know how to access OpenElec via VNC? i already have vnc viewer extension installed in chrome in my windows 8 pc and was working fine when i had ubuntu installed.
All relevant posts are about raspberry pi agrr

TIA

[WIP] jDownloader Addon with X-Server and VNC Support (i386 & x86_64)

There are two ways to this addon remotely:

- Using Xming based X-Server
- VNC Connection optionally VNC Connection to XBMC too

Thank tetsuya but i found an easier way in the end. I installed x11vnc addon from unoficiall oe repository and opened 5900 port in my router pointing to the chromebox ip address i had reserved when i set it up, after that VNC connection worked
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I'd like to upgrade to coreboot with this script but I can't seem to get the CN60 Chromebox to boot from USB (ChromiumOS) anymore.

Currently I'm running the SeaBIOS from here:
http://johnlewis.ie/asus-chromebox-owners-rejoice/

and booting a dedicated OpenELEC from the SSD.

Pressing ESC at boot I get the choice of SSD or USB (options 1&2) but it always boots from the hard drive (even if I remove the SSD).
It booted fine before from USB when I installed OpenELEC.

Thanks for all your work Matt.
(2014-06-19, 16:54)live4ever Wrote: I'd like to upgrade to coreboot with this script but I can't seem to get the CN60 Chromebox to boot from USB (ChromiumOS) anymore.

Currently I'm running the SeaBIOS from here:
http://johnlewis.ie/asus-chromebox-owners-rejoice/

and booting a dedicated OpenELEC from the SSD.

Pressing ESC at boot I get the choice of SSD or USB (options 1&2) but it always boots from the hard drive (even if I remove the SSD).
It booted fine before from USB when I installed OpenELEC.

Thanks for all your work Matt.

not sure what you mean by 'it boots from the hard drive even if I remove the SSD' - not sure how that's possible. If you mean the text shows 'booting from hard disk', then that's normal for SeaBIOS - it only distinguishes between hard disk, cdrom, and floppy disk. My custom build is the only one that shows 'booting from USB' for USB devices.

did you try using another USB stick to boot ChromiumOS?
Is anyone else experiencing unresponsivness (kind of a screen hang/freeze) if you leave openelec ON without use for several minutes? the screen just hang and i cant make it work with the remote control, mouse or yatse so i dont think it gets in suspend mode. Also about "suspend mode" when i click on it, the box shutdown so suspend mode doesnt seem to work. Is it a bug in latest openelec or is there a configuration i'm missing?. For now what i care more is that "hang" state because i'm unable to access the hdd attached to the box or ssh the box or access it via VNC.

The only thing i can do is force reboot the chromebox, not nice as i like to safe remove my hdd first.

Ahhh btw what can i do if i press ctrl+alt+F2, it goes into a black screen and nothing can make it go back to openelec, not even ctrl+alt+F7, ONLY a reboot (again not nice).

Thanks
(2014-06-19, 22:00)Veronica Wrote: Is anyone else experiencing unresponsivness (kind of a screen hang/freeze) if you leave openelec ON without use for several minutes? the screen just hang and i cant make it work with the remote control, mouse or yatse so i dont think it gets in suspend mode. Also about "suspend mode" when i click on it, the box shutdown so suspend mode doesnt seem to work. Is it a bug in latest openelec or is there a configuration i'm missing?. For now what i care more is that "hang" state because i'm unable to access the hdd attached to the box or ssh the box or access it via VNC.

OE rebooting when coming out of suspend with the stock firmware is a known issue. Works fine with Coreboot firmware.

Quote:Ahhh btw what can i do if i press ctrl+alt+F2, it goes into a black screen and nothing can make it go back to openelec, not even ctrl+alt+F7, ONLY a reboot (again not nice).

I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. CTRL-ALT-F2 will bring up a terminal with a shell prompt in ChromeOS; in OpenELEC it will likely switch to an uninitialized terminal. CTRL-ALT-F1 should get you back in any case (in both ChromeOS and OE).
(2014-06-19, 23:17)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-19, 22:00)Veronica Wrote: Is anyone else experiencing unresponsivness (kind of a screen hang/freeze) if you leave openelec ON without use for several minutes? the screen just hang and i cant make it work with the remote control, mouse or yatse so i dont think it gets in suspend mode. Also about "suspend mode" when i click on it, the box shutdown so suspend mode doesnt seem to work. Is it a bug in latest openelec or is there a configuration i'm missing?. For now what i care more is that "hang" state because i'm unable to access the hdd attached to the box or ssh the box or access it via VNC.

OE rebooting when coming out of suspend with the stock firmware is a known issue. Works fine with Coreboot firmware.

Quote:Ahhh btw what can i do if i press ctrl+alt+F2, it goes into a black screen and nothing can make it go back to openelec, not even ctrl+alt+F7, ONLY a reboot (again not nice).

I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. CTRL-ALT-F2 will bring up a terminal with a shell prompt in ChromeOS; in OpenELEC it will likely switch to an uninitialized terminal. CTRL-ALT-F1 should get you back in any case (in both ChromeOS and OE).

Hi @matt thanks for the response but you got it wrong, i didn't say it rebooted itself.
The problem is: Say i stop using openelec ok i change to tv mode to watch some tv, then after a while i want to get back to OpenElec and i find the screen hung (frozen, static whatever the thing is it doesn't react) and nothing can make it "wake"or react, only a FORCED (MANUAL) REBOOT. So it's not realiable i cannot access to my attached hdd from my windows 8 pc or SSH the box neather VNC it, NADA.. UNTIL i reboot the box.

NOTE THAT I DO USE THE LATEST VERSION OF COREBOOT.

I also stated that suspend mode is not working right, it seems it shutdown the box INSTEAD... well the upper light of the power button in the box TURNS OFF so that's why i think it shuts down the box but i'm not sure if that's how it is supposed to behaveHuh?
(2014-06-20, 03:03)Veronica Wrote: Hi @matt thanks for the response but you got it wrong, i didn't say it rebooted itself.
The problem is: Say i stop using openelec ok i change to tv mode to watch some tv, then after a while i want to get back to OpenElec and i find the screen hung (frozen, static whatever the thing is it doesn't react) and nothing can make it "wake"or react, only a FORCED (MANUAL) REBOOT. So it's not realiable i cannot access to my attached hdd from my windows 8 pc or SSH the box neather VNC it, NADA.. UNTIL i reboot the box.

I also stated that suspend mode is not working right, it seems it shutdown the box INSTEAD... well the upper light of the power button in the box TURNS OFF so that's why i think it shuts down the box but i'm not sure if that's how it is supposed to behaveHuh?

I've never seen anything like that here, I've left the box running all day, switched inputs (it's connected to my desktop monitor ATM), no issues. After this happens, you should check the logs (accessible via SMB in the \logs dir) to see if it managed to capture anything.

Suspend is supposed to turn off the power button light. When you resume (via the power button, or via WOL by YATSE) it comes back on.

Sounds to me like an add-on or some other process is getting hung up.

The only thing i can do is force reboot the chromebox, not nice as i like to safe remove my hdd first.

Ahhh btw what can i do if i press ctrl+alt+F2, it goes into a black screen and nothing can make it go back to openelec, not even ctrl+alt+F7, ONLY a reboot (again not nice).

Thanks

You can ssh in or type in the TTY that you can't see

Code:
xrandr --auto

it should fix that. I had to do that on my old Ivy Bridge (Xubuntu) once or twice when I forgot to turn the tv and computer off over the weekend when I wasn't home. I just used JuiceSSH on my tablet and fixed it that way.
(2014-06-20, 04:48)tetsuya Wrote:

Thanks

You can ssh in or type in the TTY that you can't see

Code:
xrandr --auto

it should fix that. I had to do that on my old Ivy Bridge (Xubuntu) once or twice when I forgot to turn the tv and computer off over the weekend when I wasn't home. I just used JuiceSSH on my tablet and fixed it that way.

Thanks, i tried SSH in with Putty within my Windows 8 pc (as my tablet's screen broke Sad ) but it doesn't connect i get Network error: Connection timed out
(2014-06-20, 04:21)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-20, 03:03)Veronica Wrote: Hi @matt thanks for the response but you got it wrong, i didn't say it rebooted itself.

I've never seen anything like that here, I've left the box running all day, switched inputs (it's connected to my desktop monitor ATM), no issues. After this happens, you should check the logs (accessible via SMB in the \logs dir) to see if it managed to capture anything.

Suspend is supposed to turn off the power button light. When you resume (via the power button, or via WOL by YATSE) it comes back on.

Sounds to me like an add-on or some other process is getting hung up.

Will a hard reset of openelec work to start fresh? or a rather reinstall openelec?
Having trouble with the OpenELEC install and now I can't get past the recovery screen on the Chromebox. Someone on a different forum said that Matt Devo was the guy with the knowledge.

I followed this guide for installing OpenELEC:

http://geekfreely.blogspot.com/2014/...chromebox.html

I got all the way through installation on the HDD. I was all kinds of pumped up and excited, but when I restarted the Chromebox, it just went to the recovery screen and said there was no OS installed.

Tried some different combos of CTRL-L, CTRL-D, etc. with no luck. The Chromebox just kept coming back to the Recovery Screen.. I ended up doing a recovery (via Google's Recovery Tool) and trying the install again from Step 1.5 Set Firmware Boot Flags and never even got to the point where I could install the OS.

Now, when I restart the Chromebox I get a couple of BIOS announcements that quickly scroll through and ask me to press ESC to select the boot device, but it never actually responds when I do. Just goes to a full black screen with the <press ESC to select the boot drive> announcemen with the following:

Booting from Hard Disk
Early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND

Decompressing Linux....Parsing ELF...Performing Relocations..done
Booting the kernel

And then it just sits there with that message. If I stick the USB drive in with the Recovery Image then it posts a bunch more stuff on that page that I don't understand, just looks like more CMD Line info. I have yet to find a CTRL or CTRL-ALT or CTRL-SHFT combo that makes the Chromebox do anything.

If turn it on with a paper clip in the reset hole then I get the normal Chrome OS could not be found screen and asks me to do a recovery. In the upper LH corner is a new three lines on a background that identifies the current firmware. Hitting CTRL-I give me a bit more info of CMD line stuff that I can't decipher. I can run a recovery at this point, or it always looks like it works and the recovery completes but always boots up to this same thing.

I have even done the image download to a different USB drive for the Recovery (bypassing the Recovery Tool) but I get the exact same result every time.

I know the keyboard is being identified and works because I can scroll through the language choices on the OS recovery screen.

How in the world do I get back in to where I can reset the BIOS or just get a working recovery?
(2014-06-20, 14:39)smitbret Wrote: Having trouble with the OpenELEC install and now I can't get past the recovery screen on the Chromebox. Someone on a different forum said that Matt Devo was the guy with the knowledge.

I got all the way through installation on the HDD. I was all kinds of pumped up and excited, but when I restarted the Chromebox, it just went to the recovery screen and said there was no OS installed.

Tried some different combos of CTRL-L, CTRL-D, etc. with no luck. The Chromebox just kept coming back to the Recovery Screen.. I ended up doing a recovery (via Google's Recovery Tool) and trying the install again from Step 1.5 Set Firmware Boot Flags and never even got to the point where I could install the OS.

Now, when I restart the Chromebox I get a couple of BIOS announcements that quickly scroll through and ask me to press ESC to select the boot device, but it never actually responds when I do. Just goes to a full black screen with the <press ESC to select the boot drive> announcemen with the following:

Booting from Hard Disk
KASLR using RDRAND

Booting the kernel

And then it just sits there with that message. If I stick the USB drive in with the Recovery Image then it posts a bunch more stuff on that page that I don't understand, just looks like more CMD Line info. I have yet to find a CTRL or CTRL-ALT or CTRL-SHFT combo that makes the Chromebox do anything.

If turn it on with a paper clip in the reset hole then I get the normal Chrome OS could not be found screen and asks me to do a recovery. In the upper LH corner is a new three lines on a background that identifies the current firmware. Hitting CTRL-I give me a bit more info of CMD line stuff that I can't decipher. I can run a recovery at this point, or it always looks like it works and the recovery completes but always boots up to this same thing.

I have even done the image download to a different USB drive for the Recovery (bypassing the Recovery Tool) but I get the exact same result every time.

I know the keyboard is being identified and works because I can scroll through the language choices on the OS recovery screen.

How in the world do I get back in to where I can reset the BIOS or just get a working recovery?

I can't follow your link, so i don't know what exact instructions you were following.
Try to start from the top of the instruction in this thread. Perhaps you first have to get chromeOS back on it (via ChromiumOS).
(2014-06-20, 14:39)smitbret Wrote: Having trouble with the OpenELEC install and now I can't get past the recovery screen on the Chromebox. Someone on a different forum said that Matt Devo was the guy with the knowledge.

sorry to hear that someone else's blog summarizing a (much) older set of my instructions left you in an inoperative state. I'm sure we can get you back where you need to be.

Quote:Now, when I restart the Chromebox I get a couple of BIOS announcements that quickly scroll through and ask me to press ESC to select the boot device, but it never actually responds when I do. Just goes to a full black screen with the <press ESC to select the boot drive> announcemen with the following:

Booting from Hard Disk
KASLR using RDRAND

Booting the kernel

this means that you have legacy boot set by default, and that it's trying to boot the internal hard drive with only ChromeOS installed.

Because you ran the ChromeOS recovery, it reinstalled the stock legacy BIOS, which is completely broken and doesn't respond to keyboard input.

Quote:If turn it on with a paper clip in the reset hole then I get the normal Chrome OS could not be found screen and asks me to do a recovery. In the upper LH corner is a new three lines on a background that identifies the current firmware. Hitting CTRL-I give me a bit more info of CMD line stuff that I can't decipher. I can run a recovery at this point, or it always looks like it works and the recovery completes but always boots up to this same thing.

power off. Power on, and hit CTRL-D on the white developer boot screen (*before* the legacy BIOS boot screen) to boot ChromeOS. If you don't see the white dev boot screen, it means your display isn't syncing up in time, so just hit CTRL-D a few times before the legacy boot screen. Might take a few tries, but you'll get there.

after you are back in ChromeOS, carefully read, then follow the instructions in the OP of this thread to install OpenELEC in either a standalone or dual boot setup.
Brand new Chromebox arrived in the post this morning.

Powered it up to check it works. It installed a Chrome OS update. Followed guide here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=194362 including enabling Developer Option (it did a ChromeOS update after this) and removing the Write Protect Screw.

Followed the option for 1. (Dual Boot Chrome OS and OpenElec) and followed the instructions to the letter. Downloaded and ran the script twice. OpenElec was downloaded and installed and the Johnlewis.ie new BIOS was installed. Haven't changed boot options.

However when I select CTRL+L I am just left at "Booting from Hard Disk..." I don't get a "Press ESC" option. My SeaBIOS is del-1.7.5-6-g0fce84e-20140613-MattDevo.

CTRL+D will take me to the Chrome OS login screen.

I rebooted and tried running the script a third time. It re downloaded OpenElec and confirmed no need to reinstall BIOS.

Any hints?

*** EDIT : Not to worry. Decided I didn't really need ChromeOS - so went for the Stanalone Option and installed OpenElec standalone. So far so good. This little box should really rock. ***
*** EDIT 2 : Though sadly not quite perfect yet. I'd read there were problems with VAAPI. I have some 35Mbs Blu-ray H264 interlaced stuff that needs VAAPI to playback without skipping/dropping - and it hangs. In software mode it can't keep up with both H264 decoding and de-interlacing at this bitrate. I'm in Standalone mode. Is this likely to be helped by switching to a dual channel RAM set-up? ***
(2014-06-20, 18:05)noggin Wrote: *** EDIT : Not to worry. Decided I didn't really need ChromeOS - so went for the Stanalone Option and installed OpenElec standalone. So far so good. This little box should really rock. ***
*** EDIT 2 : Though sadly not quite perfect yet. I'd read there were problems with VAAPI. I have some 35Mbs Blu-ray H264 interlaced stuff that needs VAAPI to playback without skipping/dropping - and it hangs. In software mode it can't keep up with both H264 decoding and de-interlacing at this bitrate. I'm in Standalone mode. Is this likely to be helped by switching to a dual channel RAM set-up? ***

1) where the heck are you finding 35Mbps interlaced Bluray content?

2) so it hangs with VAAPI enabled, or disabled b/c it can't keep up? If the latter, try it with VAAPI enabled. The driver bug doesn't seem to affect all types of content; I've yet to experience it myself

3) I don't think dual-channel RAM would make a difference, but if you PM me a link to some content to test, I'm happy to do so.
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37