• 521(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2018-05-23, 22:55)NeoDuck Wrote: Hi! I've installed LibreELEC onto the internal 16GB SSD of my Asus Chromebox. I also have multiple USB drives attached. The problem that I have is that my Kodi often gets bogged down and I have to reboot about once a week. However, every time I reboot, the system forces me to press [ESC] and then specify which storage device to boot from (since I have multiple USB drives attached to the Chromebox). How do we set it to boot automatically to the internal SSD drive? Thank you!
 sounds like you're running a standalone setup with my old legacy boot firmware?  In that case, boot a Ubuntu (eg) live USB, run my firmware utility script, and update the firmware.  When prompted to choose legacy or UEFI, choose Legacy, and when prompted for USB or SSD default, choose SSD.  After updating, it will boot the SSD by default without intervention
(2018-05-22, 23:30)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2018-05-22, 21:58)sabelstrom Wrote: Hi.

Went from Kodi 16.1 to 17.6 and got a sound issue. Probably a setting, but i have tried many without a solution. On 5.1 movies i have to set the sound 200ms ahead to be in sync, 2.0 sound works fine.

I have speakers set to 5.1.

I do not use passthrough but i have it hooked up ta a home theater with 5.1 speaker (Samsung HT-C6600, Built-in Decoders: DTS decoder, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD decoder, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby TrueHD)

I have setup Kodi after https://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox 3.4Recommended Settings, but som options are not available: 
Vertical blank sync: Let driver choose
Deinterlace video: Auto
Video scaling method: Lanczos3 - Optimised

And i am not sure what Audio output device i should use, ALSA: HDA Intel, GSM LG TV on HDMI #0 or some other like ALSA: HDA Intel, HDMI #1

Any clues? Do you need more info?
 firstly, I'd reset the audio offset to zero, then enable passthru (on ALSA: HDA Intel, GSM LG TV on HDMI #0, or whatever is connected to your HT).  If you have your Chromebox connected to the TV vs connected directly to the HT, then I would fix that first.  The speaker config should match your actual config, so 5.1 is correct.

and yeah, I need to update the recommended settings.  Maybe when v18 hits beta.  Right now, the default settings for 17.6 are perfect other than enabling passthru and setting your speaker config      
Not in sync after another hour testing different settings. You said the default settings are perfect so i restored the following settings to the install default:
Settings - Player - Videos
System - Settings - Display
System - Settings - Audio

The default options in video and audio during playback i don't know, there was no reset do default option and i didn't find default settings when googeld.

Now i have only changed the settings in System - Settings - Audio but cant find a setting that sync.

Is there any setting i should change more, the recommended settings on https://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox is not the same as default, just mention it because maybe you meant that the pictures on https://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox needed a update but not the text.

BTW the hdmi-cable from the Chromebox goes the the HT and a hdmi-cable goes from the HT to the TV, and i hade no sync problem in 16.1 so i think all hardware and cables works fine.

(2018-05-25, 01:16)sabelstrom Wrote: BTW the hdmi-cable from the Chromebox goes the the HT and a hdmi-cable goes from the HT to the TV, and i hade no sync problem in 16.1 so i think all hardware and cables works fine.

your screenshot is calling you a liar, as the audio EDID reflects being connected to the TV, not the AVR/HT

I would try downloading fresh install media and booting in live mode, to ensure all defaults are used, and see if that works once you've verified the HDMI connections. If you still have the problem there, then I'd move your question to the general Linux forum (or LE forums) as A/V sync is a more general Kodi issue specific to your setup, not one specific to the Chromebox (and not one I have any experience with given mine works without sync issues)
(2018-05-24, 06:11)Matt Devo Wrote:   sounds like you're running a standalone setup with my old legacy boot firmware?  In that case, boot a Ubuntu (eg) live USB, run my firmware utility script, and update the firmware.  When prompted to choose legacy or UEFI, choose Legacy, and when prompted for USB or SSD default, choose SSD.  After updating, it will boot the SSD by default without intervention 
 Thanks!  Which one should I to update?
  • RW_LEGACY
  • BOOT-STUB
  • FULL ROM
(2018-05-26, 00:57)NeoDuck Wrote:  Thanks!  Which one should I to update?
  • RW_LEGACY
  • BOOT-STUB
  • FULL ROM

assuming you are on full ROM now, that's all it will allow. Run the script and it will tell you what firmware you are running
(2018-05-26, 01:00)Matt Devo Wrote:  assuming you are on full ROM now, that's all it will allow. Run the script and it will tell you what firmware you are running 
 Thanks!   Hi Matt, I've tried every method to make a bootable Ubuntu USB but the Chromebox won't recognize and boot to it?  I've tried several different drives (USB flash stick drives and even a HDD drive).  They work on my Alienware laptop, but won't boot from the Chromebox?  I followed this tutorial:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tu...-windows#0

Tried both Rufu and Pen installer and Etcher.  I looked near the end of this post as well:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

But I didn't see anything about how to boot a live Linux USB?
(2014-05-07, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install / Update: coreboot Firmware (standalone)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This option will allow you to replace the (entire) stock firmware with a custom build of the open-source coreboot firmware (and includes an updated SeaBIOS payload as well - it doesn't need to be / cannot be updated separately). This custom firmware fixes many issues with the stock firmware and significantly reduces the boot time; it basically turns the ChromeBox into an ordinary x86 PC. The trade-off is that it cannot run ChromeOS (You can, however, run the open-source variant ChromiumOS. Downloads are available at http://chromium.arnoldthebat.co.uk/)

You will be given the option to backup the current/stock firmware to an external USB drive; it is recommended that you do this in the event you wish to revert the ChromeBox to stock / run ChromeOS (as the recovery button won't help you anymore), and since there is always a small risk anytime you flash/update the firmware. Since the Ethernet MAC address is stored in the firmware, if you are setting up multiple Chromeboxes, you need to do a firmware backup for each, since restoring the same backup to multiple boxes will result in them having the same MAC address, and cause serious network issues.

There are 3 firmware configuration options available to the user prior to flashing:

1) install a "headless" version of the firmware -- this is only intended for Linux servers which don't have a connected display, it shouldn't be used for Kodi setups.
2) give boot priority to connected USB devices. If selected, then the ChromeBox will try to boot any connected USB by default; if not, then the default will always be the internal SSD unless you explicitly press ESC and choose a different option from the boot menu.
3) add PXE network boot support. This enables booting from a network OS image, and isn't needed for most users.

After completing this step, you can install any off-the-shelf Linux distro (GalliumOS, LibreELEC, etc), or even Windows 8.1/10, via USB -- no custom installers or workarounds are needed.

If you're going to install LibreELEC, you should go ahead and create the install media now before rebooting.

Upon reboot, if any USB/SD devices are connected, you will have ~3 seconds to press [ESC] to display the boot menu; otherwise it will boot directly to the default device (depending on your choice, internal SSD or USB).

Note: this step requires the firmware write-protect to be disabled first.

I'm stuck, could really use your help!

Thank you!
(2018-05-26, 01:47)NeoDuck Wrote:  Thanks!   Hi Matt, I've tried every method to make a bootable Ubuntu USB but the Chromebox won't recognize and boot to it?  I've tried several different drives (USB flash stick drives and even a HDD drive).  They work on my Alienware laptop, but won't boot from the Chromebox?  I followed this tutorial:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tu...-windows#0

Tried both Rufu and Pen installer and Etcher. 
use Rufus, but write in dd mode when prompted to choose between dd and ISO mode.  I'd recommend using the GalliumOS Haswell Chromebox ISO
Quote:I looked near the end of this post as well:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

But I didn't see anything about how to boot a live Linux USB?
that info is outdated / superseded by that in the wiki; I don't have a standalone firmware update script for OE/LE anymore
(2018-05-26, 18:03)Matt Devo Wrote:  use Rufus, but write in dd mode when prompted to choose between dd and ISO mode.  I'd recommend using the GalliumOS Haswell Chromebox ISO that info is outdated / superseded by that in the wiki; I don't have a standalone firmware update script for OE/LE anymore 
 Hi Matt, thanks!  I created a USB Live stick with this GalliumOS Haswell Chromebox ISO using DD mode with Rufus and the Asus Chromebox still won't boot to it?  I unplugged all USB HDD's and only used the flash stick.  The Chromebox doesn't see the USB flash drive at all and just boots to the internal SSD.  I've tried pressing [ESC] while it's booting but that didn't help?

After it boots into Kodi, Kodi is able to see the USB flash drive and mount it?

I tried this with a different USB drive and also with the Pen Universal installer, but got the same exact results.  Chromebox won't boot to the USB but Kodi has no issues mounting it and navigating its contents?

I tested both USB boot sticks in an Alienware and Macbook Pro and both boot fine in those machines, I can see the GalliumOS live/boot screen with 2 options.

I'm willing to try anything at this point to get this to work.  Please help!  Thank you!
(2018-05-26, 20:00)NeoDuck Wrote:  Hi Matt, thanks!  I created a USB Live stick with this GalliumOS Haswell Chromebox ISO using DD mode with Rufus and the Asus Chromebox still won't boot to it?  I unplugged all USB HDD's and only used the flash stick.  The Chromebox doesn't see the USB flash drive at all and just boots to the internal SSD.  I've tried pressing [ESC] while it's booting but that didn't help?

After it boots into Kodi, Kodi is able to see the USB flash drive and mount it?

I tried this with a different USB drive and also with the Pen Universal installer, but got the same exact results.  Chromebox won't boot to the USB but Kodi has no issues mounting it and navigating its contents?

I'm willing to try anything at this point to get this to work.  Please help!  Thank you!

you've tried different ports, for both the usb stick and whatever keyboard you have connected? some USB keyboards can cause issues with USB detection, so try booting without it connected and see if you get the ESC prompt then - will tell you if that's the problem
(2018-05-26, 20:03)Matt Devo Wrote: you've tried different ports, for both the usb stick and whatever keyboard you have connected? some USB keyboards can cause issues with USB detection, so try booting without it connected and see if you get the ESC prompt then - will tell you if that's the problem 
 Yes, I did try all 3 of the free ports.  No success.  

I just tried removed the USB keyboard and the Chromebox didn't show the ESC prompt?  It just booted straight into Kodi.

What should we try next?

UPDATE:

I tried some more things.  All 4 USB ports were empty, I even removed the keyboard.  I rebooted by unplugging the power cable.  Here's what I tried:
  • Formatting a USB stick in exFAT = FAIL
  • Formatting a USB stick in NTSF = FAIL
  • Formatting a portable USB Drive in exFAT = FAIL
  • Formatting a portable USB Drive in NTFS = FAIL
Tested in all 4 USB ports.
(2018-05-26, 20:15)NeoDuck Wrote:  Yes, I did try all 3 of the free ports.  No success.  

I just tried removed the USB keyboard and the Chromebox didn't show the ESC prompt?  It just booted straight into Kodi.

What should we try next?

UPDATE:

I tried some more things.  All 4 USB ports were empty, I even removed the keyboard.  I rebooted by unplugging the power cable.  Here's what I tried:
  • Formatting a USB stick in exFAT = FAIL
  • Formatting a USB stick in NTSF = FAIL
Tested in all 4 USB ports. 

if you're not getting the 'Press ESC for boot menu' prompt, it means SeaBIOS isn't detecting the USB stick, nothing to do with the way it is formatted. Try another USB stick or SD card, and don't bother/mess with the formatting -- writing the ISO in DD mode renders that irrelevant
(2018-05-26, 23:06)Matt Devo Wrote:  if you're not getting the 'Press ESC for boot menu' prompt, it means SeaBIOS isn't detecting the USB stick, nothing to do with the way it is formatted. Try another USB stick or SD card, and don't bother/mess with the formatting -- writing the ISO in DD mode renders that irrelevant 
 Thanks!  I wonder if all of my USB flash drives are too big?  The smallest one I have is 32GB.  I'm going to have to find something smaller to see if it works.
(2018-05-26, 23:06)Matt Devo Wrote:  if you're not getting the 'Press ESC for boot menu' prompt, it means SeaBIOS isn't detecting the USB stick, nothing to do with the way it is formatted. Try another USB stick or SD card, and don't bother/mess with the formatting -- writing the ISO in DD mode renders that irrelevant 
 Yay, I finally got it to work!  I just went out and bought 5 USB sticks and one of them worked!

For reference, this is the one that worked:

Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB 2.0 SDCZ60-016G
(2018-05-27, 04:11)NeoDuck Wrote: Yay, I finally got it to work!  I just went out and bought 5 USB sticks and one of them worked!

For reference, this is the one that worked:

Sandisk Cruzer Glide 16GB USB 2.0 SDCZ60-016G 

great, were you able to change the firmware boot order and get it booted from internal SSD by default?
(2018-05-27, 21:33)Matt Devo Wrote:  great, were you able to change the firmware boot order and get it booted from internal SSD by default? 
 I was able to update the firmware to 2018, mine was on 2016 firmware. 

It was quite a few settings, less than 10 though.

Here's what I remember:

I set the "mode" to Legacy.

I set it to boot to the internal SSD.

It works as I need it to now, though.  When it detects bootable devices in the USB, it waits about 3 seconds for me to press [ESC] then, it boots to the internal SSD.  Previously, it would hang if the user didn't press [ESC] and reboot after 60 seconds to try again, just to repeat the loop.  This way is much better because it doesn't need user input to boot to the internal SSD.

For anyone coming to this thread by Google, TRY DIFFERENT USB FLASH DRIVES!!!

I thought mine were just fine, they were literally brand new and Sandisk brand, not generic but they didn't work.  I even tested with USB HDD portable and desktop drives.  The problem with all of these devices was that the Chromebox would detect them IF THEY WERE NOT formatted as boot drives.  But, if they were formatted as boot drives, the Chromebox no longer saw them.  The devices that failed to boot in the Chromebox booted just fine in other machines.

None of the drives I originally tested were smaller than 32GB.  Some were USB 2.0, some were USB 3.0.

As a last ditch effort, I went out and bought a variety of USB Flash drives.  The one that worked was a 16GB USB 2.0 (specs posted above).  I don't think the size actually matters, it was just luck of the draw.  But, having the smaller ones (8GB, 16GB) won't hurt and probably help.

I wasted 1.5 days on this.  Do yourselves a favor, just have a bunch of USB Flash drives on the ready.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP, MATT!
  • 521(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37