• 552(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2021-11-27, 03:01)Lirunaway Wrote: Do you plan to update the script for LibreElec 10.1 & Kodi 19.3?  I had my Chromebox working and dual boot.  I updated LibreElec to 10.1 within Kodi.  Then found I would have to reload Kodi in order to update Kodi for a usable build.  I managed to bring up your script.  However, I had to add -k to get the script to work or so I thought.  Upon rebooting the device the device failed.  Maybe because it's loading an older LibreElec version onto a newer version LibreElec.  I tried all day and finally I got it by doing a stand alone installation.  However, the Kodi version is 18.7 again and lost dual boot.  Thinking when it's available I'll have to make a USB on a Linux laptop I'm guessing in terminal.

I just did - simply create fresh install media (using my script or the official LE media creation tool) and do a clean install of 10.0.1. Standalone is the way to go on these devices, they are far EOL for ChromeOS. If you want to dual boot ChromeOS, I'd recommend doing so from external media via the Brunch project. Requires the box have my latest coreboot+UEFI firmware flashed.
Hey Again Matt (Mr Chromebox)

We talked a while back on Reddit, I'm such a fan of yours. Thanks to your UEFI FW I've been running the CN60 for like i think 8 years .. ( debian headless ) with a Kodi X11 hdmi fronted (backend daemon server services)  .. it's such a tiny cheap kickass NUC alternative .. anyways I took your advice and got a ASUS chromebox 3 (Asus Chromebox CN65 Core i7-8550U w Intel UHD 620) .. did a upgrade, 32gb ram/2tb m.2 OS drive ..  I want to have same setup, but w bullseye .. and take advantage of i7 for transcoding for Jellyfin out / Kodi in (x or wayland). Your FW flash worked phenomenally as usual, server side it's all setup non-dual boot latest Debian 11 with Podman/Docker for services.. Im at the last mile .. X front end/gui w kodi .. using usbC>HDMI for 60fps 4k reasons.. not there yet

It's monumentally fast .. I love it.. Im just getting around to making Kodi work in X .. and it's a bit slow..  I'm experimenting w compiled Kodi, and x11docker Kodi, and Debian repo kodi (locked at matrix 19.1)

before I set that up, I still have a few HW issues to sort out, I tried my best to get the non-free realtek and intel drivers .. both from vendor and debian non-free repos ..  im down to only a few dmesg failed load errors, and I dont' see intel errors, just realtek.. 

sudo dmesg | grep failed
[    4.213980] r8169 0000:01:00.0: firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw (-2)
[    4.214035] r8169 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw failed with error -2

and the main one, is the kernal is trying to load a GOOGLE.BIN/so .. type driver on boot, that fails .. ( I assume this is Chromebox hw thing, probably can be ignored)

Do you have any advice for getting the drivers right for this box? the internet has a few guides, but not alot on this chromebox chipset .. I think I just need a tweek or two

I just wanna get this finished, polished off, then have it run perfectly for another 8 years again..  then bug you again for the best chromebox to buy!

Thanks in advance
Hi.

I bought a used Chromebox CB1-020no​ with LibreELEC 8.2.5 preinstalld.

I tried to update to LibreELEC 10.0.1 and 9.97.1 but same error.

I have used libreELEC usb creator to download the files.

I have put the file in the update folder and after restart this error comes up.

​​​​

I have used google but i cant find any answers.

So i tried to boot on Ubuntu via usb, but cant find the usb boot in the UEFI.

And i cant find information on how to delete the old LibreELEC and install a new one.
Chromebox LibreELEC Kodi 19.3 | Chromebox LibreELEC Kodi 18.6
Raspberry Pi 3 B+ RetroPie Kodi 16.1 | Ugoos X2 Cube CoreELEC  Kodi 18.6
(2022-01-01, 19:22)sabelstrom Wrote: Hi.

​​​​

And i cant find information on how to delete the old LibreELEC and install a new one.

sounds like a question best asked on the LibreELEC forums, since your issue is updating LE
(2021-12-30, 20:20)tedsheckler Wrote: Hey Again Matt (Mr Chromebox)

We talked a while back on Reddit, I'm such a fan of yours. Thanks to your UEFI FW I've been running the CN60 for like i think 8 years .. ( debian headless ) with a Kodi X11 hdmi fronted (backend daemon server services)  .. it's such a tiny cheap kickass NUC alternative .. anyways I took your advice and got a ASUS chromebox 3 (Asus Chromebox CN65 Core i7-8550U w Intel UHD 620) .. did a upgrade, 32gb ram/2tb m.2 OS drive ..  I want to have same setup, but w bullseye .. and take advantage of i7 for transcoding for Jellyfin out / Kodi in (x or wayland). Your FW flash worked phenomenally as usual, server side it's all setup non-dual boot latest Debian 11 with Podman/Docker for services.. Im at the last mile .. X front end/gui w kodi .. using usbC>HDMI for 60fps 4k reasons.. not there yet

It's monumentally fast .. I love it.. Im just getting around to making Kodi work in X .. and it's a bit slow..  I'm experimenting w compiled Kodi, and x11docker Kodi, and Debian repo kodi (locked at matrix 19.1)

before I set that up, I still have a few HW issues to sort out, I tried my best to get the non-free realtek and intel drivers .. both from vendor and debian non-free repos ..  im down to only a few dmesg failed load errors, and I dont' see intel errors, just realtek.. 

sudo dmesg | grep failed
[    4.213980] r8169 0000:01:00.0: firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw (-2)
[    4.214035] r8169 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for rtl_nic/rtl8168g-2.fw failed with error -2

and the main one, is the kernal is trying to load a GOOGLE.BIN/so .. type driver on boot, that fails .. ( I assume this is Chromebox hw thing, probably can be ignored)

Do you have any advice for getting the drivers right for this box? the internet has a few guides, but not alot on this chromebox chipset .. I think I just need a tweek or two

I just wanna get this finished, polished off, then have it run perfectly for another 8 years again..  then bug you again for the best chromebox to buy!

Thanks in advance

what isn't working / what exactly do you think you are missing drivers for? I don't recall anything needing anything special for that box
(2022-01-01, 20:36)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2022-01-01, 19:22)sabelstrom Wrote: Hi.

​​​​

sounds like a question best asked on the LibreELEC forums, since your issue is updating LE
Yes and the answer pointed med here https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/25069-...nt-common/

Solved:
​It worked with 9.0.2 -> 9.2.6 -> 10.0.1

In this version i found the Hard Reset function to reset everything, did not find any LibreELEC menu in the 8.2.5 i had.
Chromebox LibreELEC Kodi 19.3 | Chromebox LibreELEC Kodi 18.6
Raspberry Pi 3 B+ RetroPie Kodi 16.1 | Ugoos X2 Cube CoreELEC  Kodi 18.6
Thanks, it's working, it's really more at a Tuning phase.. Im testing chromebox video drivers primarily w jellyfin and transcoding (debating whether to use Intel QSV QuickSync vs VA-API) but I'm getting some clients w artifacts etc, Im debating what intel drivers I should use (im using the debian non-free right now). Kodi itself w X is still slow, but that's a bigger WIP. I figure I sort out the right drivers/config for Jellyfin first, i'll just use the same equivalents for Kodi

this is the chipset:
lspci -nn | egrep -i "3d|display|vga"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 [8086:5917] (rev 07)
00:1f.5 Non-VGA unclassified device [0000]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:9d24] (rev 21)

Im debating whether I should be using the Intel QSV as opposed to generic VA-API:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...ation.html

Getting Started 1. Install Intel Media Server Studio for Linux. Download from software.intel.com/intel-media-serverstudio. This is a prerequisite for the *_qsv codecs as it provides the foundation for encode acceleration. See the next chapter for more info on edition choices. Note: Professional edition install is required for hevc_qsv.

I have enable hardware decoding for all these (because UHD Graphics 620 seems to support it all)

H264
HEVC
MPEG2
VC1
VP8
VP9

Enable 10-Bit hardware decoding for HEVC
Enable 10-Bit hardware decoding for VP9

Enable hardware encoding
Allow encoding in HEVC format

I'm thinking w some artifacts, I should leave some of those for SW CPU decoding.. 

Also I'm debating whether I should be doing additional configs:

https://gist.github.com/Brainiarc7/aa435...dd835efe57

I know it's alot .. you probably don't waste your time with into precise tuning, Im just throwing it out there, in case you do .. something obvious Im doin wrong.  I spent soo much time setting up the OS, I don't want to shoehorn in QSV and risk breaking it.. when it's basically working right now
oops, forgot to hit reply, see above post
(2022-01-04, 00:55)tedsheckler Wrote: Thanks, it's working, it's really more at a Tuning phase.. Im testing chromebox video drivers primarily w jellyfin and transcoding (debating whether to use Intel QSV QuickSync vs VA-API) but I'm getting some clients w artifacts etc, Im debating what intel drivers I should use (im using the debian non-free right now). Kodi itself w X is still slow, but that's a bigger WIP. I figure I sort out the right drivers/config for Jellyfin first, i'll just use the same equivalents for Kodi

<snip>

I know it's alot .. you probably don't waste your time with into precise tuning, Im just throwing it out there, in case you do .. something obvious Im doin wrong.  I spent soo much time setting up the OS, I don't want to shoehorn in QSV and risk breaking it.. when it's basically working right now

I haven't used a Chromebox for Kodi for years now, since ARM platforms like the ODROID N2 provide a better OOTB experience with everything working (4Kp60, HDR, audio passthru). But when I did, I just used LibreELEC and called it a day since everything worked well there given the limitations of the Intel Linux graphics drivers
Thanks dude, those Odroid/rpi options weren't available way back when I did my Kodi X on CN60, when it was a 1080p world.. and my setup worked great for 8 years. 

as you said it's a 4kHDR60fps world now, and I got a new CN65 skylake .. and the intel drivers .. DIY .. man it's not worth the headache.  For 4k kodi, I've been using a Pi4 for now... Jellyfin works perfect (transcodes as well or better as my old i7 PC) with the intel repo non-free drivers + ffmepg .. that was the main thing I wanted in a nuc, it's a Server first, kodi second

My main issue w X Kodi on CN65, is CEC isn't working .. I don't think it's supported on the chromebox, yet the intel whitepaper on i7-8550U .. says CEC is supported now .. dunno if that's a driver thing or what.. I don't want to fall back on my Pulse 8 dongle, because that would always randomly disconnect the HDMI from the TV .. I had do disconect dongle, reboot chromebox, reattach HDMI to dongle .. just to get a picture .. again ..more pains in the ass .. why not just use a Odroid etc..

Thanks again for your advice/great work
(2022-01-09, 16:08)tedsheckler Wrote: My main issue w X Kodi on CN65, is CEC isn't working .. I don't think it's supported on the chromebox, yet the intel whitepaper on i7-8550U .. says CEC is supported now .. dunno if that's a driver thing or what.. I don't want to fall back on my Pulse 8 dongle, because that would always randomly disconnect the HDMI from the TV .. I had do disconect dongle, reboot chromebox, reattach HDMI to dongle .. just to get a picture .. again ..more pains in the ass .. why not just use a Odroid etc..

so the SoC supports CEC, and the board was supposed to as well (it's advertised as such), but Google never finished the implementation in the EC (or never pushed it as an update). I've pulled in those patches into my custom EC firmware update, and one of my digital signage customers was able to get it to work, but it required a patches on the kernel driver side:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ker...pc.c?#n460

need to drop the underscore here so the DMI match works and the driver attaches
Hi, 
Anyone know how to put an Aopen Commercial 2 into hardware write mode?
I've managed to get past all the security screws and open the box. I've unscrewed all the screws on the main board trying to find the right one. ( The Wiki says it's a screw but it must be wrong) I'm still getting the write protect warning whilst running the script.
I've also tried removing the battery as mentioned in the Wiki, which states would temporarily put it in write mode but that must also be incorrect.
*** Nevermind I've manage to get it going somehow.
Hey!
I seem to be having issues with video stuttering within the past year or so. [stutter...if pause, it speeds up to get to the pause]
It appears to be something with the file type or codec on newer video types. All of my old files play great from all sources.
I've submitted logs, cleared the box, etc. Nobody can seem to assist.
Note: If I put the file on an SD card, my laptop, old Roku TV, new FireTV, my phone, etc... all play perfect.
Any ideas?

I have the following:
Asus Chromebox-M004U
Current LibreElec build
Files pull directly from NAS, Chromebox plugged into the router.
@Matt Devo and others:

Do you know of a test clip that works with the bios chip in a Asus Chromebox 3? It's always worked with other chips in other motherboards, but this one is particularly tricky. I somehow managed to extract the Bios, by holding it still with my hand, but cannot replicate this when flashing back. I've destroyed the test clip I had (The usual black one you find on Ebay/Ali) so I thought I'd hear with you guys before I order a new one.
  • 552(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37