Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-06-28, 14:25)technophile10.1 Wrote: Hi All

I have just successfully completed the standalone installation of OpenELEC/XBMC on my new Asus Chromebox M075U. Thank you very much Matt for your script, I did everything in one go. I did not face any problem related to USB sticks, black screens, boot failures, error messages, media playback etc, etc.

However, I feel that the instructions can be made more helpful, step by step detailing what to expect and what to do - the current instructions in the wiki on preparing the device for running in developer mode and disabling the firmware write protect, plus Matt's instructions on using his script - are quite cursory and assume that the user is already familiar with a lot of things - which s/he may or may not. For example, in my case:

1. When preparing the device for running in developer mode, it asks for turning on OS verification by pressing space bar - which we are not supposed to - the instructions should mention this

that's fair, and I've added it to the wiki.

Quote:2. The OpenELEC USB Installer will actually install an OE-XBMC combo - which is good - but we should mention this.

Here I disagree. It's not like there are two autonomous things being installed here -- OpenELEC doesn't exist independently of XBMC. If someone doesn't know what OpenELEC is, well, that's why there's Google.

Quote:Plus there are a lot of other minor details that should be included to help newbies complete the process. I am willing to help re-write the entire process of installing OE/XBMC as a stand alone setup.

I'm obviously open to input, but this isn't ever going to be a completely noob-friendly process (nor do I think it should be). Some level of technical sophistication is assumed if you're going to be flashing custom firmware.

Quote:Having said this, I still need help on one very important thing: the remote. A user in this thread mentioned using the Xbox One Media Remote, so I bought the Xbox 360 Media Remote but it doesn't work. Any suggestions? Please note that I don't live in USA or Europe so it will be difficult to buy some specialized remote from the market (Xbox One has still not arrived here).

Thank you all once again.
techno

any Microsoft MCE IR receiver (not keyboard emulator), or a Flirc.

(2014-06-28, 21:11)shadysudowoodo Wrote: I used this script to try out several different distros of linux (arch bang, bodhi) because I was having bluetooth issues in ChromeOS. I had reported the bug and heard nothing in response up until then. A week later I got a message saying that they had figured out the bug and it should be fixed, so I switched back to ChromeOS. The problem I have is that my firmware backup didn't work so I had to use the online backup. I was able to get ChromeOS back and running fine and even installed crouton.

That was about a week ago. Now I just noticed that my ChromeOS is not up to date. When I go to switch from the stable channel to beta nothing happens. It always stays the same version. I even got out of dev mode, but that hasn't helped. Is it because I don't have the original factory firmware? Is there anywhere else for me to get the original stock firmware?

what "didn't work" about the firmware backup you (my script?) made? The firmware extracted from Google's recovery image doesn't contain the proper device name, unique serial number, etc. If you have a backup file of your original firmware, we can probably extract that data from it and write it back to your device. Hit me up via email or Google chat/Hangouts and I'll walk you thru it.

(2014-06-29, 00:07)kazmifar Wrote: I was having a similar issue and tried several times to download the script and install it without success.

I then did a factory reset and installed it again, but this time I did not choose the option to set up a boot option. Once the dev screen comes up, I just hit CTRL L and it worked!

you can safely use the script to set the boot options should you desire to. I put in a check to verify the legacy BIOS after setting the boot flags. That said, some people seem to have an issue on the initial install, which is resolved by doing a factory restore. I'm not sure what's causing this, and would likely need to get my hands on a box with the issue to troubleshoot it fully.

Quote:Not sure what to attribute it to, but I do notice that at times, when I exit from OE and turn it back on, I get a black screen. I then have to manually reset it again for it to work. Any suggestions as to why that's happening?

define "exit from OE" - are you talking fully powered off, or suspend? If the latter, that's known to not work with the stock firmware / in a dual boot setup.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asus ChromeBox EZ Setup (OpenELEC or Ubuntu+XMBC) [v2.11 - 2014/06/20] - by Matt Devo - 2014-06-29, 01:52
Chromebox and Qwerty Air Mouse - by rahjer - 2014-08-13, 04:51
Wake from suspend K400 - by dontknowhow - 2014-08-20, 16:05
DisplayPort - by Charles R - 2014-08-29, 21:33
HP Chromebox 4Gb - by P3ws - 2014-09-20, 08:51
BIOS update fails - by gkingsmill - 2014-10-17, 12:05
Great Expierience - by pmpartners - 2014-12-06, 16:00
3D support (auto swtich) - by zaldwaik - 2014-12-23, 07:27
High Idle CPU - by ToBeFrank - 2015-02-28, 03:29
HELP!!! - by code_19 - 2015-03-22, 04:49
R3.15 - 2015/03/19] - by nickr - 2015-03-25, 20:55
Skipping Frames - by busta.rhymes - 2015-07-29, 15:40
External disks not sleeping... - by sixburgh - 2015-10-14, 22:02