• 509(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
My ASUS Panther Chromebox keeps overheating after I installed the latest LibreElec and Kodi on it. CPU and GPU hitting 90+ degrees celsius (194F), idling at 60, 70 (140, 160 F)

Anybody have any ideas what I can do?

Changing skin doesn't seem to matter.

Worst I have seen it is on a CD1, CD2 type DVDRip .avi, although I haven't seen a pattern in terms of the video file (ie, high-end 1080p content doesn't necessarily seem to make it worse)
(2017-07-07, 09:17)calcio1 Wrote: My ASUS Panther Chromebox keeps overheating after I installed the latest LibreElec and Kodi on it. CPU and GPU hitting 90+ degrees celsius (194F), idling at 60, 70 (140, 160 F)

Worst I have seen it is on a CD1, CD2 type DVDRip .avi, although I haven't seen a pattern in terms of the video file (ie, high-end 1080p content doesn't necessarily seem to make it worse)

The .avi may well be being played back with CPU decoding in software, whereas MPEG2, H264 and VC-1 stuff is likely to be played back with GPU acceleration, which will mean the CPU runs at very low utilisation (and a lot cooler)

Does your fan kick in?
Yeah the fan kicks in big style before the box eventually crashes.

(2017-07-07, 10:16)noggin Wrote:
(2017-07-07, 09:17)calcio1 Wrote: My ASUS Panther Chromebox keeps overheating after I installed the latest LibreElec and Kodi on it. CPU and GPU hitting 90+ degrees celsius (194F), idling at 60, 70 (140, 160 F)

The .avi may well be being played back with CPU decoding in software, whereas MPEG2, H264 and VC-1 stuff is likely to be played back with GPU acceleration, which will mean the CPU runs at very low utilisation (and a lot cooler)

Does your fan kick in?
I've been happily using my Chromebox for years. Unfortunately, the latest LibreELEC fried my system and it no longer boots. I had it in single boot mode to LibreELEC. What must I do to recover this and get LibreELEC back on here?

EDIT: I'm assuming I need to factory reset back into ChromeOS? Or is there a way I can sideload some linux version to copy the older version of LibreELEC to the update folder? I can't seem to get recovery to work. Do I have to hit CTLR-D or just use the recovery button? The recovery button shows a screen of something real quick and then continues into LibreELEC and hangs.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
-Darren
You can boot any Linux distro from USB
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-16, 00:17)darebee Wrote: I've been happily using my Chromebox for years. Unfortunately, the latest LibreELEC fried my system and it no longer boots. I had it in single boot mode to LibreELEC. What must I do to recover this and get LibreELEC back on here?

EDIT: I'm assuming I need to factory reset back into ChromeOS? Or is there a way I can sideload some linux version to copy the older version of LibreELEC to the update folder? I can't seem to get recovery to work. Do I have to hit CTLR-D or just use the recovery button? The recovery button shows a screen of something real quick and then continues into LibreELEC and hangs.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
-Darren

fried your system? seems unlikely due to the thermal safeguards built into the firmware and the processor itself.

Anyways, the only reason to go back to ChromeOS is to go back to ChromeOS. There are many ways to fix a non-booting LibreELEC setup; the easiest is to boot a LibreELEC install USB created with the LE USB/SD creator tool from another PC.

sounds like your cooling fan isn't running at all, unless the problem disappears when reverting to an older version
hello,
i just updated to last uefi version and updated with 8gb and 64gb ssd.
Running windows 10 and all works prefectly (exept for fan speed!)
Thanks for your job!
(2017-06-11, 01:55)Ryangodammit Wrote:
(2017-06-04, 00:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-06-03, 22:53)Ryangodammit Wrote: I recently upgraded my libreelec to 8.0.2 and seem to have lost the ability to output analogue audio from the chromebox's heasphone port. I rolled back to an 8.0 version but it still has the same problem.
Is this a known issue?
I vaguely remember having to go through various steps all that time ago when I was originally setting up in order to make analogue work?
Anyone have any suggestions?

define "lost the ability." There's no series of steps or any such voodoo, you simply select the analog output from the audio output device list. I just tested here on 8.0.2 and works fine

When I select analogue audio I don't have any audio

So I'm still really struggling with this. The input on the stereo definitely works, the cable definitely works.
It's just the analogue audio output on the chrome box that doesn't work.
Anyone got any ideas? Or any other forums I should post in?
Check the volume levels?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-18, 01:16)merlino Wrote: hello,
Thanks for your job!

be sure to set speedfan to autorun on startup Smile

(2017-07-18, 08:54)Ryangodammit Wrote: So I'm still really struggling with this. The input on the stereo definitely works, the cable definitely works.

Have you booted another Linux distro, or even a LE install USB in Live mode, to verify that it's not simply a software config issue with your current install?
(2017-07-18, 09:18)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-07-18, 01:16)merlino Wrote: hello,
Thanks for your job!

be sure to set speedfan to autorun on startup Smile

(2017-07-18, 08:54)Ryangodammit Wrote: So I'm still really struggling with this. The input on the stereo definitely works, the cable definitely works.

Have you booted another Linux distro, or even a LE install USB in Live mode, to verify that it's not simply a software config issue with your current install?

USB install is a great idea. How do I do that without affecting my current instal?
Analogue audio worked fine until I went to 17
(2017-07-18, 09:36)Ryangodammit Wrote: USB install is a great idea. How do I do that without affecting my current instal?

just type 'live' and hit enter at the boot: prompt when booting the LE install media

Sent from my Nexus 6P
(2017-07-18, 09:39)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-07-18, 09:36)Ryangodammit Wrote: USB install is a great idea. How do I do that without affecting my current instal?

just type 'live' and hit enter at the boot: prompt when booting the LE install media

Sent from my Nexus 6P (typie typie)

What version should I get? And where from?
(2017-07-18, 12:21)Ryangodammit Wrote: What version should I get? And where from?

I'd use the latest stable (8.0.2) directly from www.libreelec. tv
  • 509(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37