• 512(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
The error is "Error: Couldn't Open/Volumes/NO NAME/LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.1.1.img.gz" (and the same error occurs with the Generic image).

This looks like a ownership or permissions error, but I discounted that and then assumed that if the installation app couldn't open the file it might be due to a corrupt download (which would not be a proper .gz file so wouldn't open.)

Anyway, as you say we are off topic now and this would be best dealt with in the libreelec forums.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'll try Matt's suggestion of making a LibreElec USB on a PC, though I don't own a PC anymore. I'll get back to you guys after I do so. Thanks for the help Matt and Nickr!
I have a few Dell 3010's that I have had running perfectly for a few years and now find myself looking for another ChromeBox for LibreElec/Kodi.

I see the Asus M004U with the 2955U (1.4 Ghz) is still available and there is the newer Asus G095U with the 3215U (1.7 Ghz). Looking at the specs/price the newer 3215U is $10 more and has the slightly better Intel GPU.

Anyone have any comments/issues/successes on the newer G095U?
(2017-09-19, 15:26)visiter555 Wrote: I have a few Dell 3010's that I have had running perfectly for a few years and now find myself looking for another ChromeBox for LibreElec/Kodi.

I see the Asus M004U with the 2955U (1.4 Ghz) is still available and there is the newer Asus G095U with the 3215U (1.7 Ghz). Looking at the specs/price the newer 3215U is $10 more and has the slightly better Intel GPU.

Anyone have any comments/issues/successes on the newer G095U?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Broadwell
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and to libreelec on chromeboxes but not to Kodi. I recently got hold of an Asus chromebox and used the E-Z script to get started and I have to admit, it was a very slick process so I'd like to thank Matt and everyone else involved for making that available.

My primary purpose for this chromebox is to replace my former setup consisting of a backend rpi2 running Raspian and TVHeadend and an Amazon FireTV box as the frontend running Kodi. The principle problem with this setup was watching HD channels over DVB-T2 in the UK. It was very juddery and nothing I could do would resolve it.

So anyway, fast forward and I now have libreelec running on the Chromebox with TVHeadend installed and the experience is transformed, the HD channels are great. However, I now have some new issues to resolve.

First is power management. While I was happy to leave the rpi2 running constantly, I'm less keen with the chromebox as I'm sure it'll be using quite a lot more power (though I'm not sure precisely how much more). So, I've been powering it off at night and back up again the next evening. However, I've noticed that the EPG is blank after boot and takes some time to come back. So, is there anything that can be done about that? Can the EPG data be cached somehow? Can the chromebox be put into a 'sleep' state on a schedule and then come back to life when someone hits the remote? I've had a poke about on the settings and while there are a couple of power management settings, its not clear to me what they actually do so if anyone could help me understand those that would be fantastic!

Secondly, remote controls. I have an MCE clone remote and ir adapter (usb) and these are working fine but the remote itself is not programmable and so won't control the volume on the TV. I do have a couple of 'All-For-One' Simple 4's (urc6440's) and I've tried using these to learn the commands from the MCE remote but for some reason, they seem to duplicate down presses on the directional pad with the result being that if I hit the down key, they send about a dozen signals to the chromebox and the cursor shoots way down the page. Curiously, this only seems to affect the down key which is very frustrating else these remotes could have met my requirement. Anyway, my question is if there is any guidance on which programmable remotes would work with my MCE ir sensor and give the best WAF. This brings me on to my third question.

When watching live TV, to get the channel list or guide, I have to hit a button that brings up the progress bar and navigate over to the channel list or guide icons. I assume there must be a key press that would bring those right up without needing the navigation that could be mapped to a key on a remote. I've not been able to find much on the wiki about that, can anyone help?

Many thanks!
(2017-09-20, 09:56)mcbrucer Wrote: Hello all, I'm new to this forum and to libreelec on chromeboxes but not to Kodi. I recently got hold of an Asus chromebox and used the E-Z script to get started and I have to admit, it was a very slick process so I'd like to thank Matt and everyone else involved for making that available.

YW Smile

Quote:First is power management. While I was happy to leave the rpi2 running constantly, I'm less keen with the chromebox as I'm sure it'll be using quite a lot more power (though I'm not sure precisely how much more). So, I've been powering it off at night and back up again the next evening. However, I've noticed that the EPG is blank after boot and takes some time to come back. So, is there anything that can be done about that? Can the EPG data be cached somehow? Can the chromebox be put into a 'sleep' state on a schedule and then come back to life when someone hits the remote? I've had a poke about on the settings and while there are a couple of power management settings, its not clear to me what they actually do so if anyone could help me understand those that would be fantastic!

You can set 'Shutdown function' to 'Standby' under Settings/System/Power Saving. Then the MCE powertoggle command will put the box in standby. I'm not sure about EPG data caching, that's a better question for the PVR subforum as it's not Chromebox specific.

Quote:Secondly, remote controls. I have an MCE clone remote and ir adapter (usb) and these are working fine but the remote itself is not programmable and so won't control the volume on the TV. I do have a couple of 'All-For-One' Simple 4's (urc6440's) and I've tried using these to learn the commands from the MCE remote but for some reason, they seem to duplicate down presses on the directional pad with the result being that if I hit the down key, they send about a dozen signals to the chromebox and the cursor shoots way down the page. Curiously, this only seems to affect the down key which is very frustrating else these remotes could have met my requirement. Anyway, my question is if there is any guidance on which programmable remotes would work with my MCE ir sensor and give the best WAF.

It's hard to beat a Harmony Hub based remote for ease of use, but might be overkill for just a Chromebox + TV. But again as this isn't Chromebox specific, might be better answered in the main hardware forum.

Quote:When watching live TV, to get the channel list or guide, I have to hit a button that brings up the progress bar and navigate over to the channel list or guide icons. I assume there must be a key press that would bring those right up without needing the navigation that could be mapped to a key on a remote. I've not been able to find much on the wiki about that, can anyone help?

the guide button should do that, but if not you can remap it using the built-in keymapper addon. This might be skin-dependent though.
Thanks again Matt! - Standby did the trick and so I'm one step closer. I think the chromebox / libreelec combination is going to be a keeper!
my Asus kodi chromebox seems to overheat and crash all the time now on low-res content

Any ideas? 

I presume it is sweating to upscale the video or something

I watch a lot of old movies for which HD rips do not exist
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I just reran the setup script hoping to upgrade to Kodi 17.4; however 17.3 was installed again?  Yes I did a factory reset before running the exsetup script.  Thanks!
(2017-10-11, 03:44)inetjnky Wrote: I just reran the setup script hoping to upgrade to Kodi 17.4; however 17.3 was installed again?  Yes I did a factory reset before running the exsetup script.  Thanks!

I've updated the script to offer LibreELEC 8.1.2 beta, which includes Kodi 17.4. No factory reset was/is necessary. Nor is re-running the script the proper way to upgrade, unless you want to blow away your existing install for some reason
Hi, 
Does anyone know if the longpress modifier can be made to work with the Fire TV remote?  I got it to work with my Fire TV, but not my chromebox cn60 M004U Celeron 2955U.

Here are the keycodes:

<key id="0xa6">  # Up button.   
<key id="0xa7">  # Down button. 
<key id="0xa9">  # Left button. 
<key id="0xa8">  # Right button. 

<key id="0x0b">  # select button. 

<key id="0xd8"> # back button.  
<key id="0x25"> # home button. 
<key id="0x2c"> # context menu button.  

<key id="0xe2">  # Rewind button.  
<key id="0xea">  # play/pause button. 
<key id="0xe3">  # FF button. 

This works:

<key id="0x2c">NextSubtitle</key>

But this longpress does not work:

<key id="0x2c" mod="longpress">ActivateWindow(SubtitleSearch)</key>

instead it presses NextSubtitle (0x2c) repeatedly.

On an actual Fire TV box, longpress works.

What confuses me even more, is that I used to have a duplicate setup (duplicate chromebox and duplicate Fire TV remote),

and based on my old saved keymap.xml file, my keycode for the context menu button used to be different.  It was 0xf200, like:

<key id="0xf200">NextSubtitle</key>

but this new Chromebox needs <key id="0x2x"> instead

I don't know if the old Chromebox would have supported longpress.

And I don't understand why the keycodes changed from one chromebox/remote to the next chromebox/remote.

That led me to try LIRC, and to try to create custom Kodi buttons with a Lircmap.xml file,  but I really don't know what I'm doing and got nowhere.  

Heres the LIRC codes:

# irw
67 0 KEY_UP devinput
6c 0 KEY_DOWN devinput
69 0 KEY_LEFT devinput
6a 0 KEY_RIGHT devinput
160 0 KEY_OK devinput
9e 0 KEY_BACK devinput
66 0 KEY_HOME devinput
171 0 KEY_TITLE devinput
a8 0 KEY_REWIND devinput
cf 0 KEY_PLAY devinput
d0 0 KEY_FASTFORWARD devinput
9e 0 KEY_BACK devinput
9e 0 KEY_BACK devinput
cf 0 KEY_PLAY devinput

I'd rather avoid LIRC if possible anyway.

Is this a libreelec issue that the OS itself doesn't understand longress as keycodes?
(2017-10-15, 01:56)bes3 Wrote: Is this a libreelec issue that the OS itself doesn't understand longress as keycodes?

there are other threads for using the FireTV remote with LibreELEC, I suspect those will be a better source of info.  There's nothing special about the Chromebox or how it handles BT remotes - it's going to be the same as NUC or any other Intel device running LE.
OK. Thanks for the reply. I'll try to find the right place to post this.
Hello

I am having issues migrating from Openelec to Libreelec on my ASUS Chromebox.
I set it up a long time ago, I believe with standalone openelec boot. There is no dual boot option.

I tried putting the 8.0.2 Generic x86 Libreelec file in the Update directory via samba, but upon reboot Openelec seems to ignore it and just boots normally.
I've looked at how to perform a fresh install but I'm quite lost now. I created a USB drive and stuck it in there and rebooted it but it seems to ignore it too.

Do I need to go back and remove the write-protect screw and reflash another Bios?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • 512(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37