• 525(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2018-09-28, 22:53)JohnDoe76 Wrote: Hi

I'm having the same problem on my ASUS Chromebox CN60 (haswell). When switching from Kodi to Chrome OS the system
will start the self repairing process every time. This also happens after booting a usb drive.

Don't understand why, because there were no changes made to the ssds partition sizes.

Tried a full system recovery and reinstalled rw_legacy firmware but had no success.

Chrome OS itself runs fine and I don't want to get rid of it. :-)

Any suggestions?
Thanks
John
 what ChromeOS version, RW_LGEACY version, and USB are you trying to boot?  Are you running LE from USB as installed by the EZ Setup script?
(2018-09-23, 16:41)TonyPh12345 Wrote: Hey, Matt and all.   Been a long while since I've been here!  But also a long while since I've had any issues. 

Not sure if this is the right thread to post the question in or if it's a LibreELEC issue, but:

I'm trying to reinstall LibreELEC 8.2.5 on my Asus Chromebox (which is set for dual boot) from USB because my system partition is too small to upgrade to LE8.90 and yada yada.

Anyway, when SeaBIOS screen comes up and I hit ESC, I get the option to pick to boot from USB (and the USB device is recognized).

When I press 2 and wait for installer to start, it simply reboots and goes back to the Developer screen then SeaBIOS boot menu again.  If I don't do anything, of course it boots into Kodi.

I'm obviously doing something wrong... Any ideas what the issue might be?

UPDATE: Figured out that since its dual boot the usb installer wasn’t working with an out of date bios, so I just redid the EZ script and reinstalled 8.2.5.

But it didn’t apparently change the system partition, so the LE GUI still couldn’t install 8.90.x for the same reason (says it needs at lease 512M).

So I reran the EZ script and it couldn’t install 8.90 either, says not enough space.

I’ve got 8G allocated to LE. Is that not enough anymore? Must I convert over to Standalone so as to get all 16 gigs?

I just reset my CN60 to factory default, installed LE (tested both 8.2.5 and 8.90.006), and have no issues booting into either following install via the script. That said, I did encounter the issue below...

(2018-09-28, 22:53)JohnDoe76 Wrote: Hi

I'm having the same problem on my ASUS Chromebox CN60 (haswell). When switching from Kodi to Chrome OS the system
will start the self repairing process every time. This also happens after booting a usb drive.

Don't understand why, because there were no changes made to the ssds partition sizes.

Tried a full system recovery and reinstalled rw_legacy firmware but had no success.

Chrome OS itself runs fine and I don't want to get rid of it. :-)

Any suggestions?
Thanks
John

It seems Google broke something related to Legacy Boot Mode in a recent update. I'm able to boot from USB without triggering a repair, but booting LE from internal storage triggers a repair every subsequent boot into ChromeOS. Use ALT+Shift+I to submit a bug report -- the more people we have reporting, the more traction it should get
(2018-10-12, 20:53)Matt Devo Wrote: I just reset my CN60 to factory default, installed LE (tested both 8.2.5 and 8.90.006), and have no issues booting into either following install via the script.

Mine’s actually an M004U if that makes any difference.

So I might have overlooked something: So I need to wipe the thing back to out-of-the-box condition and install from scratch to get the partitions resized? I haven’t done that. In its current state, I could reinstall 8.2.5 fine, but 8.90 doesn’t install due to not enough space.
(2018-10-14, 20:55)TonyPh12345 Wrote: Mine’s actually an M004U if that makes any difference.

So I might have overlooked something: So I need to wipe the thing back to out-of-the-box condition and install from scratch to get the partitions resized? I haven’t done that. In its current state, I could reinstall 8.2.5 fine, but 8.90 doesn’t install due to not enough space. 

CN60 is the model #, M004U is the region-specific config (Celeron 2955U/2GB/16GB, North America, no keyboard/mouse).

Yes, you have to do a full reset via recovery mode in order for the script to redo the partition sizes. Or, boot a Linux Live USB and manually resize /dev/sda6 to 512MB by first shrinking /dev/sda7 by the required amount, using gparted.
Hi @Matt Devo !

I have some issues running the Kodi EZ setup script, it seems to not find your repository when I'm running Ubuntu live cd.
https://paste.kodi.tv/yewocuyona

I have an old installation of OpenElec and I'm trying to upgrade to UEFI firmware and then I'm going to run LibreElec.

Many thanks for your effort Smile
@gurkburk

-l == --list-only
-L == --location

Pay more attention to the command syntax. You should use "-L"
(2018-11-09, 09:17)bbsc Wrote: @gurkburk

-l == --list-only
-L == --location

Pay more attention to the command syntax. You should use "-L"
 You are completely right, Sorry about that, it works fine now Smile
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in this thread and I just can't find it but how do I get a box to not try and boot from a connected hard drive? This wasn't an issue with the old external drive but I picked up a new much larger drive and now I have to disconnect it every time I reboot!

Thanks
(2018-11-10, 17:26)loki131 Wrote: Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in this thread and I just can't find it but how do I get a box to not try and boot from a connected hard drive? This wasn't an issue with the old external drive but I picked up a new much larger drive and now I have to disconnect it every time I reboot!

Thanks
 which firmware are you running?  With the older legacy boot/SeaBIOS firmware, you can set the default to be internal/external at the time of firmware flash.  With the UEFI Firmware, it will default to external, but as long as the drive isn't UEFI bootable, it should fall back and boot from the internal SSD after a 1-2s delay
Hi Matt.  My older but very reliable M004U box is running stand-alone LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.007 ALPHA and lately I have been experiencing hesitations when playing music of any format.  I've troubleshot the problem to my hardwired Ethernet connection.  If I switch to wireless it works OK.  I've swapped cables and bypassed switches all the way back to the master router and no improvement.

Not sure where the problem lies.  Is there a way for me to test the Ethernet connection into this box?  Any words of wisdom otherwise?

Thanks and apologies for thread crapping if it's not hardware related.
(2018-11-15, 22:10)jasn Wrote: Hi Matt.  My older but very reliable M004U box is running stand-alone LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.007 ALPHA and lately I have been experiencing hesitations when playing music of any format.  I've troubleshot the problem to my hardwired Ethernet connection.  If I switch to wireless it works OK.  I've swapped cables and bypassed switches all the way back to the master router and no improvement.

Not sure where the problem lies.  Is there a way for me to test the Ethernet connection into this box?  Any words of wisdom otherwise?

there's a bug with the 4.19 (and newer) kernels that kills SMB performance over ethernet on Haswell Chromeboxes (and others?), I've been working with the LE team on it, but seems like an upstream kernel issue.  Not sure if specific to the RT81xx chip or what. I don't have any suggestions other than to use wireless, or maybe try a USB3-ethernet adapter if wifi performance is insufficient
Thanks Matt. So far the wireless has been just fine. I'll keep an eye out for any upcoming solutions.
(2018-11-15, 23:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2018-11-15, 22:10)jasn Wrote: Hi Matt.  My older but very reliable M004U box is running stand-alone LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.007 ALPHA and lately I have been experiencing hesitations when playing music of any format.  I've troubleshot the problem to my hardwired Ethernet connection.  If I switch to wireless it works OK.  I've swapped cables and bypassed switches all the way back to the master router and no improvement.

there's a bug with the 4.19 (and newer) kernels that kills SMB performance over ethernet on Haswell Chromeboxes (and others?), I've been working with the LE team on it, but seems like an upstream kernel issue.  Not sure if specific to the RT81xx chip or what. I don't have any suggestions other than to use wireless, or maybe try a USB3-ethernet adapter if wifi performance is insufficient 
I've experienced this exact same issue.  I have since downgraded to LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.006 ALPHA and will check future builds for the fix.
LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.008 ALPHA is still exhibiting the SMB performance issue but now I am am seeing high CPU use on video playback with my Chromebox, even with hardware decoding on.  Sticking with LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.006 ALPHA at this time until the next version comes out.
(2018-12-02, 19:04)MrBuyakah Wrote: LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.008 ALPHA is still exhibiting the SMB performance issue but now I am am seeing high CPU use on video playback with my Chromebox, even with hardware decoding on.  Sticking with LibreELEC (Leia) v8.90.006 ALPHA at this time until the next version comes out.
 it's a 4.19+ kernel bug, current work around is to add 'pci=nomsi' to kernel parameters in /flash/syslinux.cfg
  • 525(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37