• 533(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hi all,

first of all: Thanks to Matt for the amazing work with the EZ script. I'm using an Asus Chromebox (Haswell) since 2 years now with the standalone custom coreboot firmware. With the change to libreelec 9 I also updated to the latest coreboot/SeaBIOS. So far the chromebox worked very good. 

Recently I switched the box to another room with no wired network connection available. Therefore I switched to wifi and unfortunately this introduced 2 issues to my setup:
1. Wifi connection is not reliable after resume from standby mode. Whenever I resume from standby the box is not able to reconnect to the wifi, in the libreelec connections menu it says 'failed'. After some time I can manually reconnect to the wifi. Normal reboot or cold start always leads to a proper and reliable network connection. I tested a lot with no success: 2,4ghz vs. 5ghz, router restart, reinstall of kodi on chromebox
2. Restarting or cold booting the chromebox now sometimes leads to the situation that the box get stuck on the Kodi startup screen

Furthermore the libreelec wifi settings menu doesn't seem stable. Sometimes I don't see the available wifis anymore, sometimes the box gets stuck and restarts kodi after a while.

Before switching to wifi everything was fine. The router is quite close to the box (1 wall inbetween), when connected the signal quality is very good.

I never read anything about unreliable wifi on those chromeboxes with libreelec. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Dash
(2019-02-07, 22:22)DashDevil Wrote: Hi all,

first of all: Thanks to Matt for the amazing work with the EZ script. I'm using an Asus Chromebox (Haswell) since 2 years now with the standalone custom coreboot firmware. With the change to libreelec 9 I also updated to the latest coreboot/SeaBIOS. So far the chromebox worked very good. 

Recently I switched the box to another room with no wired network connection available. Therefore I switched to wifi and unfortunately this introduced 2 issues to my setup:
1. Wifi connection is not reliable after resume from standby mode. Whenever I resume from standby the box is not able to reconnect to the wifi, in the libreelec connections menu it says 'failed'. After some time I can manually reconnect to the wifi. Normal reboot or cold start always leads to a proper and reliable network connection. I tested a lot with no success: 2,4ghz vs. 5ghz, router restart, reinstall of kodi on chromebox
2. Restarting or cold booting the chromebox now sometimes leads to the situation that the box get stuck on the Kodi startup screen

Furthermore the libreelec wifi settings menu doesn't seem stable. Sometimes I don't see the available wifis anymore, sometimes the box gets stuck and restarts kodi after a while.

Before switching to wifi everything was fine. The router is quite close to the box (1 wall inbetween), when connected the signal quality is very good.

I never read anything about unreliable wifi on those chromeboxes with libreelec. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Dash
 is this an occasional thing, or an every time thing? I just did a clean install of 9.0 on my Haswell Dell box (w/latest UEFI firmware), and did 5 or so suspend/resume sequences without any issue.  What I would do is wait until you're able to manually reconnect, then ssh in and look at the kernel log (dmesg) and see what's going on when resuming from suspend -- there's likely something about the wifi connection there that will provide more info
(2019-02-07, 05:09)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-02-07, 04:19)declare01 Wrote: It sure doesn't make sense to me - I had done some configurations in Kodi normally and got things setup properly.. then I found this workaround.  I edited the file and it wiped out my Kodi settings and started the wizard again on reboot (as mentioned, I tried it numerous different ways, all the same result)

Anyway, here is the Pastebin you asked for - https://pastebin.com/kRB5q22L
 looks you need to edit /flash/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg instead 
 I do not have this file... the directory listing is..

LibreELEC:/flash/EFI/BOOT # ls
bootia32.efi  bootx64.efi   grub.cfg      ldlinux.e64

I did edit grub.cfg as it seemed similar but no success
(2019-02-08, 02:53)declare01 Wrote:  I do not have this file... the directory listing is..

I just did a fresh install of LE 9.0.0 on a Haswell Chromebox here, editing /flash/syslinux.cfg with the 'pci=nomsi' parameter, and verified after rebooting via: dmesg | grep "Command line"
(2019-02-08, 01:03)Matt Devo Wrote:  is this an occasional thing, or an every time thing? I just did a clean install of 9.0 on my Haswell Dell box (w/latest UEFI firmware), and did 5 or so suspend/resume sequences without any issue.  What I would do is wait until you're able to manually reconnect, then ssh in and look at the kernel log (dmesg) and see what's going on when resuming from suspend -- there's likely something about the wifi connection there that will provide more info
Thanks for the reply. It was an every time thing. After looking into the logs I found out that it seems to be the 5ghz connection which is not working properly. Finally I saw that I never configured libreelec to only connect to my 2,4ghz network... After removing the 5ghz connection and only having the 2,4ghz connection saved, everything works fine now. Does the Asus Chromebox wifi adapter maybe have limitations regarding some 5ghz channels or something like that? I would have preferred to use 5ghz but 2,4ghz seems to be sufficent for HD streaming.
(2019-02-08, 10:00)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-02-08, 02:53)declare01 Wrote:  I do not have this file... the directory listing is..

I just did a fresh install of LE 9.0.0 on a Haswell Chromebox here, editing /flash/syslinux.cfg with the 'pci=nomsi' parameter, and verified after rebooting via: dmesg | grep "Command line" 
Thank you for providing the dmesg | grep "Command line" to validate the syslinux.cfg file.  That gave me the clue of what my issue was - it was error on my part as when I nano edited the file in PuTTY, it was adding a newline character and only saving half file.  I re-edited to make sure the command line APPEND was all on 1 line together.  That was a total rookie mistake Wink

Thanks again Matt
I just did an upgrade to LE 9, and I'm getting SMB buffering from my Synology.  According to the thread it's a 4.19.17 kernel issue and I need to add

pci=nomsi

to /flash/extlinux.conf  but /flash is read-only.  How to I edit extlinux.conf?
(2019-02-10, 22:23)YellowDog Wrote: I just did an upgrade to LE 9, and I'm getting SMB buffering from my Synology.  According to the thread it's a 4.19.17 kernel issue and I need to add

pci=nomsi

instructions are in the troubleshooting section of the wiki
NVM I need to re-mount the partition with

mount -o remount,rw /flash
(2019-02-10, 22:27)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-02-10, 22:23)YellowDog Wrote: I just did an upgrade to LE 9, and I'm getting SMB buffering from my Synology.  According to the thread it's a 4.19.17 kernel issue and I need to add

pci=nomsi

instructions are in the troubleshooting section of the wiki 
Thanks Matt for all your support over the years Smile
(2017-08-06, 21:52)Matt Devo Wrote:
Quote:3) If I go this route, what are the steps to update the BIOS? When I originally ran your script, I selected option 3 to install XBMC/KODI on the internal drive, so I don't believe I even have the ChromeOS option at boot anymore. This is my "TV appliance" so I definitely don't need anything remotely like a full Linux install.
from Ubuntu, open a terminal and run the EZ Setup Script again. Update the firmware, power down, boot up the LibreELEC install media, and off you go. Obviously you'll want to back up your Kodi userdata and create the LE install media before flashing the firmware. 
Resurrecting this ancient bit of the thread, I'm actually going to get the update done now. #ProcrastinationFTW

While I'm at it, I'm also going to upgrade to a larger SDD. I believe the steps should be:
1) from Ubuntu, open a terminal and run the EZ Setup Script again.
2) Update the firmware,
3) power down,
4) REPLACE SDD HERE
5) boot up the LibreELEC install media,
6) and off you go -- PROFIT!!

Is that the proper place to do the drive replacement?

Additionally, for "Obviously you'll want to back up your Kodi userdata" I'm planning on copying this to the same USB stick with the install media. Is the complete library stored in "userdata"? I've had a number of occasions to Export/Import the library and have never had any success with the import process - I always end up having to have it rescrape everything and lose all my "watched" flags. This was back in XBMC days, so things may have improved greatly since then.

Thanks again for all your efforts and support!
(2019-02-14, 02:24)FreeMan xbmc Wrote: Resurrecting this ancient bit of the thread, I'm actually going to get the update done now. #ProcrastinationFTW

While I'm at it, I'm also going to upgrade to a larger SDD. I believe the steps should be:
1) from Ubuntu, open a terminal and run the EZ Setup Script again.
2) Update the firmware,
3) power down,
4) REPLACE SDD HERE
5) boot up the LibreELEC install media,
6) and off you go -- PROFIT!!

Is that the proper place to do the drive replacement?
 yes

Quote:Additionally, for "Obviously you'll want to back up your Kodi userdata" I'm planning on copying this to the same USB stick with the install media. Is the complete library stored in "userdata"? I've had a number of occasions to Export/Import the library and have never had any success with the import process - I always end up having to have it rescrape everything and lose all my "watched" flags. This was back in XBMC days, so things may have improved greatly since then.

Thanks again for all your efforts and support! 

honestly I don't have any experience migrating from a non-LE setup to an LE one. I know there are addons that help with it though.
(2019-02-14, 04:19)Matt Devo Wrote: honestly I don't have any experience migrating from a non-LE setup to an LE one. I know there are addons that help with it though. 
 Any hints on those add ons? I'd love to give 'em a try.
I just upgraded to LibreElec 9 (Leia), and I can't seem to access my shares anymore. Fought for hours last night and gave up. Here is my setup:

Main HTPC is running Windows 7, serves as the media server (2x internal 4tb hard drives), mysql for syncing, and runs Kodi for our main TV.
Bedroom Chromebox running LibreElec standalone (not dual boot).

When the main HTPC and Chromebox were running the same version of Kodi 17 (I think 17.3) I had everything working fine. A few months ago I tried updating both to a newer version of 17, and ran into the same share problem.

Last night I upgraded the main HTPC to Kodi 18.1. Then I updated the Chromebox to LibreElec 9 (which I think is 18.0 ?). To do so, I had to backup, then do a fresh install due to the FAT partition being too small. When I tried restoring from the backup, it fails, says the backup is corrupt or something, so I'm having to re-setup everything. When I try to add a network location (\\192.168.1.107 which is the HTPC location) it fails/doesn't find anything. Is it due to the 18.1 and 18.0 not matching?

Or is there some problem with windows 7 and SMBv1?
(2019-02-22, 15:49)Walrus Wrote: I just upgraded to LibreElec 9 (Leia), and I can't seem to access my shares anymore. Fought for hours last night and gave up. Here is my setup:

Main HTPC is running Windows 7, serves as the media server (2x internal 4tb hard drives), mysql for syncing, and runs Kodi for our main TV.
Bedroom Chromebox running LibreElec standalone (not dual boot).

When the main HTPC and Chromebox were running the same version of Kodi 17 (I think 17.3) I had everything working fine. A few months ago I tried updating both to a newer version of 17, and ran into the same share problem.

Last night I upgraded the main HTPC to Kodi 18.1. Then I updated the Chromebox to LibreElec 9 (which I think is 18.0 ?). To do so, I had to backup, then do a fresh install due to the FAT partition being too small. When I tried restoring from the backup, it fails, says the backup is corrupt or something, so I'm having to re-setup everything. When I try to add a network location (\\192.168.1.107 which is the HTPC location) it fails/doesn't find anything. Is it due to the 18.1 and 18.0 not matching?

Or is there some problem with windows 7 and SMBv1?
kernel/driver bug in LE9.0, use workaround posted on wiki (edit /flash/syslinux.cfg)
  • 533(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37