• 540(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I went ahead and picked up an Acer Chromebox CXI locally for $40. Followed the steps outlined in the Kodi wiki Chromebox entry. I initially wanted to just wipe ChromeOS and install a familiar Linux (Void or Arch) but thought better of it and decided it would be less work to go the dual-boot route. So that's what I attempted. I'd understood from the fellow from whom I acquired this that the box had been factory reset, which seemed confirmed when I booted ChromeOS and was asked to enter credentials for, or to create anew, a google account (I did neither). But having gone through the steps to reconfigure the device as dual boot (ChromeOS and LE), I am confronted with the situation 'Help! I'm stuck on the black SeaBIOS boot screen, with the "booting from hard disk" text displayed' described under "5 Troubleshooting, Known Issues, Fixes/Workarounds" in the wiki article. I can still boot into ChromeOS by holding down the ctrl-D keys during boot.

Trying too figure out now how to proceed. Do I need to factory reset, as the wiki directives seem to indicate, then try the dual-boot installation again? In fact can I perform a factory reset, given that the drive has been partitioned (but that I can still boot into ChromeOS)? Further input will be appreciated.
(2019-05-30, 15:42)wayover13 Wrote: Trying too figure out now how to proceed. Do I need to factory reset, as the wiki directives seem to indicate, then try the dual-boot installation again? In fact can I perform a factory reset, given that the drive has been partitioned (but that I can still boot into ChromeOS)? Further input will be appreciated.

Absolutely. The previous owner likely did a simple powerwash (userdata erase) whereas the Recovery Mode / full reset re-images the entire internal storage. After resetting, just redo the dual-boot setup as before, running it 2x (first to re-partition, then to install LE).
Thanks for the further input, Matt Devo. Another thing I've noted: if I'm understanding correctly what I'm seeing at the tty, I also have the option of just enabling USB boot, thereby obviating the need to run the script, partition the drive, etc--correct? In other words, I could just run LE from USB that way, it seems. If so, what are the pro's/cons of setting up dual boot ChromeOS/LE versus just leaving ChromeOS and running LE from USB? Still deciding which course of action I'll pursue.
(2019-05-30, 18:07)wayover13 Wrote: Thanks for the further input, Matt Devo. Another thing I've noted: if I'm understanding correctly what I'm seeing at the tty, I also have the option of just enabling USB boot, thereby obviating the need to run the script, partition the drive, etc--correct? In other words, I could just run LE from USB that way, it seems. If so, what are the pro's/cons of setting up dual boot ChromeOS/LE versus just leaving ChromeOS and running LE from USB? Still deciding which course of action I'll pursue.

regardless of whether you want to run LE from the internal SSD or USB, you need to use the EZ Setup script to update the legacy BIOS, as this updates the RW_LEGACY firmware and sets the dev_boot_legacy flag to enable the use of CTRL+L. "Enabling USB boot" is something that blogs say when they don't know anything about how Chromebooks/boxes actually boot. You're using Legacy Boot Mode either way.
Ok. Just to be absolutely clear about what I'm describing, after booting to ChromeOS on this device, when I hit ctrl-alt-F3 to get to a tty, I'm presented with the Developer Console log-in screen, where I can log in as user chronos. Among other information appearing on that log-in screen, it says "If you are having trouble booting s self-signed kernel, you may need to enable USB booting. To do so, run the following as root: enable_dev_usb_boot." Though I'm not trying to run a self-signed kernel, this information gives the impression that booting from a USB device can be enabled by the means described. So, is what you're saying about enabling legacy boot still applicable here? You obviously have a far better technical grasp of the workings of these devices than I do, but to the more casual user such as myself, the information from the developer console screen seems to indicate that booting from USB can be enabled by logging in as chronos and running something like sudo enable_dev_usb_boot.
(2019-05-30, 19:27)wayover13 Wrote: Ok. Just to be absolutely clear about what I'm describing, after booting to ChromeOS on this device, when I hit ctrl-alt-F3 to get to a tty, I'm presented with the Developer Console log-in screen, where I can log in as user chronos. Among other information appearing on that log-in screen, it says "If you are having trouble booting s self-signed kernel, you may need to enable USB booting. To do so, run the following as root: enable_dev_usb_boot." Though I'm not trying to run a self-signed kernel, this information gives the impression that booting from a USB device can be enabled by the means described. So, is what you're saying about enabling legacy boot still applicable here? You obviously have a far better technical grasp of the workings of these devices than I do, but to the more casual user such as myself, the information from the developer console screen seems to indicate that booting from USB can be enabled by logging in as chronos and running something like sudo enable_dev_usb_boot.

I'm saying that information is completely irrelevant -- it applies only to booting a custom ChromeOS/ChromiumOS kernel from USB via CTRL+U.

Booting LE (or any other non-ChromeOS Linux) is done via Legacy Boot Mode. All it requires is functional RW_LEGACY firmware and the dev_boot_legacy flag (not dev_boot_usb) to be set.  The EZ Setup script handles all of this for you regardless if you select to install LE to the internal SSD or to USB.
Thanks for the explanation Matt Devo and for saving me from wasting a further bit of time trying to boot USB that way. I did the factory reset as described, then again went through the steps outlined in the wiki for installing LE alongside ChromeOS. I now have a working LE installation on this device! Doubt I'll be using ChromeOS much but, as mentioned, it was a whole lot less fidgety to use the dual-boot option than to wipe ChromeOS and install a real Linux distro. Plus, since the device is uefi, I believe I would have been unable to use my preferred boot loader (syslinux) had I done that. If one is interested in compiling his own kernel, uefi booting is great if the command-line kernel option is enabled: no boot loader needed. But I don't have time for that right now so I'll be sticking with dual-booting.
(2019-05-31, 00:25)wayover13 Wrote: it was a whole lot less fidgety to use the dual-boot option than to wipe ChromeOS and install a real Linux distro.

I don't see how, since it involves an additional reset and a two-step install, but your call Smile

Quote: Plus, since the device is uefi, I believe I would have been unable to use my preferred boot loader (syslinux) had I done that. If one is interested in compiling his own kernel, uefi booting is great if the command-line kernel option is enabled: no boot loader needed. But I don't have time for that right now so I'll be sticking with dual-booting.

Both legacy and UEFI firmware is available for Chromeboxes. Syslinux works fine under UEFI. LE does as well.
(2019-05-31, 00:25)wayover13 Wrote: it was a whole lot less fidgety to use the dual-boot option than to wipe ChromeOS and install a real Linux distro.
I don't see how, since it involves an additional reset and a two-step install, but your call Smile
Quote:Plus, since the device is uefi, I believe I would have been unable to use my preferred boot loader (syslinux) had I done that. If one is interested in compiling his own kernel, uefi booting is great if the command-line kernel option is enabled: no boot loader needed. But I don't have time for that right now so I'll be sticking with dual-booting.

Both legacy and UEFI firmware is available for Chromeboxes. Syslinux works fine under UEFI. LE does as well.
Ok. Had not tried syslinux under a uefi scenario (yeah, I'm still sorta stuck in the BIOS stone age). I'm also subscribed to the syslinux mailing list and I've definitely seen discussions there regarding problems booting uefi systems. I wasn't really paying attention to details of those discussions so perhaps I'm misinterpreting. As the case may be, another question.

Have you looked at all into the feasibility of replacing ChromeOS with a workalike such as NayuOS (https://nayuos.nexedi.com/) on these chromeboxes? Contrary to expectations, I'm finding the ChromeOS on this system somewhat useful. I intend to use the system mainly for streaming some on-line video content via the browser, which works rather well under ChromeOS because I can minimize the browser during commercials (the Kodi add-on I use for this under LE does not allow for this sort of thing). At the same time, I don't want to use ChromeOS for this since I try to minimize their tracking of my on-line activities. As I'm understanding it, NayuOS allows one to use a ChromeOS-like system without having to authenticate to google services. Anyway, just a thought.
(2019-06-01, 18:49)wayover13 Wrote: Have you looked at all into the feasibility of replacing ChromeOS with a workalike such as NayuOS (https://nayuos.nexedi.com/) on these chromeboxes? Contrary to expectations, I'm finding the ChromeOS on this system somewhat useful. I intend to use the system mainly for streaming some on-line video content via the browser, which works rather well under ChromeOS because I can minimize the browser during commercials (the Kodi add-on I use for this under LE does not allow for this sort of thing). At the same time, I don't want to use ChromeOS for this since I try to minimize their tracking of my on-line activities. As I'm understanding it, NayuOS allows one to use a ChromeOS-like system without having to authenticate to google services. Anyway, just a thought.

with my UEFI firmware, you can pretty much run whatever OS you want. The hardware in these boxes is all standard stuff, well supported. I've not tried NayuOS but no reason it shouldn't run without issue.
(2019-03-27, 19:04)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2019-03-25, 04:34)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-03-25, 03:21)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I've had this box for a few years now and have never updated its firmware (SeaBIOS ver rel-1.8.2-11-gdb21545-20150618-MattDevo)
Could this be the issue?

I mean, that firmware is 4 years old now, so I'd certainly recommend updating to the latest UEFI firmware, then doing a fresh install of LE 9.0.1. Then apply the fix from the wiki, which while mainly to fix Ethernet performance issues, could potentially help Wifi as well. The USB issue I have no idea, I've not seen or heard anyone having any similar problems, but I'd say update the firmware and then re-evaluate  
Hi Matt, 

Just to be sure I don't screw things updating my firmware, should be as simple as, correct?
1. Boot off an Ubuntu Live USB and connect to internet
2. Open a command shell
3. run this command: 
Code:
cd; curl -L -O http://mrchromebox.tech/setup-kodi.sh && sudo bash setup-kodi.sh
4. Choose: coreboot firmware install/update 

Hi Matt, 

A few months ago, I was able to update my firmware using above steps without any problems. However, I my friend's Chromebox wasn't as successful this time around. Fortunately, I took a pic of every screen during the update. At first, the firmware update failed. So I ran it again and the 2nd time was successful. However, whenever I boot the Chromebox I get the last image:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mx4c830ifq1uc...jpjGa?dl=0

Can you please help me? Don't know how to proceed from here.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
Hi Matt.  I'm still using my original Asus Chromebox with great success, but lately, after the latest LibreElec upgrade I suspect, many of my tried and true videos are running slow.  Looking at the Video Settings OSD I haven been able to mess around with the Deinterlace and Scaling methods to "correct" the speed, but it's hit and miss and not consistent between files.  Trying to get the right settings from the CB Wiki aren't working either.

Is this hardware related?  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
(2019-09-05, 04:53)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: Hi Matt, 

A few months ago, I was able to update my firmware using above steps without any problems. However, I my friend's Chromebox wasn't as successful this time around. Fortunately, I took a pic of every screen during the update. At first, the firmware update failed. So I ran it again and the 2nd time was successful. However, whenever I boot the Chromebox I get the last image:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mx4c830ifq1uc...jpjGa?dl=0

Can you please help me? Don't know how to proceed from here. 

that last screen is the EFI shell, it's what the system boots to when there is no UEFI bootable OS on internal storage or USB. You were previously running the old legacy boot firmware, and now that you're running the UEFI firmware, you need to reinstall LE (just like the warning text in the screenshot told you).

From the EFI shell, simply type exit and hit enter, then go to Boot Manager and select your LE installer USB, the reinstall.
(2019-09-07, 18:03)jasn Wrote: Hi Matt.  I'm still using my original Asus Chromebox with great success, but lately, after the latest LibreElec upgrade I suspect, many of my tried and true videos are running slow.  Looking at the Video Settings OSD I haven been able to mess around with the Deinterlace and Scaling methods to "correct" the speed, but it's hit and miss and not consistent between files.  Trying to get the right settings from the CB Wiki aren't working either.

Is this hardware related?  Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

the LE defaults for Intel-based devices like the Chromebox are sane at this point, I'd backup and reset, or boot the installer in live mode, and see if the problem persists with the default settings. If so, then provide the codec info, file location (local, NAS, etc), network type, etc and a sample clip if possible (or test something easily downloadable)
  • 540(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37