• 543(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Matt, 

Is it possible to dual boot LibreElec and Android (https://www.android-x86.org/) on Asus CN60? I have plenty of room on my 128GB drive and 8GB of Ram. 

I currently have a standalone configuration, but would like to access my Xfinity Stream subscription via the android app. As of now, I have two devices and I keep switching back and forth between them. If possible, I'd like to solely use the Chromebox.

Was wondering if you know if anyone has tried this?
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
(2019-12-13, 17:22)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I currently have a standalone configuration, but would like to access my ...

We don't care about your video piracy solutions as long as you don't mention or discuss them on this forum.
As per Kodi's forum rules (wiki), there is no place for that here.
(2019-12-13, 17:27)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 17:22)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I currently have a standalone configuration, but would like to access my ...

We don't care about your video piracy solutions as long as you don't mention or discuss them on this forum.
As per Kodi's forum rules (wiki), there is no place for that here.

Piracy? I'm confused. Xfinity Stream is a legal app provided by Comcast to access your cable subscription. You have to have a paid subscription in order to have access to its content. The app is freely available on Playstore, Apple App store, etc.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
(2019-12-13, 17:34)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: Xfinity Stream is a legal app provided by Comcast to access your cable subscription

Whoops.. I guess our forum bot and I got a bit too excited. The name itself is on our banned add-ons list, and it being Friday 13th as well, I guess I jumped the gun a bit too fast. Big Grin

Although a paid subscription in itself is in no way automatically making the real piracy streams legal.
(2019-12-13, 17:46)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 17:34)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: Xfinity Stream is a legal app provided by Comcast to access your cable subscription

Whoops.. I guess our forum bot and I got a bit too excited. The name itself is on our banned add-ons list, and it being Friday 13th as well, I guess I jumped the gun a bit too fast. Big Grin

Although a paid subscription in itself is in no way automatically making the real piracy streams legal. 
No worries, completely understandable! I literally reviewed the entire banned list and can see how it can be confused. That word is referenced there many times. 

I haven't used ChromeOS since it was released and a co-worker just informed me that you can now run android apps on ChromeOS. Wasn't aware of that! Might as well just change my configuration to dual boot LibreElec and ChromeOS. If someone can just please confirm for me that they can see this app on the ChromeOS store would be ideal. 

Thanks
(2019-12-13, 17:54)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I haven't used ChromeOS since it was released and a co-worker just informed me that you can now run android apps on ChromeOS. Wasn't aware of that! Might as well just change my configuration to dual boot LibreElec and ChromeOS. If someone can just please confirm for me that they can see this app on the ChromeOS store would be ideal. 

Thanks

older devices of the CN60/CN62 era don't support Android apps under ChromeOS unfortunately
(2019-12-13, 17:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 17:54)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: I haven't used ChromeOS since it was released and a co-worker just informed me that you can now run android apps on ChromeOS. Wasn't aware of that! Might as well just change my configuration to dual boot LibreElec and ChromeOS. If someone can just please confirm for me that they can see this app on the ChromeOS store would be ideal. 

Thanks

older devices of the CN60/CN62 era don't support Android apps under ChromeOS unfortunately 

Thanks for confirming. That is unfortunate. How about my original idea, can android be dual booted with LibreElec?
(2019-12-13, 18:14)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: Thanks for confirming. That is unfortunate. How about my original idea, can android be dual booted with LibreElec? 

sure, but you'll need to do some custom partitioning, and install rEFInd as your bootloader, then configure it for each OS. I'd probably install Android first, then shrink the data partition, create the two partitions for LE, manually install LE, and go from there
Thought I would share my story in the hopes that it helps somebody with their update.

I tried to update my 2 Chromeboxes running Seabios and an older version of LibreELEC by creating the Ubuntu Live USB thumb drive.

Making a thumb drive of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS went fine, but the Chromebox really struggled to run that version.  Also the curl command did not work and the command to apt get curl failed with some error message.

Eventually I gave up with 18.04 after no luck with Google fixes for the curl problem.  Re-writing over `8.04 I re-created a bootable usb with an older version of Ubuntu (14.04).

The 14.04 version worked much better.  No problem with curl command failure even on first try, and the chromebox ran the older version with much more ease.

ctrl-alt T opened the terminal window.  I pasted the usual:  cd; curl -LO https://mrchromebox.tech/setup-kodi.sh && sudo bash setup-kodi.sh

Option 6 of the script downloaded the UEFI and gave a failure notice after install attempt.  I ran it a second time and it succeeded with UEFI install.  Exact same failure, followed by a succeed on the second chromebox.

Option 7 of the script failed to create install thumb drive of latest LibreELEC version, but worked fine for 9.0.2 slightly older version.

With 9.0.2 successfully installed, I just changed the manual update channel on LibreELEC and it pulled down the .tar to have LibreELEC update itself to latest version.

Got it back in sync with the Sybu Kodi app on my iPhone which I prefer over the Kodi Remote app.

So success in the end, though it was a little bumpy, and chewed up a good portion of a precious Saturday tinkering with all the hiccups.

I hope it will be easier to maintain UEFI firmware updates than Legacy.

Thank you Matt for all you do to make the ChromeBox such a handy piece of home theater equipment.
(2019-12-15, 10:31)MauiSteve Wrote: Thought I would share my story in the hopes that it helps somebody with their update.

I tried to update my 2 Chromeboxes running Seabios and an older version of LibreELEC by creating the Ubuntu Live USB thumb drive.

Making a thumb drive of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS went fine, but the Chromebox really struggled to run that version.  Also the curl command did not work and the command to apt get curl failed with some error message.

Eventually I gave up with 18.04 after no luck with Google fixes for the curl problem.  Re-writing over `8.04 I re-created a bootable usb with an older version of Ubuntu (14.04).

The 14.04 version worked much better.  No problem with curl command failure even on first try, and the chromebox ran the older version with much more ease.

ctrl-alt T opened the terminal window.  I pasted the usual:  cd; curl -LO https://mrchromebox.tech/setup-kodi.sh && sudo bash setup-kodi.sh

Option 6 of the script downloaded the UEFI and gave a failure notice after install attempt.  I ran it a second time and it succeeded with UEFI install.  Exact same failure, followed by a succeed on the second chromebox.

Option 7 of the script failed to create install thumb drive of latest LibreELEC version, but worked fine for 9.0.2 slightly older version.

With 9.0.2 successfully installed, I just changed the manual update channel on LibreELEC and it pulled down the .tar to have LibreELEC update itself to latest version.

Got it back in sync with the Sybu Kodi app on my iPhone which I prefer over the Kodi Remote app.

So success in the end, though it was a little bumpy, and chewed up a good portion of a precious Saturday tinkering with all the hiccups.

I hope it will be easier to maintain UEFI firmware updates than Legacy.

Thank you Matt for all you do to make the ChromeBox such a handy piece of home theater equipment.

on newer versions of Ubuntu, curl isn't installed by default. `sudo apt-get install curl` fixes that.

the script was out of date w/r/t the latest LibreELEC version; I've updated it to 9.2.0.

not sure why you had a failure with the firmware update, but impossible to diagnose without the error msg it would show after a failure
Hi, can u advise me? I use Acer Chromebox CXI3-I716GKM and wanna connect 2 monitors, I bought 2-port splitter and it doesn't work. When I connect 2 monitors, only one of them works, everything is okay with the cable.
2nd monitor just writes plug in the monitor, no errors
How to solve this problem, someone knows?
or better make new tread?
(2020-01-03, 14:44)Leo222 Wrote: Hi, can u advise me? I use Acer Chromebox CXI3-I716GKM and wanna connect 2 monitors, I bought 2-port splitter and it doesn't work. When I connect 2 monitors, only one of them works, everything is okay with the cable.
2nd monitor just writes plug in the monitor, no errors
How to solve this problem, someone knows?

doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the Chromebox or Kodi. But the box has 2 separate outputs, I would just use both of those.
when do I so, it doesn't works. It works only when I changing ports
Matt, can anything be done in the Chromebox (Haswell) firmware to identify USB flash drives any better?  I understand that not all sticks are compatible.  I have an external SSD (Samsung 250GB Evo) in a Sabrent enclosure and it's hit and miss that it gets mounted on boot.  Even swapping the ports while a distro is up doesn't allow it to mount.  I have to resort to turning off and on the box.
  • 543(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37