Req Native Chromecast support for Android.
I'm sure this has been asked before but I thought I'd make a thread about it in this section if it hasn't really been discussed since the Chromecast SDK has been made public for a while now. What I'm wanting is the ability to send videos directly from XBMC (either local content or from an add-on such as say roosterteeth) on my Nexus 7 to my Chromecast without a third party app involved. I understand the Chromecast doesn't understand every video format and sometimes a transcoder server may be required to be installed on a local computer or possibly an actual XBMC Chromecast app that has the required codecs for the player to view various media formats.Anyways what are you guy's thoughts on this idea?
Try to convince us :-)

It will be hard considering that for about the same price as a lousy chromecast, you can have an rpi running the full xbmc, decoding about eveything, that can render remotely from about any device in upnp or airplay :-)
(2014-05-15, 08:29)Koying Wrote: Try to convince us :-)

It will be hard considering that for about the same price as a lousy chromecast, you can have an rpi running the full xbmc, decoding about eveything, that can render remotely from about any device in upnp or airplay :-)

Maybe if you consider that the Chomecast is easier to worldwide users buy... Rpi is great, i'll be definitely getting one (or two) but that'll be true only after my next international USA/Europe trip (two or three years from now).

On the other side Chromecasts are officially here (latin america).
I think that it's a feature a lot of people would use. Being able to send videos from other apps to my Chromecast has been my main way to watch media on my TV being able to do it easily with xmbc would be when better. I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the forums for this then there has been.
Well, if you have an Xbmc "server" within your lan with upnp enabled, you can already stream from xbmc to chromecast via the "BubbleUpnp" app.
Yes but bubble upnp is very go finicky and only works like half the time it seems. Actually having native Chromecast support with a custom Chromecast app player should show for just formats to be supported. I would imagine there is even a way to add Chromecast support to the desktop version for those that want it. Having all these extra third party go between apps in inefficient and doesn't work as well as a natively supported feature could.
XBMC DLNA/upnp doesnt work for me at all (as my video server is behind a repeater and I was not sure how to activate the multicast between devices - it only works if my video server is physically or direcly connected to my main router and also the client).

BubbleUpnp is not a "XBMC level of quality" solution (far from that actually), IMO. I love XBMC (using it everyday since 2003, on Xbox) and i'll be using it, donating, posting in here and sharing with my friends how great it is, probably forever. But nowadays, for the lack of this kind of thing, it's looking that XBMC is a little outdated (IMO, again). Rpi is great, but is for us, the geek/nerd kind of human - and it's not a real cheap solution worldwide. Chromecast kind of solve both problems.

I'm sorry if I do offend someone with my comment, not my goal at all.
The coming Android TV will encompass the functionality of Chromecast. IMO, the Chromecast dongle is already a dead-end.
But hey, time will tell...
(2014-05-22, 09:34)Koying Wrote: Well, if you have an Xbmc "server" within your lan with upnp enabled, you can already stream from xbmc to chromecast via the "BubbleUpnp" app.

Well that will require a dedicated laptop/server/desktop........what people want is ability to cast to chromecast from xbmc using a mobile phone without using third party apps Big Grin !
You can also have both xbmc and bubbleupnp on the same phone Wink
Xbmc is the "media server", in the background, while bubbleupnp is the "controller" application, and chromecast the "media renderer".

You basically always have those 3 components. What you'd want is for xbmc to also be the controller, but it's much work for little results, especially considering that the xbmc interface is thought for large TV, not small screen phones...
The SDK is afaik more about being a sender and less about being a receiver. However looking at the specifications it seems like its mostly DIAL and webbrowser.

So to get it in we just need someone to make a browser available in xbmc... Any takers?

Interesting project is leapcast, could be a viable addon when someone ports chromium to xbmc, on all platforms.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
You can't be a receiver, that's what chromecast is all about and is only that.
Actually, if correct, chromecast is just... chrome, in a dongle.

Now, it only supports the formats chrome supports, i.e. the HTML5 Video, i.e. MP4/H264 (not even mkv, apparently) and WebM/VP8.
Not exactly motivating Wink
indeed, so without us having a browser its a futile attempt at best Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Mmm... No, it's unrelated.
Being a chromecast "emitter" is just a matter of using the right API.

But the SDK is Android only, and, IIRC, your device must be Google-enabled.
Hi Forums,
hi Link_of_Hyrule.

I'm new to XBMC as I was a longtime user of MCE with MediaBrowser.
As there is no development on MCE since many months I came to XBMC with MediaBrowser3 as a backend and that also fulfills the chromecast request which is mandatory for me.

From my actual point of view, the combination of XBMC and MediaBrowser Server is the best combination you can have. Accessing and editing you meta data was never been more comfortable.
My mother and father is connected to my media library via internet by just using a chromecast dongle and the mediabrowser app on a tablet, which both of them are able to use in their higher age.

Maybe its worth a look for you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Native Chromecast support for Android.0