Req Dynamic Range Compression Audio
Anyone know if I can use the Volume Amplification (AKA DRC) and/or central channel boost AND still use passthrough? So Kodi does clever stuff to the sound, but puts it back into the original format? I have a Kodi/Pi that feeds an old DVD Home Theartre that only has Optical Input - and Direct passthrough is the only way to get 5.1.

Cheers
I don't know about the channel boost, but the <applydrc> tag in advancedsettings.xml should let you keep the passthrough alive. Not too sure how well it will work I I just use the tag to turn it off.

Good luck.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Cheers, but is says " This has no effect if passthrough is enabled for AC3." which is what I have.
What it says is right. If you want centre channel boost then boost it in your avr.
Sorry. I should have added let Kodi decode the AC3 stream and use the Enable Dolby Digital transcoding option (http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings).
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
Wink 
(2016-01-09, 01:57)Soli Wrote: What it says is right. If you want centre channel boost then boost it in your avr.

Big Grin If only. Alas, my ageing DVD Theatre system has no such setting Edit: gosh, Who knew, hidden away in the menus there was an option to boost channels on me old Sony - the manual seemed to indicate that this only worked for DVD mode, but it seems to work for "Video 2" - the Optical In .

I'll see if I have a chance to play over the next few days.
As described in this thread, the possibility of having a highly effective, freely adjustable DRC within KODI is great and unique regarding end user home cinema devices.

I came across many of todays (also expensive) AVR and so far no AVR could offer such great DRC possibilities. Most AVR have settings like "low, mid, max" which get you some mediocre results. Sometimes even limited to only Dolby, not DTS etc.) Some AVRs DRC functions are tied to VolumeControl itself. None of them ever delivered such good and stable results as KODI. (Testing with typical voice-to-explosion benchmark snippets)
Keeping in mind that marketing suggests highest possible Dynamic Range = GREAT (which is somehow true for not-home cinema but not for home environments). Keeping consumers interested in the latest AVR and audio formats, one can guess why they don't put too much effort in offering well developed (although optional) DRC-possibilites.

In my experience, using the AVRs integrated DRC doesn't keep people from coming back and asking again:
"Hey, i tried your hint regarding this DRC setting in my AVR, it helps a little little bit, but it's still bad. Any idea?"

Using KODI with DRC of about 10dB (or more - see thread) is just great. No one ever asked again after setting it up like this. (and yes, explosions are still clearly louder than voices. Thats the beauty: The amount of DRC can be adjusted so you feel it's just right for your listening habits and possibilities (neighbours)) Smile Using a global KODI-DRC-amount of about 10dB (this is what i use) up to ~ 18dB (for people who really need maximum DRC) seems to make sense.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
The only issue I have had with that method - and I did look into it, is that when pass Through is enabled the settings for Volume Amplification get Disabled. So, are we saying here that making these changes in the setting files will get honoured even when Pass Through is on?
Two possible ways:

a) Disable Passthrough and output uncompressed 5.1/7.1 Multichannel LPCM audio via HDMI. (Should work great for everyone with a HDMI-capable AVR)

b) Setup like in this thread and transcode all MultiChannel Audio formats to high quality 640kbit 5.1 Dolby Digital. (This is what i use). In this case KODI-DRC is possible for everything, except if the audio source is already simple AC3.

Of course if you decide that you want to go that way, one has to wrap the head around that your AVR will receive lossless LPCM (solution a) or transcoded high quality 5.1 Dolby Digital (640 kbit) (solution b) and not TrueHD/etc.

In my honest opinion - there is absolutely no audible quality loss when avoiding passing undecoded HD-audio-formats - even when with solution b). Solution a) is lossless anyway since it's uncompressed LPCM.

...not having to worry about insane volume differences and turning the AVR volume up and down all the time is such a great benefit.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
From that thread

Quote:Only if the source audio is DD AC3, it doesn't work, because this audio gets passed through untouched and therefore no Volume Amplification (DRC) is applied.

Most, if not all of my collection is in AC3 - looks like that may have been a mistake.
...does you AVR support HDMI? If so, you may use solution a).
Nope, just a single Optiocal, which gets fed from an HDMI splitter.
(2014-06-07, 13:28)FernetMenta Wrote: we already have dynamic range compression aka volume amplification: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_playback

hello fernetmenta I had a question on this I know its a old post but since xbmc and xbmc for xbox split up we got stuck with this nasty clipping using this, we have this feature on xbmc4xbox but a lot of clipping and distortion.

what is needed to fix this or make it work like kodi?
(2016-07-04, 02:56)notthesame Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 13:28)FernetMenta Wrote: we already have dynamic range compression aka volume amplification: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_playback

hello fernetmenta I had a question on this I know its a old post but since xbmc and xbmc for xbox split up we got stuck with this nasty clipping using this, we have this feature on xbmc4xbox but a lot of clipping and distortion.

what is needed to fix this or make it work like kodi?

Please use http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk for support on xbmc4xbox.
Dynamic range compression can be done with DSP plugins (VST, AU). There are quite few free compressors, e.g. LoudMax.

Of course on OS X you can use AU plugins with AU Lab (system wide) or with Audio Hijack (on the application level), but it definitely would be nice to be able to load it within Kodi.

There’s a project related to loading DSP plugins, but I haven’t try that yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dynamic Range Compression Audio2