Gotham memory leak on video playback
Oki, concerning the other report with paplayer + culyrics is not really a memleak - that lyrics scripts "caches". You can see that in Debug Log, when you listen to a track again.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
it should not be useing over1gb of memory for a few text based lyrics though should it? Also, it doesn't behave this way on 12.3 it works fine?

I can confirm that I have critical issues with both lyrics and subtitles (when enabled) that essentially stop me from using them at all, as unfortunately they bring xbmc to a grinding halt Sad

Enable lyrics = 1gb+ memory and xbmc freezes and needs tasking down
Enable subs = 1gb+ memory and xbmc freezes and needs tasking down

They may not he related, but they are similar Wink

It seems like 13 has a few bugs, live strm files that work fine in frodo don't work in gotham (see e3 2014 fhread) subtitles causing memory leak, lyrics crashing xbmc, amd gpus having issues and a few other things.

Hopefully most of these regressions will be resolved in a future bug fix release.
I confirm many issue in 13.1 Sad
I reboot many times my xbmcbuntu since upgrade to 13.1
Sometimes fps go down to 15 or 16 fps in some movie, it s a very strange bug never happened in 12.3 or 13.0
Must relaunch xbmc to play movie without problem
Agreed Sad

Not to derail, but another issue I noticed was when play movie in background is enabled (movie plays behind skin/GUI while you navigate around xbmc) movie fps drop below 12? This does not happen in 12.3 and also means I now have to disable this feature from all instances.

Bug fixes will come I am sure Big Grin
(2014-06-09, 23:06)DerekCuster Wrote: Agreed Sad

Not to derail, but another issue I noticed was when play movie in background is enabled (movie plays behind skin/GUI while you navigate around xbmc) movie fps drop below 12? This does not happen in 12.3 and also means I now have to disable this feature from all instances.

Not unless some one does a proper reporting for it. Mentioning things in some random thread doesn't help. Also no one reported it during betas and rc releases.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
In my case, the ASS format is confirmed to be leaking. SRT should be the same, but I didn't explicitly check for it.

Back to the subtitle memory leak issue. Do you need further info from us users? Or some debugging under your instructions? I assume this is quite reproducible even though some factors will need to be ruled out (e.g. OS, subtitle language etc)
In my case, the language is Chinese.
This could be related to the various subtitle-related crashes that have been happening for the ATV2 (iOS), which only has 256 MB of RAM (that it shares with the funky ATV iOS). hmmm
(2014-06-09, 23:10)Martijn Wrote:
(2014-06-09, 23:06)DerekCuster Wrote: Agreed Sad

Not unless some one does a proper reporting for it. Mentioning things in some random thread doesn't help. Also no one reported it during betas and rc releases.

If we didn't get looked upon as "moaners" more people likely would report back certain issues, the fact 13 has known regressions speaks volumes(as does the beta feedback thread being only a few posts in length.

There' have been many good bug-testers who have upped and left the forums due to being seen as complainers and treated as so. In another thread very recently, you yourself told a users to shut up and move on (even though he went onto develop a fix for the issue himself) as you stated it wouldn't be fixed bye team?

I my self have stopped contributing for similar reason as have few others, I feel xbmc could do with a reshuffle and hiring a good PR/Customer relations guy would be an idea? This angry dev talking trash to users all the time is tired and dated. Software is good, but without testers and users, it's useless Wink

Edit:
This is my view and opinion of course Big Grin
because 99% of the cases of the reports are

"it doesn't work. fix it"
no info, no how to repo and so on. they are simply being ungrateful and bluntly rude.
That will certainly piss of developers. That was the case i said "live with it".
Only complaining about this and that. 12.3 worked and 13.0 doesn't, why did you break it and fix it now.

Devs not being friendly is in most cases caused by user not being friendly. So you get what you give.

In that case there was a fix however it was not included because it was not the proper way to fix it. You can't include something that fixes one system but breaks another.
That some one creates a build with a fix that was not approved, so be it. A better fix is in the works but needs time.
There are millions of XBCM users out there and regressions can happen. So a released will not be postponed if it breaks for a very very few people.

once in a while there are of course users who do proper effort of providing as much info as needed. Those are the ones who are very much appreciated.

So create a new thread about the background playback issue proving sufficient information so devs can get a look at what happens.
Guys, can we stop useless argument but focusing on the tech issue? I'm willing to continue investigate under instructions or provide further info for reproduction.
So do you need me doing other experiments?
Is current info enough for you to reproduce the issue locally?
(2014-06-10, 13:31)firemeteor Wrote: Guys, can we stop useless argument but focusing on the tech issue? I'm willing to continue investigate under instructions or provide further info for reproduction.
So do you need me doing other experiments?
Is current info enough for you to reproduce the issue locally?

i couldn't reproduce (did find another leak) however others could.
i think that it's now up to the developers to figure this out.
mem leaking is not something that is easy to be tracked and you need to have it running in debugging environment for possible tracking down.
In this thread we are talking about memory leaking in XBMC or an add-on.
Please keep the thread on-topic and post any other regressions in seperate threads.

Back on topic:
This is the status as far as I have heard from other devs that did some testing.

- CU LRC LYRICS
So far we have ascertained that there is a memory increase when using CU LRC Lyrics, but that turns out to be caching only. - When music playback is totally stopped the memory is freed.
If this memory caching crashes that machine, that would be cause to investigate further and obviously needs to be fixed, either in the add-on or in XBMC.
This has yet to be shown.

- ASS subtitles
There seems to be a genuine leak when using ASS subtitles, where the memory is not freed when playback is stopped. We could use some more measurements of this on a clean XBMC installation without additional add-ons installed. How fast does mem leak, etc. Does it happen when playing back local files or only from the internet? Does it happen only on iOS, only on Windows, Linux or everywhere ? Data data data.

- XBMC itself
I am fairly certain core xbmc with default add-ons does not leak memory. After more than 2 days of uptime and moderate to heavy usage (2 movies, 6 episodes watched with SRT subtitles) my system hasn't seemingly leaked any memory. 2 GB of memory available with XBMC using 600 MB of that. I only ever see the memory fluctuate between 600 and 800 MB on my system and have never experienced an out-of-memory crash.
This system is never turned off, XBMC regularly runs several days (before I upgrade it to a new nightly)
I'll personally be able to run xbmc within valgrind on linux to do some proper testing later today.
@firemeteor, mind changing GUI language to english? It's most unlikely that this will change something but I'd like to foreclose GUI and/or font changes to be the culprit here.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for your investigation, Devs!
Some other info that may or may not be useful.
1. I got vague impression that SRT subtitles would also leak, but I might be wrong since I use whatever format I can get from network and the experience may be mixed. Will do further experiment to rule out the case.
2. In my setup the video && subtitle are served through NFS share (a home server). Never tried local playback.
3. In my recent experiment, playing Sherlock S3E1 (about 90 mins) with ASS subtitle will drain the free memory from about 600M to 150M before the video is about to finish. Fully stop playing back does not bring back any free memory. (Of course the issue is not specific to this video, I also watched several MythBuster episodes and they all suffers)
4. Playing same episode without subtitle for full 90 mins requires no more than 40MB during playback. Fully stop playing back brings the free memory back to original level.
5. The subtitle is in Chinese language, not sure if character set matters.

(2014-06-10, 13:47)Kib Wrote: - ASS subtitles
There seems to be a genuine leak when using ASS subtitles, where the memory is not freed when playback is stopped. We could use some more measurements of this on a clean XBMC installation without additional add-ons installed. How fast does mem leak, etc. Does it happen when playing back local files or only from the internet? Does it happen only on iOS, only on Windows, Linux or everywhere ? Data data data.

- XBMC itself
I am fairly certain core xbmc with default add-ons does not leak memory. After more than 2 days of uptime and moderate to heavy usage (2 movies, 6 episodes watched with SRT subtitles) my system hasn't seemingly leaked any memory. 2 GB of memory available with XBMC using 600 MB of that. I only ever see the memory fluctuate between 600 and 800 MB on my system and have never experienced an out-of-memory crash.
This system is never turned off, XBMC regularly runs several days (before I upgrade it to a new nightly)

(2014-06-10, 14:26)vdrfan Wrote: @firemeteor, mind changing GUI language to english? It's most unlikely that this will change something but I'd like to foreclose GUI and/or font changes to be the culprit here.
Sure, will try this out too

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham memory leak on video playback2