• 36(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
If you wouldn't mind it would be great if you could go ahead and submit the PR. Then I can get a better idea of what we're dealing with and we can discuss it there.
@ruuk ok, I'll do that within the next days. I'll open a generic PR to make the add-on work with Kodi 17 and add commits as soon as I fix things up, so that you can eventually review my work as I progress towards the final goal. If we end up having too many commits for the final merge I'll squash them before doing that.
@falcon03: I pushed some local changes I forgot to push a few months ago to a new develop branch. Please PR against that. Thanks!
(2017-05-07, 17:01)ruuk Wrote: @falcon03: I pushed some local changes I forgot to push a few months ago to a new develop branch. Please PR against that. Thanks!
Hi there Ruuk great addon works lovely on my PC, cant seem to get it to work on my android box tho, im on Jarvis 16.1 on android 6.0, any advice, cheers in advance.
(2017-07-04, 18:11)kirkydman Wrote:
(2017-05-07, 17:01)ruuk Wrote: @falcon03: I pushed some local changes I forgot to push a few months ago to a new develop branch. Please PR against that. Thanks!
Hi there Ruuk great addon works lovely on my PC, cant seem to get it to work on my android box tho, im on Jarvis 16.1 on android 6.0, any advice, cheers in advance.***[ahh ive just read somewhere its not ready for Android yet, cheers anyway]
(2017-07-04, 18:11)kirkydman Wrote:
Hi there Ruuk great addon works lovely on my PC, cant seem to get it to work on my android box tho, im on Jarvis 16.1 on android 6.0, any advice, cheers in advance.

Android doesn't have text to speech that can be accessed by the add-on, so it doesn't directly work there. The only option is to set up a speech server on a PC and use that as the speech engine for the Android device.
Hello,I Apologize, I know that it's been while since I have been on. I just have a question regarding speech on android, and please read this question knowing how little I really know about android and kodi, much less the 2 together. Is it possible to pass the output via android terminal? If so would it possible to do something like in this link?

https://android.stackexchange.com/questi...om-console

Also, I know Espeak is supported on Linux base, apparently there is an Espeak for android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...peak&hl=en

Just wonderin. Wink
Hey, @Traker1001, always good to see you around.

The eSpeak port doesn't help us. It has the same issue as the built in speech. We can't use them because we have no way to access either from the add-on. We'd need to expose some stuff in Kodi for that to work, and maybe that can be done in the future.

The python thing looks promising though. If I can't use it directly, I think I could still write a simple server that runs in sl4a that the add-on can send text through.
Information 
Added a new version to the Kodi official repo: 1.0.7.

Changes:
  • Add some fixes for the video info dialog
  • Add handlers for some new windows
  • Add verbose logging option
  • Remove defunct Google and speechutil.com backends
  • Issue #11: Fix voice selection on festival backend and allow for quotes in text
  • Issue #13: Revert OSXSay backend to old method to fix crashing on OSX
Hello everyone,

I'm replying to this particular thread, because I can't find where on the page, to start a new one.

On my Windows 10 laptop, running Kodi 16 .1, all of a sudden the screen reader is not speaking for me. I've reinstalled it several times, but have had no luck. Does anyone have any ideas of what could possibly be wrong, and what I can try to fix?

Also does the screen reader not work with Kodi 17 3? I wasn't able to get it going with that either.

Finally, I know for Kodi and the screen reader to be used with Android, a speech server needs to be set up on the PC. Now, I know nothing at all about how this would be done, is this something that is relatively straight forward to do? And how would one begin about doing this?

Again, sorry for the hijack of the thread, I'm just not sure where .

To start a new thread.

Thanks for any and all input, Shane.
Hello shanec.

To create a new Thread...

1. Navigate to the forum that is most suitable for your question
2. Top right of the page is a blue button titled Post Thread.
3. Click the button, and it will take you to the page to create a new thread for your own questions.

I will leave your post here for now as it seems on topic. If it starts becoming off topic I will split it to your own thread.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hi everyone,

I'm long behind on Kodi updates and when I Google the Kodi screen reader, I get the alpha info page.

Is there, by any chance, an installer for macOS yet? If not, where do I get Kodi along with the screen reader? Keep in mind I don't have sighted assistance to install using the addon manager. I could get it, but I'd prefer an installer if possible, similar to Windows.
Thanks.
Hi,
I just updated my kodi from version 16 to 17.4, and the screen reader always chrashes with Windows 10 Creators update. I read on the other topics that if version 16 is installed and after that the screen reader is configured, everything should work fine after the update on version 17. However here this is not the case, so I'm looking for more detailed instructions what can I do to fix it?
Thanks
Hello,

I'm behind on this thread. Any news or updates on how to get the screen reader to work with version seventeen of KODI on Mac OS?

Thanks.
Can you roll back to 17.3? MIght be on oldversion, or maybe here, not sure if they keep old versions around. I've also noticed another issue though. Even though I have kodi screenreader set to read the extra text, such as descriptions of addons, it no longer does that. TO see this, search for an addon, such as backup, (which all of you should add to your setups), and see if it reads the text. All mine says now is script backup. But I'm pretty sure that it also says on screen something along the lines of ever hosed your XBMC backup? Some one with working eyeballs, am I wrong? Smile
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10