• 38(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
(2017-11-18, 21:37)ugi93 Wrote: Hi! As I found out, the best way to enable the addon is to do it with sighted assistance. Ruuk if I'm not right, feel free to correct me.
 The windows installer should work without it, but obviously it didn't for you (which may be because of what chrisstefanovski mentioned). If you are installing on another platform then sighted assistance is probably necessary.
Hey ruuk.
I successfully managed to do it by following post 512, so I installed kodi 16, then installed screen reader, and then I installed kodi 17 over it, screen reader now works.
But I have few questions. Which keymap should I use? I installed both default and custom keymap, and can't see any real difference. Then, as I had kodi 16, screen reader saw nvda, but now it always speaks through sapi, and in engines list, I see sapi, auto, log and some http thing. Then, it won't read the list of sapi voices when I press enter on subsetting voice, I move with left and right arrows, but it only makes the sound, doesn't read it.
My last question is, how should I navigate the menus? The layout seems kind of weird, sometimes it seems that things are either out of order, or I still have to learn the menu layout, that I'm not sure. Is there any kind of guideline for menu navigation, how's the layout?
Here's what I see when I go to settings/add-ons/manage dependencies. Nvda controller client dependency is shown as orphaned. What it means, and what should I do about it?
I found the same dll, so nvda controller client, for some other apps which have nvda support in. Could I put this dll somewhere to solve the issue, in the folder of kody screen reader, and if so, where should I put it? Jaws works when I select it, just nvda doesn't, because of the orphaned dependency.
(2017-11-19, 23:11)chrisstefanovski Wrote: Hey ruuk.
I successfully managed to do it by following post 512, so I installed kodi 16, then installed screen reader, and then I installed kodi 17 over it, screen reader now works.
But I have few questions. Which keymap should I use? I installed both default and custom keymap, and can't see any real difference. Then, as I had kodi 16, screen reader saw nvda, but now it always speaks through sapi, and in engines list, I see sapi, auto, log and some http thing. Then, it won't read the list of sapi voices when I press enter on subsetting voice, I move with left and right arrows, but it only makes the sound, doesn't read it.
My last question is, how should I navigate the menus? The layout seems kind of weird, sometimes it seems that things are either out of order, or I still have to learn the menu layout, that I'm not sure. Is there any kind of guideline for menu navigation, how's the layout?
Kodi by default is definitely not laid out optimally for blind users. Since Kodi is skinnable, a skin could be made with a layout that doesn't rely heavily on visual cues, but making a skin is a fairly large task so that's why we don't have that yet. Skins other than Estuary (the default skin) might have a more intuitive layout for you as there's a variety of styles and layouts, but I'm not sure which ones would work best. Maybe some other users have tested some out and can comment.

Generally speaking, most Home windows have the major categories (such as Videos, Music,Pictures, etc.) in a list which you can click on and drill down to the actual playable items. If you are on one of these major categories and navigate off the axis of the list, depending on the skin, you will get things contextually related. Estuary's main list is vertical and has at it's top 3 horizontal options - Power, Settings and Search. If (for example) you are on Movies and move off to the right, intially you will have some buttons that direct you to add paths to use for your library. If you've done this you will then instead have a vertical list of horizontal rows. The top row has "Categories", the next down has "Recently added movies", the next "Unwatched movies" and so forth.

When off the home menu browsing through your library, generally you have a list (or grid) of items and off the axis of the list you will have menus of options, generally including a ViewType option that allows you to change the layout of that list. These layouts can be horizontal or vertical and can be either a single row/column or be in a grid.

That's a quick summary, and hopefully it's at least a little helpful Smile

(2017-11-20, 20:42)chrisstefanovski Wrote: Here's what I see when I go to settings/add-ons/manage dependencies. Nvda controller client dependency is shown as orphaned. What it means, and what should I do about it?
I found the same dll, so nvda controller client, for some other apps which have nvda support in. Could I put this dll somewhere to solve the issue, in the folder of kody screen reader, and if so, where should I put it? Jaws works when I select it, just nvda doesn't, because of the orphaned dependency.
The add-on for the NVDA controller is normally installed by the installer. You can also install it from within Kodi by installing from zip. Here's a link to that: https://github.com/ruuk/repository/blob/...p?raw=true
Something weird happens. When I try to install from zip, I locate the zip file, with left arrow I go to ok button, press enter, but it returns me back to file browser. Same happens also if I just press enter on the zip. I have enabled unknown sources.
(2017-11-19, 23:11)chrisstefanovski Wrote: Something weird happens. When I try to install from zip, I locate the zip file, with left arrow I go to ok button, press enter, but it returns me back to file browser. Same happens also if I just press enter on the zip. I have enabled unknown sources.

Well, it's normal for either of those to return you to the file browser at which point the add-on should be installed (or will be - sometime it takes a few seconds after). It will speak installation of new add-ons, but sometimes that can get cut off by other speech. Are you sure it's not installed? You will have to bring up the settings and select it as the default TTS engine. If it's not try it again and send me a log and maybe I can figure out what's up. It's located at %APPDATA%\Kodi\kodi.log. I'll PM you an email address you can send it to.
Hi All!

What happened to the forum? :-( It was much more screen reader friendly before. Now there are tons of elements that are not labeled at all!

How ever: Will the screen reader addon be updated to support estuary a little bit more? Currently I am still using Confluence. When I use Estuary as the default skin, some graphics or buttons are not spoken. For example the player controls in the Video OSD or Music OSD.

For now, as a blind user, I wouldn't recommend using estuary. Confluence is much better supported by the addon.

Regards!
Thanks for your recommendation. The forum changed because we have a newer version of the forum software.

As for the add-on, there will be more updates for Estuary, but it all depends on when I have time to work on this. Please file issues on GitHub at https://github.com/ruuk/service.xbmc.tts because then I can go through these whenever I have time. I don't use the add-on unless I'm working on it so I'm almost never going to know about what's wrong unless someone tells me Smile
I've recently found a solution that allows speech to work on Android devices that doesn't involve writing additional code. I was able to get speech working both on my Note 8 phone and my Nvidia Shield. It involves using an android app called Termux (an Android terminal emulator and Linux environment app) and running eSpeak and the speech server within that. Right now it works with eSpeak, but I'm confident it will be a simple matter to use a native Android speech interface that is part of Termux to create a new engine backend. In the short term I hope to soon create and share an installer script that can be downloaded and installed easily from within Termux to make setup simpler.

Also, as stated in my last post, please file issues on GitHub (https://github.com/ruuk/service.xbmc.tts) about issues with Estuary (or whatever). Please file separate issues for multiple items where it makes sense, as this will make it easier for me to tackle items as time allows.
@Traker1001 - This is similar to what you suggested a while back with s4la.
Hi!

As far as I can tell you are using MyBB as Forum Software. I'm running the latest version of MyBB with a slightly modified standard theme for more accessibility. I'm not sure what theme it is that is installed, but the standard theme of MyBB is already accessible, much more with some changes I made to it... :-) Anyway, that's just a comment.

I tried to sign up on Github in the past. I wanted to contribute to some other projects, but all the user names I tried were rejected. Unbelievable, that they all are already in use? :-) But I'll trie again in the next days.

Regards!
G'day folks,

I was hoping somebody could assist me with the same problem chrisstefanovski experienced. Unlike chrisstefanovski though, the website wouldn't let me download any of Kodi's previous versions (they're still visible, but not downloadable) as a potential resolution described in post 512.

So, firstly, I downloaded/installed the Kodi screen reader setup with no problems, unchecking the box asking to open Kodi after the installation. I then went and opened Kodi, waited for a few seconds, pressed F12 a few times, heard Kodi's default sounds, but no speech. Then, as I mentioned above, I attempted post 512's strategy but was unable to download previous versions of Kodi.

FYI I'm running Windows7 and blind as a bat. ;)

Keen to hear ANY suggestions.

Cheers
I found kodi 16.1 on the net and installed.  i then ran the screenreader install and it gave me speech for kodi including nvda.  I then updated to 17.6 and still had speech but no nvda.  I then ran the screen reader installer again but no choice for nvda was given in the screen reader settings just as before.  I ran the nvda script, no change.  I reinstalled 16.1 and got nvda without doing anything else.  I went back to version 17.6 and got the same thing, no nvda choice in the settings but the nvda controller script was still in the same location as in 16.1.   I have filed a report on github adn am happy to send a log if desired to ruuk.  Any thoughts are certainly appreciated.
If you have issues with NVDA not working, try downloading and installing the NVDA controller client module. I think the issue is caused by the fact that the Screen Reader Kodi installer installs the module into the system path, so if you update with a normal Kodi installer, this gets removed. If you install from the zip in the link, it will install to the user profile and therefore remain after updates.
(2017-12-14, 11:11)Scottie69 Wrote: G'day folks,

I was hoping somebody could assist me with the same problem chrisstefanovski experienced. Unlike chrisstefanovski though, the website wouldn't let me download any of Kodi's previous versions (they're still visible, but not downloadable) as a potential resolution described in post 512.

So, firstly, I downloaded/installed the Kodi screen reader setup with no problems, unchecking the box asking to open Kodi after the installation. I then went and opened Kodi, waited for a few seconds, pressed F12 a few times, heard Kodi's default sounds, but no speech. Then, as I mentioned above, I attempted post 512's strategy but was unable to download previous versions of Kodi.

FYI I'm running Windows7 and blind as a bat. Wink

Keen to hear ANY suggestions.

Cheers

By default on Windows, the Screen Reader will use the built in TTS - SAPI. Previously it used to have SAPI generate a WAV file and play that back via a built in Kodi command. It appears that this is causing Kodi to crash in recent versions, so I changed this to play the sounds directly via SAPI. I'm not sure, but possibly there is something to do with the volume mixer or some speech settings? I only have Windows 10 to test on currently. Also, if possible, a log might shed some light on this. It's located at:

Code:
%APPDATA%\Kodi\kodi.log

I'll PM you an email address you can use if you'd like to sent me a log.
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10