• 39(current)
Release Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)
I am running Kodi 17.6 and the latest Kodi screen reader version.  I installed the nvdacontrollerclient and it is enabled.  Nvda doesn't show as an engine choice.  thanks
So for the time being, 17.6 will not work with NVDA is this correct? For now, I am running on 17.3 and everything seems to be working fine. If this is not correct, please let me know.
Two other things I've noticed. This project isn't dead is it? Looks like the last github commit was on July of last year? Also, the link to download some of your stuff from your websites are broken. The only thing that I saw that worked was the nvdacontrollerclient zip file.
(2018-04-17, 16:45)blindndangerous Wrote: So for the time being, 17.6 will not work with NVDA is this correct? For now, I am running on 17.3 and everything seems to be working fine. If this is not correct, please let me know.

I don't see why that would make a difference. Are you saying you've tried 17.6 and NVDA didn't work for you with the NVDA client addon installed? (HERE)

(2018-04-25, 19:05)blindndangerous Wrote: Two other things I've noticed. This project isn't dead is it? Looks like the last github commit was on July of last year? Also, the link to download some of your stuff from your websites are broken. The only thing that I saw that worked was the nvdacontrollerclient zip file.

The develop branch was last updated in November, and I updated the Windows installer in December. I just double checked and the only link not working on the web page was the add-on download because that is was based on a script on my web hosting which I have recently changed. All that aside, it would depend on your interpretation of dead. I'm not actively adding features right now because I've continued to be extra busy, but I have been maintaining the add-on. I will fix issues, so please add any issues you find to the GitHub project and I'll fix them as time allows.
It's still in my plans to free up more time to work on this, but I can't say when that will happen.
hello there.
i've decided to update to kodi 17 but i did get the problem with the sapi thing so i followed the post 512 and tried it too but not success. I then saw that there was a newer version available so i downloaded the installer. deleted kodi17 and te appdata folder and installed the installer. when i launch kodi after it's done and press f12 nothing happeneds. i don't hear the activation sound of the addon as i should. i tried f6 as wel but nothing seems to work.
Anyone know what to do to fix this problem? i would like this thing to actually work lol.
hello. a qwick update. i've treid reinstalilng and a message popps up while installing the screenreader addon that some files can't be downloaded for connection reaons or something like that although my internet is just fine. the settup doesn't stop though it just continues installing anyway despite this message. maybe it has something to do with why the addon isn't working as it should
Here's what I did.  If you still have a working copy, give this a try. This is probably pretty hacky, but it, should in theory, get you up and running. I've tried this with several peoples setups, and it has all worked.
You're going to need a few things. From %appdata%\kodi\addons, grab these folders.
ruuk.addon.repository
script.module.nvdacontrollerclient
service.xbmc.tts
From %appdata%\kodi\userdata, grab these.
From the addon_data folder: service.xbmc.tts
From the keymaps folder: service.xbmc.tts.keyboard.xml
Now that you've got all that, I get a fresh Kodi setup, let it install customizing it how you want in the wizard. I have it run once, just so that it can create it's folders. Once it's up and you give it a few seconds, press s, enter.  That'll shut it down. Now put those folders that you got in %appdata%\kodi. So right back in their original places. I usually create a folder called addons and userdata, and just paste them in.
Now run Kodi again. You'll need to run it as an admin though. So find kodi.exe in program files (X86), press applications, and choose run as administrator.  Once kodi comes up, press F12. You should hear the tone, and you should start getting sapi speech.
To get NVDA working, you'll need to find it in settings. Make sure that you set your level to expert. It'll be under addons. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where it is, but it shouldn't be tough to find. Since you're their, also enable unknown sources.  Once you set yourself to expert, and go back to addons, go to the right, and find dependancies. Open that, and press shift+N. That should jump you down to NVDA, or close to it.  Press enter on it, and find enable. Now press F6, and you should see NVDA in your default tts engine list.
I told you a little hacky, and it looks like a lot of work, but it's not that tough.
Question 
I appreciate you outlining a hack to get the Kodi Screenreader running with NVDA. The problem is when reviewing the "NVDA Controller Client DLL" entry listed under manage dependencies it is marked "as Orphaned?"

So I'm unable to "Enable" it.

I'm running Kodi v17.6. Using NVDA 2018.1.1 as my screenreader. Do you have a hack/way of telling Kodi this particular dependency shouldn't be marked as orphaned?
I haven't tried this with 17.6, but I believe it should work. I've noticed that with Estuary, the enable option is to the right, after you press information from the context menu of NVDA in that list. See if you see it there. I'm not sure why Kodi marks it as orphaned, Ruuk may know though.
Clearly there is an issue going with runing nvda in kodi 17.6. I have the same problem. The nvdaControlerDll is enabled, yet it is marked as orphaned. I did find out that this is caused by kodi thinking that the dependansy is not beeing used by any addon, thus I tried to import the script.module.nvdacontrollerclient to service.xbmc.tts using the addon.xml, and now it shows that it is enabled, but stil no nvda.
note: I installed the addon using the setup file in both versions of kodi 16.1 and 17.6, in the first one everything worked perfectly, but in the last nvda won't show on the selection screen, only jaws and tts.
Greetings.
Thanks for sharing a fix to stop Kodi from listing the NVDA Controller as orphaned.

Problem is that NVDA still doesn't show up as a "Default TTs Engine" for the Kodi screenreader to use, as you already pointed out.

Just wish there was something that could be done to force Kodi v17.6 to use a voice other then the default MSAPI one (Think it's David.) Can a hack be created for enabling an option under the Kodi Screenreader CP listing all MSAPI voices currently installed under your copy of Windows? Then I could just select another one. Maybe tell the Kodi screenreader to use the default MSAPI voice set in the Windows settings -> Speech -> Text to Speech grouping instead? I'm using Windows 10 1803 by the way.

Wonder if this anoyance will be fixed in Kodi v18 Leia?
the tts voice that kodi uses is the default that you have in your window's text to speech.
I am using Acapela TTS with it. I can't survive using the windows default voice.
Hello RUUK! I am a blind person. I do not know English well, that's why I use an Google Translate. Sorry for the mistakes. Congratulations for preparing a great addition. I bought Ferguson Fbox ATV. This box has 2 systems installed. Android TV7.0 and Linux Debian. I installed TalkBack and Google TTS on Android TV. Both systems work simultaneously. I have SSH access to linux. I can use putty or the application installed on Android TV. I read that you launched speech on Android. You used the Termux program. Can you describe step by step how to install a speech server. in linux. \ How to start speech on Android TV, Kodi 18. How to install the SOX / MPEG123 player and Espeak voices working in linux. The python 2 is already installed in linux. Best regards, Waldek. I really count on help.
If this has already been solved, my mistake, but I just updated from 17.3 to 17.6, and now can no longer use kodi screenreader.  When I start up kodi, it plays the tone, then plays the shutdown sound.  It repeats this once more, then either kodi will freeze completely or will work but no screenreader support at all.  I've tried this with both sapi and nvda latest.
https://paste.kodi.tv/uxamojaqoy.kodi
I did nothing different, all I did was update.
Well that just made one of my friends happy when I sent him this reply about the nvidia shield.
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Screen Reader (Text to speech)10