Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles
Please if someone find the way to fix it , let me know , it is driving me crazy, i really need subtitles, it shuts down my system every time i try to download it. I have tried everything and nothing. Thank you.
Yes, downloading lasts 3, may be 4x times than on v12.
Hi,

I have made this thread specific for the "Subtitle Download" -issue for the ATV2 on Gotham.

See other thread regarding "ATV2 Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos":
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=198142
The Real Skimshady
I have exactly the same issue with Gotham v13. XBMC subtitles makes the APTV2 crash when streaming from the internet. No crash when streaming from my network. But it crashes about 1 times out of 2.
The Subtitle downloading is painstakingly long... and almost certainly crashes when I select one for download after a long download time prior to the crash.

I hope the fixes, if they come, will be implemented in Gotham, and not delayed until Helix...
The Real Skimshady
I'm sure there is fix because we are sure of the exact point when crash occurs.

Regarding the post before-before this, XBMC crash after network streaming. 1 out of 2-3 times.
S@
(2014-06-17, 18:12)bthusby Wrote: I can offer another observation regarding "Subtitle crash". It is not while Searching for subtitles it crashes, but at the end of the subtitle Downloading, i.e. after downloading for a long while...

This doesn't apply to my case. It does most often yes, but sometimes xbmc crashes on loading the subtitle menu after pressing 'download' (so before it even shows downloadable subtitle candidates).

It tried to capture the events with debugging enabled a couple of times but when I did, it worked ok then (no crash), even though I was able to reproduce it while debugging was disabled.
I think weeding out the ATV2 problems with the Subtitle functionality will benefit the XBMC community as a whole. We're sitting on low-end equipment that presumably feel the memory leaks or sub-optimal algorithms the best. Fixing this will make Subtitles more efficient for everybody, i.e. faster load-time, more stable etc.

That is if the reason for the ATV2 problems is low RAM or some other resource limitation on the device....
The Real Skimshady
(2014-06-29, 19:56)bthusby Wrote: I think weeding out the ATV2 problems with the Subtitle functionality will benefit the XBMC community as a whole. We're sitting on low-end equipment that presumably feel the memory leaks or sub-optimal algorithms the best. Fixing this will make Subtitles more efficient for everybody, i.e. faster load-time, more stable etc.

That is if the reason for the ATV2 problems is low RAM or some other resource limitation on the device....

I think I'll try some testing on the Raspberry Pi as well, since I can manually control the RAM split between the GPU and the system. I can even push it below 256, which might make finding a leak a little faster.
Sounds like the right way to go about it Big Grin

By the way, the Quartz skin works better for me on Video playback (more stable from random crashes), will test it extensibly on Subtitle download too. Have been using the Amber skin up till now, which worked well before on Frodo...
The Real Skimshady
It seems Subtitle Downloads works quite stable when I'm on the Quartz Skin. Have had no crashes yet after a few days of testing ;D

So everybody with ATV2 running Gotham, change to Quartz and see the difference!
The Real Skimshady
Quarts not helping. I'm on Quartz since forever and crashing is happening 3/5 times. Both on iOS 4.4.2 and iOS 5.0.

S@
Yeah, I have crashed two times when downloading subtitles now after switching to Quartz. The frequency of crashes is like 1 out of 5 times for me... After moving to Quartz the playback of Video is solid, and the few Subtitle crashes are happening during subtitle Search, NOT the subtitle Downloading part...

So I think the Subtitle searching in the new Subtitle system has some problems manifesting in the ATV2. And I'm still wishing for 'Download first sync'ed subtitle', running across all the subtitle providers. Just one click doing the job while I can watch the movie during searching and downloading Wink

But the bottomline is that I am much more happy now Big Grin
The Real Skimshady
(2014-07-02, 13:39)bthusby Wrote: It seems Subtitle Downloads works quite stable when I'm on the Quartz Skin. Have had no crashes yet after a few days of testing ;D

So everybody with ATV2 running Gotham, change to Quartz and see the difference!

LOL, crashed on very first attempt while on quarz...Undecided
I think this now solved with last Gotham beta ? On my ipad no crashes wit subtitles. very fast results and downloading...

any one can confirm ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles2