• 4(current)
[MYSQL] HOW-TO: 5 User XBMC
@ N4TH4N, Very nice writeup. I'm currently trying out the UPNP but doesn't seem extra fanart, discart, clear art, logos is supported. Does that content work on MySQL? And does it work for android clients?
(2014-06-09, 13:44)schumi2004 Wrote: I would prefer the one way direction.

I have seen request like this for separate databases before, for a long time also.
But for some reason never implemented in XBMC.

Currently I prefer your method since it works 100% were the other mod I tried gave me some issues on watched indicators for some reason.

Yes i think it will end up being couples 2 way, couples 1 way and family 1 way.

(2014-06-09, 17:35)Steini Wrote: The next step is to set some rules so that my parents cannot change the master database.

I guess the easiest would be to limit my parents mysql user to read only for most tables / views - only give it write access to watched flags

Thanks again for your great tutorial !

Ps one afterthought - how future-proof are we when Helix will come out?

I'm not sure yet as i have not had a look at a helix database but i think it should be reasonably straight forward.

Ill release an SQL upgrade script that manually upgrades the database outside of XBMC to support the new one.

Usually there are very few changes that need to be made.

(2014-06-09, 21:43)queonda Wrote: @ N4TH4N, Very nice writeup. I'm currently trying out the UPNP but doesn't seem extra fanart, discart, clear art, logos is supported. Does that content work on MySQL? And does it work for android clients?

With MySQL everything works as it normally would and yes any device can be setup to access a MySQL database.
Check Out My 5 User XBMC Tutorial
If i have helped you please REP+
Cool thanks. Can you add work instructions for Android Client?
I'm not sure how a script would work for android as I have not made one before for it. But I'll look into it. For the time being you can just add an advancedsettings.xml file to your userdata folder as described previously in this thread.
(2014-06-10, 02:47)N4TH4N Wrote: I'm not sure how a script would work for android as I have not made one before for it. But I'll look into it. For the time being you can just add an advancedsettings.xml file to your use data folder as described previously in this thread.

I think the best way for android is to manual copy profile dirs until a good solution is found, and a good solution would be a apk file that do al the things.
BUG: I have been made aware of a bug that affects the advancedsettings.xml file in regards to b, c, d and e music database connection. I'll fix this very soon. All other features are unaffected.
What was the bug?
Hey, when i added the music database to advancedsettings.xml there was a mistake that added lines of code to to the master profile rather then the slave profiles.

Its an easy fix, i have just been very busy.

Also the other bug is when you choose not to run a master profile on a client. Say you just want to use profile b. I need to add a few if statements to allow running without profile a. So it adjusts profile b to the master profile on that client.

Again an easy fix.

Both bugs can be fixed manually just by editing the advancedsettings.xml and profiles.xml files. But i should soon have them fixed anyway.
UPDATE: Bugs have been squished.

The advancedsettings.xml files were not being correctly generated in profile b, c, d and e in relation to the music database were being directed to profile a. This has now been fixed.

It appears it was as simple as adding "special://masterprofile/" to every profile directory in profiles.xml

I believe this was because the slave profiles were relying on the master profile for their directory location. So an absolute location should fix this.

Code:
special://masterprofile/
profiles/b/
profiles/c/
profiles/d/
profiles/e/

To:
Code:
special://masterprofile/
special://masterprofile/profiles/b/
special://masterprofile/profiles/c/
special://masterprofile/profiles/d/
special://masterprofile/profiles/e/

This how now been fixed in the new script.

I suggest that you run the xbmc-client-setup script again to generate new files then just copy all of your XBMC_Backup files back except profiles.xml and all 5 advancedsettings.xml files as they were the only files affected.

There should now be no bugs. But if you do find some please report them.
@N4TH4N
Any progress made on the couples mod?
Not yet sorry, i have had a busy week at work and was also preparing for some on track drifting which happened on friday. I should have some free time over the next couple of weeks to look at it.
UPDATE: It appears that using a absolute path was affecting Database and Thumbnails folders so i have redesigned the client setup script to overcome theses issues.

The new script now sets up only the profiles that are needed.

The script will now ask you for the corresponding database for the name you wish to set. For example database a is my database so i will enter "Nathan" and "a" under User 1 and Database 1.

You can setup your users in any order so long as the Name matches the Database letter.

If you only need 1 profile on a certain client only enter User 1 and Database 1 leaving the rest blank.

If you need 2 profiles enter User 1, Database 1, User 2, Database 2 etc.

The new script also adds an option for buffer by automatically adding the following code to all advancedsettings.xml files.

Code:
<network>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>9999</readbufferfactor>
</network>

The above code tells XBMC to cache all video files to the hard drive at maximum speed.

So when a video file starts playing it copies the whole file to the local hard drive so the network is not required during playback.

I use these settings because without them i get buffering issues as sleeping hard drives spin up on my server.

I you don't wish to use these buffer settings leave it blank. If you want to use them press 1.
@N4TH4N
Do you know what will happen if i upgrade to a Helix nightly when using these databases based on Gotham?
Are there any changes need for users who changed databases before you created these scripts and the recent updates?
The changes only affected the profiles.xml file if not using the master profile (a) or advancedsettings.xml files for music databases.

You can always just run the script again then copy and paste everything back from the XBMC_Backup folder except the advancedsettings.xml file, profiles folder and profiles.xml file.

You probably wont want to update to helix before i run a compare on the database to find out whats different. But if your curious...

I think that it just creates a new database called aXX anyway and does not affect the current one, but just to be safe backup first.
you should be able to update to Helix without a problem as db versions are still the same.
As always it is safest to update ALL clients and not run mixed versions
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MYSQL] HOW-TO: 5 User XBMC5