Airplay Volume on Amazon FireTV
I've been searching for a solution to this issue for about a week, without any luck. I have an Amazon FireTV that is running Gotham 13.1 RC1. Everything works well, except I can't control the volume of AirPlay music from my iPhone. The FireTV is connected to my AVR via SPDIF. The "Enable Volume Control" option IS set under the AirPlay menu. I do also have Passthrough Audio enabled (although, this setting didn't make a difference in being able to control volume).

One note: I do see that controlling the volume does appear to have SOME effect. That is: while I don't ever see a volume slider (I'm using the "Amber" skin), If I hold down the "volume down" on my iPhone long enough, I do see the "mute" icon come up on the TV screen. This suggests that the control is working, but that the volume isn't being affected to the receiver.

Any suggestions?
You cannot control volume via SPDIF. SPDIF is a fixed digital signal passed to your reciever that cannot be turned up or down.
Should I be able to control volume via HDMI then?
Update: I tried using HDMI as the output and I still can't control volume via Airplay. Note that this does work on he Apple TV, but not on the FireTV.
Fire TV doesn't currently have any real volume control, AirPlay or otherwise.
Hmmm; interesting. I just noticed that the video menu as "Volume" and "Volume Amplification" greyed out; never noticed that before.

Is this a FireTV thing or an XBMC-on-FireTV thing? The FireTV so far is the closest I've come to an all-in-one media player for my needs... this issue is somewhat disappointing. I like to be able to control the music volume from my phone.
A FireTV thing. Some Android firmware prevent normal volume control or something along those lines. The same issue pops up for the OUYA, for example. They will ignore the level except for mute. I wish I knew more about the issue, as I find it very frustrating as well.
Ok; thanks for the info. That is indeed frustrating. I just can't seem to find the "holy grail" of media players. I want something that does XBMC and NetFlix seamlessly (ie: easy switch back and forth); and can be controlled via IR. It should also allow AirPlay for playing music from my iPhone (video would be nice too, but that is flaky under XBMC). FireTV does most of this (with the help of external IR), but not without hacks... Search continues I guess, although this one is the closest by far Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Airplay Volume on Amazon FireTV0