[Linux] Apt not offering 13.1
Hey!

The XBMC version I've currently got is XBMC 13.0 Git:d420b5c (Compiled May 6 2014). My installation an XBMCBuntu (Ubuntu Quental from little over a year ago.

When I do an apt-get update (in an attempt to get the 13.1 update), it doesn't appear like apt is registering that a new version of xbmc is available.

My /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list contains the following lines (which looks about right to me):

Code:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu quantal main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu quantal main

This isn't an issue of the xbmc-packages being held back or anything like that (was the first thing I checked). A new version simply doesn't register with my apt system.

Anyone experienced this issue?
Quantal support was stopped by Canonical at the end of May.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well that explains that then. I'll do a distribution upgrade - that'll probably fix that.
I suggest reinstalling with xbmcbuntu v13 as a base.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
If you upgrade your Ubuntu distro, it should probably work.

I just installed Linux Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) here, installed XBMC from the software manager, which was 12.04, and then followed the instructions at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins..._for_Linux and it updated to 13.1 easily.
I did the good old do-release-upgrade from the update-manager-core package and it went just fine. It took me to saucy first though - but another do-release-upgrade took me to trusty... odd.

I'm happy I didn't have to do a new installation - I run a ton of other stuff off my HTPC, and reconfiguring all that would have cost a perfectly good Sunday evening Wink

Anyway, everything works now - and v 13.1 solved my odd issue where pausing a video for more than a minute, then unpausing would blow the audio up - literally just extreme noise until the video was restarted. Sweet deal!
just a heads up, saucy will be deprecated soon as well
For those of you who are like me - and the rest of these guys assume we know everything... (but clearly we are behind the times!) I have a little description.

I installed XBMCBuntu version 12 way back when it first came out - and refused to do clean installs everytime. This resulted in my base operating system being quite outdated, but the XBMC program was being updated. What is happening here is that you cannot move to version 13.1 without updating your core OS ubuntu.

To do so you need to get the core service manager.

To do this open your SSH (putty) window, connect as your administrator and then type in your password.

check your version number:

sudo apt-cache policy xbmc

check this website for what version your on against the newest:
http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/xbmc

then use these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core

... scripts run... you get another beer...

When completed type in:

sudo do-release-upgrade

... yes blah blah blah... oh look the word saucy comes in... get another beer...

As Fersken says, you will go to Saucy first. Saucy will eventually go away, just above me wsnipex said so. You want to get to trusty.

sudo do-release-upgrade

Should put you into trusty now.

Now do:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --only-upgrade install xbmc xbmc.bin

reboot your machine - or restart xbmc.

You can check your version again using the cache policy command if you want, but my guess is your like me, 4 beers in and glad you didnt have to completely re-install everything.

I drink corona...

or - do it direct instead of ssh.. just sayin.
Be aware that the system may ask you questions when doing the upgrades, such as whether to keep or overwrite certain files. It isn't totally unattended to do these upgrades.
(2014-06-10, 10:37)OmniBlade Wrote: Be aware that the system may ask you questions when doing the upgrades, such as whether to keep or overwrite certain files. It isn't totally unattended to do these upgrades.

Yea - normally I'd recommend choosing the option to override with the package maintainers version, except in cases where you know that you've made changes your self - one example of a file I wouldn't override is the samba-configuration files.

My rule of thumb: if I don't know what it is: override. If it will only take a second to enter your custom setting again: override. If you've changed the file enough that you know it'll take ages to enter everything again - don't override.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Apt not offering 13.10