• 4(current)
Release [SteamOS] Kodi repository
13.2 is now available in the repo
Hello,
I want to know if AMD GFX cards are supported for hardware video decoding
with xbmc 13.2 ?
No, they aren't. Fglrx is not supported. There exists and old xvba to vaapi wrapper - you can try it, but with helix that also will stop working.
We had implemented fglrx decoding support - but threw it completely out of the window cause of constant _no_support_ from the closed source amd guys.

OSS radeon drivers are supported and work nicely.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-06-27, 16:05)dstonecypher3 Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 03:00)jazz1138t Wrote: Great work guys, this is going to save me a heap of time. Previously I was compiling my own and using the wheezy apt mirror for xbmc build deps.

Unfortunately like the version I have been compiling and using for the last few months there are a few things still to work out:

1.) "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" does not work when you run XBMC under the steam user (Big Picture Mode). Presumably the steamos compositor is blocking this. This results in a stutter on long panning shots on most TV's. To get around this I have replaced the gnome.desktop xsession with the XBMC.session.

2.) When a wireless XBOX360 controller goes to sleep. XBMC will not register it's presence when you wake it back up so you have to revert to using the keyboard. It would also be nice if we could make under input "use joystiks" a default option for this version of XBMC.

3.) To get passthrough (AC3,DTS) audio to work I must add the line 'pactl set-sink-formats 0 "pcm; ac3-iec61937; dts-iec61937; eac3-iec61937"' to the paulseadio section of xbmc-standalone. This is probably just me as BPM refuses to apply these settings after reboot probably because both my Nvidia card's use the second sink for HDMI output instead of the first.

Also a note to those who use an HDMI amp and wish to passthrough Dolby/DTS streams to it. Make sure that in the SteamOS audio settings you have it set to "HDMI Stereo" and in XBMC set your audio settings to "HDMI 2.0" Only then can you enable passthrough. Seems counter-intuitive I know.

Cheers,

Jarrad.

Could you talk about #1? I'm new to the interface, and I'm having a problem with only the full-screen view of xbmc launched with the big picture shortcut.

Launching xbmc from the desktop view works normally. Launching fullscreen from big picture gives a big mess of non-updating image, although the menu and sounds seem to still work. I can switch to windowed with '\' and it works ok, but it's a small resolution and messy.

Any answer to this post?

When I launch XBMC from SteamOS I get either the splash screen or a blank screen. Menu and sounds works but I just can't see anything.
When I force exit (going back to Steam using Xbox button) twice, I finally get it working.

Usually this is what happen :
1) Launch XBMC (only get XMBC splash screen. Menu and Sounds seems OK in the background)
2) Exit via Steam
3) Launch XBMC (only get blank screen. Menu and Sounds seems OK in the background)
4) Exit via Steam
5) Launch XBMC and finally everything works correctly

NB : I Have SteamOS update 135 installed on dedicated machine with AMD 7850K Kaveri APU.
NB2 : Launching XBMC via SteamOS desktop works correctly
thats due to AMDs always broken fglrx driver. Nothing we can do.
oh ok...that's an information to put on first page for people with AMD graphics to be aware of.
I'll wait for a fix from AMD then.
Thanks again.
Don't wait - it won't happen ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
As for fglrx on steamos: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamun...533548192/
I was just reading this topic too.
Didn't know about those issues before building my "steam machine" but except the black screen problem (only with XBMC for my concern) + sometimes crackling sound over HDMI, everything is just fine.
I'll deal with it until AMD eventually wake up or I can still buy an NVIDIA discrete card in the future.
(2014-06-11, 03:00)jazz1138t Wrote: 2.) When a wireless XBOX360 controller goes to sleep. XBMC will not register it's presence when you wake it back up so you have to revert to using the keyboard. It would also be nice if we could make under input "use joystiks" a default option for this version of XBMC

Are you guys going to fix it on the next update? Or when kodi comes out for steamos?
I have an issue where the settings for my Steam controller won't work within XBMC. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing that issue?
Try what's in this thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1740344
(2014-10-03, 23:59)damitchris Wrote:
(2014-06-11, 03:00)jazz1138t Wrote: 2.) When a wireless XBOX360 controller goes to sleep. XBMC will not register it's presence when you wake it back up so you have to revert to using the keyboard. It would also be nice if we could make under input "use joystiks" a default option for this version of XBMC

Are you guys going to fix it on the next update? Or when kodi comes out for steamos?

I've added a workaround for that in the steamos repo. Details are in the thread teedubb posted above.
And we are working on properly fixing the issue: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5364
(2014-06-15, 20:57)regnets Wrote: I two problems so far.

If i enable Live-TV without any Live-TV addons via apt-get installed. XBMC freezes.

The pulse eight cec adapter isn't working (as expected, because steam is not running as root).

(2014-06-15, 21:15)fritsch Wrote: steam does not need to be run as root, just make sure the device node is chowned correctly and your user is in the relevant group.

I am having a similar problem with my pulse eight cec adapter and am not clear on how to follow fritsch's advice. Can anyone help break that advice down into a series of steps?
(2014-10-04, 01:53)teeedubb Wrote: Try what's in this thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1740344

Was that in reference to my Steam Controller issue? Mine shouldn't be because of Hotplugging, so I'm not sure that really relates.

XBMC isn't using the controls that I set up via Big Picture mode. Note: I am using one of the Valve beta controllers, not an Xbox 360 controller.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SteamOS] Kodi repository2