Win One HTPC, two rooms.
Hey,
I'm am looking into buying a htpc system for my home, but am not fully knowledgeable on the subject. I've searched everywhere for an answer but can't seem to find anything online. I would like to use xbmc from two rooms, streaming the content from one machine, but without using two computers. I've read about windows media 'extenders' which do this (and don't cost as much as a new htpc), streaming media from windows media centre on one PC to other systems. The reason I want to do this is so that I don't have to buy two htpcs for the two rooms. So, my questions is, basically, is this possible with xbmc?

Thanks for reading this :)
Nope. Get a raspberry pi or a used OUYA in the $50-60 range. They can run a full blown XBMC version and are probably the price of what an "extender" would be anyways.
what about one PC, 2 VGA's, and 2 Soundcards paired with real long hdmi cables?

You can use 2 remote controls... or maybe control both xbmc instances with remote mobile aplications like yatse...

I have a similar setup here, but instead of having 2 xbmcs, I have 1 Lightdm + 1 xbmc on a Linux environment.

You need 2 "ServerLayout" sessions on xorg.conf... fire your clients with -isolateDevice, and specify input devices.

The real challenge comes when you have 2 different GPUs like I have here... managing 2 different libgl can be painfull.
(2014-06-15, 01:30)longarai Wrote: what about one PC, 2 VGA's, and 2 Soundcards paired with real long hdmi cables?

You can use 2 remote controls... or maybe control both xbmc instances with remote mobile aplications like yatse...

I have a similar setup here, but instead of having 2 xbmcs, I have 1 Lightdm + 1 xbmc on a Linux environment.

You need 2 "ServerLayout" sessions on xorg.conf... fire your clients with -isolateDevice, and specify input devices.

The real challenge comes when you have 2 different GPUs like I have here... managing 2 different libgl can be painfull.

Hardly worth the hassle IMHO when a pi is in the order of $50 and an x86 htpc in the order of $200.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
One HTPC, two rooms.0