Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos (NAS)
Exclamation 
The situation regarding the ATV2 unstability on Gotham needs some specific threads because there are still some big issues unsolved. Almost leaves the ATV2 useless for XBMC....

Please keep this thread on topic so it is not closed!

Anybody experiences Crashes during Video streaming from NAS, and especially when starting up and during heavy action scenes in the video, please have debug turned on and upload Debug.log + Crash.log via Pastebin.com or Xbmclogs.com and linked here so it can be investigated further. The issue seems to be RAM limitation on the ATV2 or a new introduced conflict with iOS itself. So far it seems like the crash happens outside of the XBMC scope, i.e. iOS itself crashes...

I run Gotham 13.01 and Apple TV Software version 5.2 (6010.96), and I use NFS to stream from my NAS.

Hope we can solve this together Smile
The Real Skimshady
FYI Smile

See other thread for the issue regarding "ATV2 Gotham - Crashes when Downloading Subtitles":
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=196814
The Real Skimshady
Good shout bthusby, I thought this issue was going to get lost. I sympathise with the situation the devs are in on this one, it sounds like a bit of a needle in a haystack in a darkened barn to try and pin point it.

I get crashes when starting video playback regularly, and there are some videos that seem more likely to crash than others. FWIW, I'll switch all debug logging back on and post here next time it happens, at least there will be one solid example of it.
Hi,

Reproduced a crash today to get a good log:

It was a rather large video file (high quality 720p MKV): 2.18GB for a 44 minute episode of a TV Show. It crashed while starting, and video didn't start showing at all (sometimes it starts for a minute or two before crashing, but it always crashes at some point early on). For info: Some TV shows plays rock steady every time, and other makes me crash quite often, and other again crashes every time.

Debug Log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=231063

It doesn't produce a crash log... Strange? Tried three times....
I'm looking for the log here in the ATV2 filesystem:

/var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

Any more clues to what happens? Smile
The Real Skimshady
I can reproduce this on a daily basis. I was following that previous, now-closed thread and have been keeping mental notes of when and what it crashes on so now that the issue is being discussed again and I have a good feel for how to reproduce it I figured it's time to throw my 2¢ into the hat.

The crash usually only occurs if XBMC has been idle for a period of time (20-ish hours typically in my case) and only if the file that is attempted to be played is 720p (HD). I can play SD files no problem after a long idle time, but the first HD file played of the day causes a crash. After re-launching XBMC that same HD file will usually play fine, as well as all subsequent HD files played that day. When my XBMC is idling it is running the Fan Art screensaver.

This is with Gotham 13.1 on an ATV2 running iOS 4.4.4. Media source is NFS share on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. I will edit this post with debug/crashreporter logs this evening.
Hi, I am experiencing the same issues. Here is what I noticed. btw I am running now 13.1 and 5.3 jailbreak with only two add ons installed and the basic wallpaper.

1 - I never had this problem with the tethered jailbreak 5.21 (however have not reverted back to it to retest this theory.)

2 - The same HD file that will crash in XBMC (12, 13, 13.1) will play perfectly on other software such as Infuse or streaming from my PC under iTunes.

I have posted my log file on other sites but no one has found a solution. Since then I have stopped using my XBMC on Apple TV due to this constant rebooting and crashing and awaiting a solution.

The limitations theory makes sense but if that was true this file (various hd files) should crash every time but it is only with the xbmc software streaming from PC/Mac or an add-on.

Sometimes they play but most of the time they crash.
I have been having the same problem, ever since I upgraded to gotham. When I was on frodo I never had an issue
I also have a HD MKV video on a Nas and as soon as i start to play XBMC crashes and goes back to Apple Menu
I can play SD files and as mentioned in another thread, every so often the video will freeze for approx 2 seconds
while audio continues and then video carries on again and all ok, until next freeze.
Hi,

These two videos crash everytime. Here are the screenshots of VLC Media Codec info:

This one by the way plays everytime:

The Codec infos seem the same to me on all 3 video files... The crashing files are generally larger in GB-size, and starts buffering before the crash or crashes instantly.
The Real Skimshady
Use mediainfo instead - the screenshots don't carry any usefull information.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
good find with the large GB size, would any one know if an advanced xml would fix this issue?
Ok, Here goes....

These two files crashes every time:

http://pastebin.com/1jartm63

.......and this video file never crashes:

http://pastebin.com/0wne58Rg

Edit by memphiz: moved the log spam to pastebin
The Real Skimshady
As of those logs -

bad Profile [email protected] with 5.1 DTS
good Profile [email protected] with AAC 2.0 Audio

Well it still points towards memory pressure which is higher on the bad ones then on the good ones for sure. (because of higher datarate and more audio data...)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Smile sorry for not using pastebin earlier...

This video file crashes sometimes, but can if I'm lucky be watched without a crash, i.e. borderline case:

http://pastebin.com/YS3zbpBg

This one actually has slightly lower overall bit rate than the example that runs OK every time, but it uses 'Format profile: [email protected]' instead of '[email protected]' for the Video, and it uses AC-3 instead of AAC encoding for Sound. Additionally I see that this one has Video settings 'CABAC' + 'ReFrames: 5' vs 'non-CABAC' + 'ReFrames: 2' for the OK one. This probably makes it heavier to decode...

Can anyone shed some light on this? Smile
The Real Skimshady
Hi all,
I have had the same exact issues plus the subtitles crash as well. Could not stream anything. It kept on crashing. In the end after upgrading to nightly builds and reverting back to previous builds etc, I uninstalled XBMC, uninstalled dependencies as well. Did not delete my settings. Installed 13.1 from scratch as stated in the wiki and have had no issues streaming from NAS or the net or any subtitle problems at all.
Hope this helps.

Running 5.3 (6105) on the ATV2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - Crashes when Streaming Videos (NAS)1