• 8(current)
Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
is this ticket going anywhere? Sad
  • unRAID server
  • EmbyServer docker container
  • LibreELEC virtual machine
  • Kodi (Aeon Nox SiLVO)
Nothing has happened as far as I know, also no feedback yet if the demo files I created are sufficient.
Hm...

In the meantime... Tongue because I am about to retag my whole music collection,
would it be best to use the artist field for multiple artists (e.g. Artist X feat. Artist Y), or is it better to move the "feat." to the track title (e.g. Title (feat. Artist Y))Huh

What would Kodi do in the first case in the now playing screen when there was a logo.png file for the actual album artist (Artist X)? Would the logo replace the "Artist X feat. Artist Y" string?

hope someone can clear me up
  • unRAID server
  • Kodi (Aeon Nox SiLVO)
There are several different cases (this assumes Universal Artist Scraper, other scrapers may behave differently)

1. You have artist tag Artist X feat. Artist Y and no MB artist ID tag. "override song tags" is set in settings/music.

When song is scanned, UAS will look for Artist X. If Artist X is found, Artist X will be added to the list of "artists" as Artist X. if Artist X is not found, Artist X feat. Artist Y will be added to the list of "artists". Artist X feat. Artist Y will be displayed in the song info artist in either case.

2. You have artist tag Artist X feat. Artist Y and no MB artist ID tag. "override song tags" is not set.

When song is scanned, UAS will look for Artist X. If Artist X is found or not found, Artist X will be added to the list of "artists" as Artist X feat. Artist Y. Artist X feat. Artist Y will be displayed in the song info artist.

3. You have artist tag Artist X feat. Artist Y and MB artist ID for Artist X. "override song tags" is set.
Same as case 1, except Artist X will always be found (unless the ID is bad data).

4. You have artist tag Artist X feat. Artist Y and MB artist ID for Artist X. "override song tags" not set.
Same as case 2, but the artist additional info will always be found.

In none of these cases will Artist Y ever be added to the list of "artists", but you will not get "duplicate song artists" either. The problem is always when you try to get Kodi to add the featured artist (Artist Y) to the list of artists.

scott s.
I know that I'm probably starting to sound like an incredible nagging user but is there any update/info on this issue?
Nothing can be done with this for now as there is simply no one with the required skill set available to look at it for the moment.
Not a xbmc dev, but looked into this problem and have created a pull request that will add support for the ARTISTS tag (ape, id3v2 and flac). From my initial testing this solves the problem that has been reported in this thread if the files have the proper ARTISTS tag. But I have only tested it with a small amounts of files and only tagged with picard and/or puddletag. If you know how to compile xbmc yourself and have this problem, please check if this pr solves it.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7281
wow this sounds awesome Smile
can someone try this out pls? I have no idea how to use it Sad
  • unRAID server
  • Kodi (Aeon Nox SiLVO)
There is a test version available, see: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15761#comment:22
looks good on 5 test cd's all id3 2.4 tagged with Musicbrainz Picard
I did some quick testing using APE tags in mp3. I don't think this works as intended. In one test the song artist is
(APE: ARTIST) Hardwell Feat. Matthew Koma
The artists are
(APE: ARTISTS) Hardwell
(APE: ARTISTS) Matthew Koma
The artist MBIDs are
(APE: MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID) 170d6637-36e0-49dd-a225-c4fd5b77a285
(APE: MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID) f387841c-9bc7-47e9-b78b-6fb7834ac71f
Album Artist is
(APE: ALBUMARTIST) Various Artists

Settings/music/library prefer online information is "off"

This results in the song artist is that the song artist is stored and displayed as
Hardwell / Matthew Koma

I thought the point of the artist tag was that the artist "credit" ie., Hardwell Feat. Matthew Koma, would be used as the song artist, but not appear as an "artist"? This does fix the duplication problem, but that could be done simply by editing the ARTIST tag before scanning into Kodi.

scott s.
Thumbs Up 
Did a test with Jarvis Beta 4 to see if this is resolved and like it says in the release notes it is fixed Nod

The only "odd" thing is that Various Artists are now an Artist, not sure if that is as intended.
(2015-12-16, 10:49)Rouzax Wrote: The only "odd" thing is that Various Artists are now an Artist, not sure if that is as intended.

That was another change/fix that users requested, so yes it is intended.
(2015-12-16, 10:52)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2015-12-16, 10:49)Rouzax Wrote: The only "odd" thing is that Various Artists are now an Artist, not sure if that is as intended.

That was another change/fix that users requested, so yes it is intended.

Great just wanted to be sure it was intended.
Thanks to all who contributed to this change.
Hi,

I just upgraded to Jarvis aswell and the Artists tag works great.
But I have a different problem now and I don't know what's the reason behind it.

I have a few artists that have there own alphabetical order in the library.
basically it looks like this:

As you can see,the artists from Jay-Z to Yelawolf are sorted in an alphabetical order at the top.
The rest of the artists is shown correctly.

I don't know how this happens. The only thing I recognized is that these are all artists that have another artist of the library featured somewhere or are featured on another album.
But the same is true for other artists in that list where the issue does not appear Sad

Does anyone has an idea?
I was so happy that the artists issue is solved and now there is the next problem Tongue
  • unRAID server
  • Kodi (Aeon Nox SiLVO)
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi1