• 3(current)
Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
It could be easy.
As soon as mbid's are seen in a file it should adhere to the logic I descibed a few post back http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1833916
That way everybody that does use MusicBrainz will have a correct database.
(2014-11-26, 03:02)scott967 Wrote: Meanwhile, the database also saves something called "song artist string". This is only used for display with the track/song itself, not a part of the list of artists. This probably needs some tweaking as the song will have 3 song artists saved that it shows as Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC / Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC / Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC probably not so good. I suspect the problem is some people want the song artist to read Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris MC and meanwhile have 3 artists in the database, namely
Beginner
Das Bo
Ferris MC
Apparently it's not only used for display with the track/song itself, but also for scrobbling to last.fm.

(2014-11-26, 03:02)scott967 Wrote: ...but I don't think you can get that. You could get the song artist as Beginner / Das Bo / Ferris MC while keeping all three artists in the database, but I guess some people want to keep that "feat.".

For my part I strip out all "feat." and " & " that are used as conjunctives in artist or album artist tags, and instead use separate tags for each, ignoring whether or not the second (or additional) artists have a "feat." credit.
This is song info I do indeed want to keep. A song artist isn't exactly the same as a feat.

(2014-11-26, 09:25)Rouzax Wrote: It could be easy.
As soon as mbid's are seen in a file it should adhere to the logic I descibed a few post back http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1833916
I do want to keep using Musicbrainz/picard, and certainly keep a correct database.

(2014-11-11, 14:31)Rouzax Wrote: If XBMC/Kodi would read the correct artist tag there would be no problem.
For the library it is great if each artist on a record is individually listed, however the display of the song should just be the Artist tag.
That way I can search for any artist but in the now play screen it looks as it should.
This sums it up very nicely...
The workaround for now is to find all the offending albums and retag them in Picard manually setting the musicbrainz artist id to the id of the Album Artist alone. To find the offending album(s), load them into Picard and check the musicbrainz artist ID. If it's one long number, the album is good, if it says "different across x items" it's going to be a problem. The easiest way to fix this is to allow musicbrainz to tag the album but before you save, copy the musicbrainz release artist id to the musicbrainz artist id and hit save. Make sure you're highlighting the album name and not just one song. When and if this is ever fixed, you can easily rescrape the album and tag it per musicbrainz.

(2014-11-27, 17:29)clubwerks Wrote: The workaround for now is to find all the offending albums and retag them in Picard manually setting the musicbrainz artist id to the id of the Album Artist alone. To find the offending album(s), load them into Picard and check the musicbrainz artist ID. If it's one long number, the album is good, if it says "different across x items" it's going to be a problem. The easiest way to fix this is to allow musicbrainz to tag the album but before you save, copy the musicbrainz release artist id to the musicbrainz artist id and hit save. Make sure you're highlighting the album name and not just one song. When and if this is ever fixed, you can easily rescrape the album and tag it per musicbrainz.

KODI should just adhere to the MusicBrainz standard. KODI chose to use the MBID's otherwise it should just read the simple artist tag,
I'm not going to argue about what kodi should do, I'm just giving people a simply fix for the problem until it's sorted out.
(2014-11-27, 19:57)clubwerks Wrote: I'm not going to argue about what kodi should do, I'm just giving people a simply fix for the problem until it's sorted out.

Sorry, didn't mean it to be disrepectful.
(2014-11-26, 08:33)Davey Wrote: Could KODI save "song artist string" as the original tag "Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris" and then store the individual artists. That way the database can be search on the individual artists but the GUI would display the correct artists description when displaying the "album list" of "now playing" - of course this is from someone who knows nothing off the internal workings of KODI

That might be one possible solution. If the tag scanner finds 1 artist tag it only saves 1 song artist, meanwhile still uses the artist MBID to populate the artist list. We still have the problem of what name to give the artist when there are more artist MBIDs than artist tags.

scott s.
(2014-11-28, 08:28)scott967 Wrote:
(2014-11-26, 08:33)Davey Wrote: Could KODI save "song artist string" as the original tag "Beginner feat. Das Bo & Ferris" and then store the individual artists. That way the database can be search on the individual artists but the GUI would display the correct artists description when displaying the "album list" of "now playing" - of course this is from someone who knows nothing off the internal workings of KODI

That might be one possible solution. If the tag scanner finds 1 artist tag it only saves 1 song artist, meanwhile still uses the artist MBID to populate the artist list. We still have the problem of what name to give the artist when there are more artist MBIDs than artist tags.

scott s.
That could be fixed with the following solution.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1833916
(2014-11-26, 09:25)Rouzax Wrote: It could be easy.

That might work, but requires a new tag to be read, and I'm guessing only Picard writes that tag so it's kind of a limited application.

scott s.
But MBID are also MusicBrainz only tags Smile
If those are seen in the tags a simple if statement would suffice to select the correct strings.
any news on this one?
I seem to be getting a similar/same problem.

It appears that the tags being read are different to the tags being displayed in the library.

As a result the same artist can be listed multiple times this appears to happen where multiple artists are involved in the creation of one track

I think the display is showing the Album Artist, but the grouping is based on the Artists tag.

A solution nearer to perfection, but not impossibly difficult would be to have a library view for each tag, so we could have Artists as a library view, using the Artists Tag and displaying the Artists Tag and to have a separate Album Artists view, displaying the Album Artists tag. Extending this concept we could have a Release Country view a Record Label View and if we made custom tags we could even use those. I doubt anyone would want all possible views, so perhaps you might need to fiddle with the config to get any thing exotic such as a year-month view or the record label view.

Perhaps the way to do it would be to provide a name for the tag view, The tag for the view and a regular expression to apply to the tag.

I guess there is an issue with multiple artists in that you want the track to appear under each artist when in artist view. Perhaps having multiple reg ex captures to extract multiple values from a single field and create multiple indexed entries in the library.
Did you read my explanation? It's all based on the music brainz artist id.
It may well be using the "music brainz artist id" rather than the "artists" tag, I did not dig that deep, it doesn't matter it is wrong and it doesn't work for me and it doesn't work for a lot of other people the logic of using that tag is unfathomable.

Having as flexible system that can use any tags and present the library via the myriad of possibilities that are presented by the tags would make sense.
(2014-11-28, 09:38)Rouzax Wrote: But MBID are also MusicBrainz only tags Smile
If those are seen in the tags a simple if statement would suffice to select the correct strings.

Don't believe that is correct. "MBID" has become a de-facto GUID for artists and albums, and it shouldn't (IMHO) be assumed that only the MusicBrainz database format is acceptable for use. It could be that the MusicBrainz database data dictionary is a "best practice" (though from what I've seen MB allows " & " as both a connective and embedded in an artist name which seems to complicate things).

scott s.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi1