• 4(current)
Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
(2014-12-03, 14:29)brucedenney Wrote: I seem to be getting a similar/same problem.

It appears that the tags being read are different to the tags being displayed in the library.

As a result the same artist can be listed multiple times this appears to happen where multiple artists are involved in the creation of one track

I think the display is showing the Album Artist, but the grouping is based on the Artists tag.

A solution nearer to perfection, but not impossibly difficult would be to have a library view for each tag, so we could have Artists as a library view, using the Artists Tag and displaying the Artists Tag and to have a separate Album Artists view, displaying the Album Artists tag. Extending this concept we could have a Release Country view a Record Label View and if we made custom tags we could even use those. I doubt anyone would want all possible views, so perhaps you might need to fiddle with the config to get any thing exotic such as a year-month view or the record label view.

Perhaps the way to do it would be to provide a name for the tag view, The tag for the view and a regular expression to apply to the tag.

I guess there is an issue with multiple artists in that you want the track to appear under each artist when in artist view. Perhaps having multiple reg ex captures to extract multiple values from a single field and create multiple indexed entries in the library.

First, you have the settings option to show compilation artists or not. Effectively, that allows the option of showing just "album artists" or both "artists" and "album artists" (but, not as "views" per se).

Note that there is an "artist" tag (text string) and Kodi by default uses the text string " / " to separate multiple artists (for tag formats which don't allow multiple instances of an "artist" tag).

The text string for each artist is stored in 2 places in the database: the artist table and the song_artist table. I'm not sure having two different database attributes for the same logical concept is a good database design (but I'm not an RDBMS guy so leave that for others) but that's the way it is.

You have the option as user to store the artist text string as found in the tag, or to supply an MBID and accept whatever MB has determined is the "correct" text string (override tag option). As it happens, the design seems to be that only the text string in the artist table is changed based on override tag with MBID, not the one in the song_artist. I don't know the reasoning, but assume that this was done because the artist table is the one used for storing the "additional info" for an artist and that is really why MBID was added, to aid in finding the correct additional artist info.

Note that MusicBrainz employs devices such as an "alias" attribute to provide more flexibility to set whivh text string is used for an artist (this is quite useful for example when an artist name has both a latin1 script text string and another text string using some other script).

Any change to this is a fairly extensive undertaking, maybe an idea for Kodi 15. It will have to compete with other ideas for music library changes, such as better handling for classical music.

Separately, there is the question of the semantics of the connective "feat.". The song_artist table does have a boolean featured attribute for each song_artist, but I don't know exactly how that attribute gets set. That might be something that needs to be looked at.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I'm not sure what the problem is. This is an example of one of my songs:

Song name: 2-07 - Reba McEntire feat. Linda Davis - Does He Love You
Contributing artists tag: Reba McEntire feat. Linda Davis;
Album Artist: Reba McEntire

As long as include artists who appear only on compilations is deselected, Linda Davis 'does not' appear anywhere in my library.
Selected and I get a listing for Reba and Linda for the same song.

I did tag all my music with musicbrainz using the setting for join multiple id3v2.3 tags with /.
Quote:press C to bring up the context menu and choose "Album Information" and then "Refresh"

This kind work, but not everytime Rolleyes

but I´m wondering why did Kodi not get the info like this in first place anyway?

at ~1000 cd's "refresh" around 80% by hand is no fun at all Tongue
Any update from dev would be appreciated.
(2014-12-04, 03:48)Kwulabear Wrote: I'm not sure what the problem is. This is an example of one of my songs:

As long as include artists who appear only on compilations is deselected, Linda Davis 'does not' appear anywhere in my library.

I did tag all my music with musicbrainz using the setting for join multiple id3v2.3 tags with /.

I think our problem happens when you put the "feat." into the title field. Reba McEntire - Does He Love You feat. Linda Davis would be shown as Reba McEntire / Reba McEntire - Does he love you feat. Linda Davis.
(2014-12-18, 15:22)mancer Wrote:
(2014-12-04, 03:48)Kwulabear Wrote: I'm not sure what the problem is. This is an example of one of my songs:

I think our problem happens when you put the "feat." into the title field. Reba McEntire - Does He Love You feat. Linda Davis would be shown as Reba McEntire / Reba McEntire - Does he love you feat. Linda Davis.

I tag everything with MusicBrainz Picard as id3 v2.4 and I think that might be the problem. There are a lot more fields available in id v2.4 instead of 2.3.

Does everybody that has this issue tagged their files as id v2.4?
For me it's the same with 2.3 and 2.4 :-S
Uhm... do FLAC and MP3 files handle the tags differently...?
I tried 2.3 and 2.4 and it did not make any different
(2014-12-20, 15:25)mancer Wrote: Uhm... do FLAC and MP3 files handle the tags differently...?

FLAC tags are nothing like ID3. The basic rule on FLAC (actually Vorbis Comments) is each "tag" contains a single "value". So if you have multiple artists you simply repeat the "ARTIST" tag as many times as necessary. The main advantage of ID3 v2.4 over 2.3 is that 2.4 uses a "null" as the value separator, while 2.3 is inconsistent (the only thing in the spec is for composer and artist, which uses "/" within the value as a separator. There's nothing for any other tag so each tagging application does its own thing). 2.4 also supports UTF8 encoding, while 2.3 only supports UTF16 but that's probably more of a programmer thing than a user thing. So the advantage of 2.4 tags is you can be sure that XBMC/Kodi can understand what is to be treated as a multiple value, without worrying about "AC/DC" showing up as two artists.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Could one of the Kodi devs chime in on this issue?
@ scott967: Thanks for clearing that up Smile
no news here Sad

how about open a new Bug Ticket..

im flooding last.fm with false artists Tongue
In the screen example of Picard the tag "Artists" is shows. Does Kodi use this tag at this moment ? Can somebody confirm this ?

I think not, so if this field can be processed as Library DB field, then count me in :-)
As far as I can tell it is not used.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi1