Bug Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi
(2015-03-21, 11:40)gibxxi Wrote: Another thing is, a lot of people who post on this forum (or who have posted in the past) about issues with library scanning / scraping in XBMC/Kodi are invariably pointed towards processing their music with MusicBrainz Picard. This has been offered as a solution by Devs, and users alike. Now your average Joe, isn't going to know / realise / care that MusicBrainz Picard adds non-standard tag info to his music. All he's concerned with, is the fact his music library isn't compatible with Kodi as it stands, and that the prevailing view of some is that tagging with MusicBrainz Picard (and/or) one of the derivative tagging applications that contain support for the MusicBrainz database will get him to his happy place.

He will spend large amounts of time processing his music collection manually with Picard, because that was the advice offered, and with the knowledge that Kodi now supports MusicBrainz in some form or other, will assume that once he has done so all will be right with the world. And he will be wrong.

You could blame the user for not reading the documentation about what support (in terms of MusicBrainz) exists in Kodi, you could blame the Devs for not integrating the full capabilities of MusicBrainz, neither will affect the end result.

The fact is that a limited subset of MusicBrainz features can and will lead to mass-confusion and an increase in threads like this one. I wouldn't stop with MusicBrainz either. There is a Discogs scanner. I don't know how well it works with the Discogs database because I don't tag my music against the Discogs site, but I would argue that out of the tagging database services available for free on the net, these two are the biggest, most popular (format-independant) standards in their own right. By the Dev's own admission, the Music library side of XBMC/Kodi isn't as fully featured as what exists for videos, and maybe complete MusicBrainz/Discogs support would go some way to addressing this.

However, as I mentioned above, if it's going to be done, IMHO, it needs to be done completely, or not at all. I now have 30,000 tracks that while completely correct as far as MusicBrainz is concerned, generate problems in Kodi I can't fix unless I revert manually every single one of those files. That and fresh library scans can take anywhere up to 12 hours. In lieu of a solution, I can put up with the issues, can you?

Again couldn't agree more.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi - by Rouzax - 2015-03-21, 19:56
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Duplicate music artists under one song for XBMC and Kodi1