Solved Struggle to get ir remote working on Asus H87i-Plus w/xbmcbuntu
I just picked up a new motherboard for xbmcbuntu and have been unable to get lirc or ir-keytable to recognize any events. After a few hours of googling I have found a few threads mentioning this exact board and that they were also unsuccessful. I am planning on returning it for a new mini-itx solution if no one has discovered a workaround.

What I have tried so far:

-Update BIOS to 2001 (6/4/14)
-Turn off WOL
-Turn off UEFI boot
-Plugged into usb2 NOT usb3 port

The Dongle is the proven hp MCE dongle and it displays red incoming light on remote presses, and I can confirm working with Windows7 xbmc setup with eventghost. It is also recognized with dmesg as rc0: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver and lusb as Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver

Thanks

EDIT: An update of the issue
-Upgraded the kernel to 3.15.1-031501-generic
-Tested lubuntu from a live-drive on 5 different machines in my house with ir-keytable installed, able to immediately generate events on all the computers but the Asus H87i-Plus.
-Tried fedora without success
-Somehow ir-keytable generates events in openelec.

EDIT2: Solution
Disable xhci in bios, resulting in a downgrade of usb3 ports
or
Patching kernel to allow mceusb to function correctly on usb3 ports (How-To)
Following the guide in this thread should get it working. Usually it doesn't work in Linux because Vendor/Product ID doesn't included in lirc config. So you must add it manually.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=136205
Thanks, but this is not a problem of getting the device recognized/initialized as dmesg recognized it immediately.
Code:
$ dmesg
[    5.530777] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[    5.530917] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/rc/rc0/input5
[    5.531006] rc0: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.0/rc/rc0
[    5.545653] IR NEC protocol handler initialized
[    5.555646] IR RC5(x) protocol handler initialized
[    5.560062] IR RC6 protocol handler initialized
[    5.569629] IR JVC protocol handler initialized
[    5.576739] IR Sony protocol handler initialized
[    5.584535] IR SANYO protocol handler initialized
[    5.722519] mceusb 3-2:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[    5.722525] mceusb 3-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)

The problem is that the device is not actually registering any events when testing using either irw or ir-keytable -t.
All remote / reciever usually got detected by kernel. But Lirc doesn't pick up device automatically it's only working with preconfigured device.So you have to config it with lirc as described to get it working with irw.
I will try it, but I have never had any problems in the past with this dongle (Microsoft branded XP MCE). I do plan on deleting LIRC anyway to use ir-keytable exclusively (many reasons), shouldn't it still show up when testing ir-keytable -t?
It should but then it should show up with irw as well. I only have one device that need manually config under Linux. All other remotes/recievers works out of the box.
Yup, and this dongle has always worked out of the box. However, I did manually enter the vendor/product-id and the problem is the same. This is why I am thinking that it's the motherboard since others have had this issue as well.

Thanks for the attempt
Well I just tried to test if openelec would work out of the box, and it does! Unfortunately this opens up the problem to anything but the motherboard...argh

Should xbmcbuntu also work if running live from the flash boot drive? It does not for me.
No. It shouldn't work because it's different. But that means you need to properly config XBMCBuntu for your remote. The hardware is fine but you probably need to investigate more. I'd suggest starting from reinstalling lirc and lirc-x package.

Latest XBMCBuntu has few minor problems. So I installed Lubuntu instead and config it to works like XBMCBuntu which is barebone Ubuntu + LXDE anyway. Maybe it has few problems with Lirc? I'm not sure about that.
Thanks, I might have to try ditching xbmcbuntu as well. I purged lirc and ir-keytable, unplugged the dongle and restarted. Then I installed only ir-keytable and restarted with the dongle plugged in. Still no events being recognized by the kernel. So frustrating.
Did you install the full lubuntu desktop or just the core (minimal ubuntu) and go from there?
I installed full lubuntu desktop since it's quite small anyway. The only software you probably won't need is LibreOffice suite. But other software is quite handy.Also it doesn't come with pulseaudio which is good thing for XBMC.

So I don't see much in start from ubuntu minimal if you need DE for other purpose (firefox , skype etc.) And then if you don't need DE you could easily go with OpenELEC.
So I just installed lubuntu to a spare flash drive and only installed ir-keytable then rebooted...it doesn't work when running ir-keytable -t. Dongle recognized and everything.

How does the remote work in openelecHuh I feel like I'm overlooking something really obvious here.
I installed lirc , lirc-x in Lubuntu and it works like it should. Should give it a go, I guess.
Maybe it's something obvious like you probably need to reconfigure lirc (dpkg-reconfigure lirc) ? What is your /etc/lirc/hardware.conf ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Struggle to get ir remote working on Asus H87i-Plus w/xbmcbuntu0