• 1(current)
Milkdrop Visualization for XBMC?
Star 
i don't know if anyone has checked out the winamp plug-in callled milkdrop. but its is by far the best i've seen. if someone could some how port that to xbmc that would be simply amazing and would blow all the other visualizations away.
it's not open source, so unless you can persuade the author to do it, it's not going to happen. we don't, and aren't going to, support binary winamp visualisations.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

sadly the author 'ryan geiss' isnt very responsive via emails. could be because he works for nullsoft and he can't opensource it.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

awwww darn. and its such a jaw dropping visualization i have never seen anything like it. ohh well maybe ill try emailing him some time.
i know... milkdrop is not only the far best looking visual - it also is the one that requires least of our hardware!

i'm sure the xbox could run it @ 60fps easy.

to bad this doesn't seem to happen though.. Sad
what makes you think it needs the least hardware? a spectrum analyser is likely way cheaper than milkdrop.

Smile 
i'm sure a lot of us, in using winamp, have grown to like seeing milkdrop in there. :kickass:
i would love to see this in xbmc.
however, i know you guys are currently in a feature freeze, so maybe this could wait until you're done with the bug bashing.

:idea: : there is a sourceforge project out there, called projectm, which is trying to get milkdrop presets viewed in xmms and cross-platforms. it's not nearly as accurate as milkdrop, and utilizes opengl instead of dx, but it's opensource.

:bowdown: please think about implementing this. :bowdown:
i'd try it, but i'm nowhere near that level of coding yet, and still a little new to the whole xbox-mod scene (about 3 weeks since i soft modded it.)
hmm this has been adressed some times already (see here).

the main problem i see here is that it is opengl and there is only dx support on the xbox.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
good to see the mods are doing a good job of keeping the forums clean. ^_^  :thumbsup:

while projectm does use opengl, milkdrop originally used dx, so projectm can probably be converted back to use the dx hardware. maybe we just need to get an early version of projectm to get a foot in the door. (projectm from what i've read was reverse-engineered from milkdrop.)

edit: here's the link to projectm on sourceforge, now get to work! :thumbsup:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmms-projectm/
:o omg please project m to xbmc! i have been wanting to see milkdrop on xbmc but lack of open source, projectm yay! someone do it up with some 1337 skillz>>>
(hullebulle @ sep. 23 2004,01:48 Wrote:hmm this has been adressed some times already (see here).
the link seems to be dead.
got another, or just want to explain it again?

:bump:
now that the bug bash is over, shall we think about implementing this? i'd do it myself, but i don't have much knowlege about converting opengl to directx. i don't think it'd be that difficult though.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:bump:
assuming you are a competent programmer (you did say you thought that doing an opengl->directx conversion wouldn't be difficult) perhaps you could instead look into helping with whitecap?

check out this link for some code that's been done already on this (ie it's at least partly working already)

https://sourceforge.net/tracker....=581840

cheers,
jonathan

hmm. it looks interesting, but not real appealing to my eye.
what problem has this been having?

or would this be a learning tool for me?
i brought up the question a while back about porting milkdrop to xbmc and the problem was it was copyrighted and closed source. but i came across an opensource project called projectm. here is a description:
"projectm is basically a reimplementation of milkdrop under linux/sdl/opengl/xmms. projectm already does some things milkdrop does not (like infinite custom shapes/waves). projectm uses no platform-specific code outside of the xmms interface."

:kickass:
well i hope someone checks it out at:
projectm
would milkdrop run smoothly under xbmc? is this possible?
i think it would be pretty tight.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Milkdrop Visualization for XBMC?0