TV volume vs Openelec volume
Hi,

I was just wondering how other people get round the problem of having two separate volume controls - one on the TV and one on the XBMC device itself.

For example, I have a Raspberry Pi and I am forever messing round with the two competing volume levels.

Is there an ideal way to deal with this and have just one master level?

Ideally, it would be good to by-pass the TV's levelling altogether and just have the Pi control it all.
I set my TV's volume to the max I would ever want to go, then I just control it through XBMC since the XBMC volume indicator is less intrusive than my TV's volume indicator.
I see,

So you wack the XBMC volume to the max possible, then crank the TV up as far as you would ever need and just not touch the TV volume anymore?
(2014-06-24, 16:41)Ned Scott Wrote: I set my TV's volume to the max I would ever want to go, then I just control it through XBMC since the XBMC volume indicator is less intrusive than my TV's volume indicator.

That doesn't sound ideal to me. If you use passthrough then you will get max volume from xbmc and you can't lower it.

I'd suggest leaving xbmc on full volume and always adjusting volume through TV/receiver.

With CEC is just works as I want on Pi.
TV remote controls xbmc through magic of CEC.
TV remote volume controls receiver through magic of CEC.
I don't need a second remote.
I never use passthrough :)

I'm either using the TV speakers or I'm using external analog speakers.

Even in a multichannel setup, I'd rather have volume control via XBMC. I can then control the volume through any XBMC control interface, including smartphone and web UIs, have AirPlay control volume, less chance of having audio sync issues, and the less intrusive volume indicator on screen (which is horrible on my TV if you watch a lot of video with subtitles). Occasionally I like to take advantage of XBMC's poor-man's-audio-compressor, which does a pretty good job most of the time for situations like night viewing or when you have a live TV source that has crazy volume levels between programs and commercials. The quality of sound that I get is fantastic without passthrough, and if I need any better then I would need better audio equipment (and maybe better ears).
So the usual key is to set one or the other to a "comfortable maximum" - but wit XBMC "out of the box", you need to be aware that different sources may have the audio mastered at different dB base levels. Some will be louder than other, and vica verca. The "poor-man's-audio-compressor" route is not a bad way to go, if you don't mind the resulting sound.

Passthrough is also worth keeping in mind. If you do use passthrough, XBMC volume control is out the door - its full blast in that end. If you do software decode/transcode, to always output (L)PCM - this will draw more resources. Might not matter much on a good rig, but it could weigh heavier on a Pi, low-level NUC etc.

In case you use an AVR:
If your AVR is multichannel HDMI LPCM capable - bitstreaming HD audio or decoding to LPCM, it really shouldn't matter as long as the decoder does its job properly and the hardware can keep up. BUT! as pointed out, if you do choose software audio decoding - you can do XBMC volume control of all (decoded) audio streams. While LPCM is an uncompressed signal, its still transferred to your AVR as a digital signal over HDMI - 1s are 1s, 0s are 0s. It doesn't "go analog" until your AVR does its job. (Basically, no "audio detoriation" should be present, as long as software, hardware and connectivity is in order.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Thanks for all that.

Just to confirm - in my position, I am indeed running a Pi, connected directly to a TV.

Is there a way, therefore, that I can have the Pi ouput its maximum volume at all times and just control it with the TV volume instead (i.e. taking away XBMC's volume control)? Is this what the passthrough option does?

I think that this would be the best option for me as I also have a Chromecast - if I switch between this and the Pi, the volume can therefore be the same.

(2014-06-25, 05:02)pr0xZen Wrote: Passthrough is also worth keeping in mind. If you do use passthrough, XBMC volume control is out the door - its full blast in that end. If you do software decode/transcode, to always output (L)PCM - this will draw more resources. Might not matter much on a good rig, but it could weigh heavier on a Pi, low-level NUC etc.

Sorry, pr0xZen, but could you just clarify what that might mean for me please? Bit of a novice when it comes to that stuff.

I was hoping to do what popcornmix suggested and use CEC but I seem to have bought the only TV that does not support it - Toshiba Regza R365D. I thought all modern sets would support this but it appears not so.
@elsmandino - yes this is possible, just press + or volume up on your remote and set XBMC volume to 100%. Then, never touch it anymore.

This is not the same as passthrough, which requires a AV-Receiver or TV which can decode HD for instance, Passthrough will not touch the audio but pass it through untouched to another device for decoding. This is lighter on resources but if your hardware has no support you get either no sound or staggering video playback (because XBMC is trying to sync audio and video).
One of the side effects of using passthrough is that there is no volume control within XBMC. (which is similar to volume being set to 100%)
(2014-06-25, 14:32)elsmandino Wrote: I was hoping to do what popcornmix suggested and use CEC but I seem to have bought the only TV that does not support it - Toshiba Regza R365D. I thought all modern sets would support this but it appears not so.

Are you sure that is the correct model number? Google has 0 hits on that.

CEC on Toshiba is called regza-link. Check the manual or menus for a reference to that.
http://www.toshiba.co.uk/blog/tv/what-regza-link
Sorry - is actually a 32rv635d.

I did have a look at the manual last night and could not find anyting on CEC or Regza-Link.

It is strange that such a modern (and not cheap at the time) TV does not have it isn't it?
(2014-06-25, 16:23)elsmandino Wrote: Sorry - is actually a 32rv635d.

I did have a look at the manual last night and could not find anyting on CEC or Regza-Link.

It is strange that such a modern (and not cheap at the time) TV does not have it isn't it?

I've checked the manual and it looks like no CEC support.
The TV is about 5 years old. CEC was standard long before then, but not as widely supported as it is now.
Thanks for double checking that popcornmix - much appreciated.

Shall whack up the volume on my Pi and shall do all changes with my TV remote from now on.

Thanks everyone - been a great help.
(2014-06-25, 14:32)elsmandino Wrote:
(2014-06-25, 05:02)pr0xZen Wrote: Passthrough is also worth keeping in mind. If you do use passthrough, XBMC volume control is out the door - its full blast in that end. If you do software decode/transcode, to always output (L)PCM - this will draw more resources. Might not matter much on a good rig, but it could weigh heavier on a Pi, low-level NUC etc.
Sorry, pr0xZen, but could you just clarify what that might mean for me please? Bit of a novice when it comes to that stuff.
Sure, which part was the confusing bit? I guess Kib might have clarified some of this a bit already. I'll give you a dissertation - it might be a bit of a read, but I've written it so that it should be simple to understand, and will hopefully enhance your understanding of how audio handling and connectivity works. In short; This knowledge will very much come in handy, and knowing how these things work - will make you capable of resolving many issues on your own.

There are 4 main ways to transfer audio from the "playback unit" (Computer, DVD/Blu-Ray player, Cable box, XBOX/PS3(/4) etc etc) - on to the next unit in chain - typically either an AV receiver, a pre-amp, stand-alone DAC or your TV. In case of any confusion - by "unit in chain", I mean (as an example): Computer -> AV receiver -> TV. This is a 3-point chain. I use this term because other users reading this, might have a setup consisting of more or fewer units.
  • Passthrough
  • (L)PCM
  • Transcoding
  • Analog

(For the "pros"; yes, there are more to it than this, but thats not relevant here)

Passthrough
AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD (DTS:MA) etc - these are all encoded and to a varying degree, compressed audio streams (commonly called an audio bitstream). They need to be decoded either by XMBC/other software, an AV receiver, your TV etc. The way "passthrough" work, is that the playback unit (in your case, the Pi running XBMC) takes that audio bitstream from the media source, and passes it on to the next unit (AVR, TV etc) untouched. This way, the "the next" unit in chain (need to) do the decoding of the audio bitstream. Unless for some reason the next unit also is also configured to "passthrough", then that unit will pass it along to the next one in chain, and so on.

As an effect of passing on this audio bitstream undecoded and untouched, XBMC (the playback unit) cannot modify or alter this audio in any way. This includes volume adjustment. To simplify it a bit; When a unit is performing audio bitstream passthrough - it doesn't see any "audio" or "sound", it just blindly passes on that data stream on to the next unit. It doesn't become "sound" / "audio", until this data stream is decoded. Volume needs to be adjusted either at the unit that does the actual decoding of the bitstream, or/and any unit "next in the chain" that does the actual sound output, audio post processing etc (in case you have a very high-end or complex AV setup).

In some instances and configurations, it seems to possible to adjust the volume level of an S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) output, on an OS level. This will depend on capabilities and limitations of settings, drivers and operating system - and if it works, it means adjusting "System" volume - which cannot be done within XBMC.

(L)PCM
Transferring audio from one unit to another through Pulse-Code Modulation or Linear Pulse-Code Modulation, is basically trasferring a digital representation / "version" of either an original uncompressed and unencoded audio signal - or an audio signal that has already been decoded from AC3, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD / DTS:MA etc, to (L)PCM. The "original" audio should ideally be "perfect" still, as decoding is not a "variable" process; Either it comes out as it "went in", or decoding fails completely.

You can, however, adjust the volume. This alters the audio signal, but should not pose any real audio quality impact.

An (L)PCM audio stream does not need the "next unit in chain" to be capable of decoding any particular "audio format" (although it does have to be able to handle (L)PCM audio - which pretty much all units today except purely analog amplifiers, are). To go this route when doing playback of an encoded audio format - either the software on the playback unit (XBMC), or the units hardware, has to perform the decoding of the audio stream from its original format, "down" to (L)PCM - and then pass the (L)PCM signal on to the next unit in chain. The next unit will then convert this uncompressed and unencoded audio signal to analog audio and amplify the sound for output to speakers. (Or, pass it on to the next unit - depending on your setup).

If your playback unit (Pi, computer, Android stick etc) does not have any dedicated hardware specifically capable of / designed to decode those encoded audio bitstream formats - then you'll have to rely on software to do the decoding from [XX] encoded format, to (L)PCM. As the software is likely to "run" as any other software process, it will utilise your "main processor core(s)" to do so. Many of todays low-budget units used as media units, have fairly weak "main" processors. They still work well for media playback, as the most common "big main load" is video decoding, and modern units have (separate) internal hardware specifically designed to perform this task. Decoding AC3 or DTS isn't particulary resource demanding, but the HD audio formats take MUCH more resources to decode by means of software. While XBMC itself can decode most audio formats (not sure DTS-HD/DTS:MA is supported yet - licencing and all that), this doesn't automatically mean that your hardware can keep up. If it it can't - both video and audio playback will be lagging, skipping and so on.

Transcoding
Transcoding is a little bit like a "mix" of both cases above. It utilizes XBMC (software) - or dedicated hardware (very little hardware have dedicated transcoding support, but there probably is some hardware out there that does this), to decode the original encoded audio format, then encode it again, to a different - compressed and encoded audio format (or if capable, transcode directly in a 1-step process).

Some might wonder "why would you waste resources on that?". Well, lets say you have an older AV receiver, that doesn't have HDMI connectivity. This means you'll have to rely on optical or coaxial S/PDIF connections, for digital audio connectivity. Another case is your source audio is DTS, but your AV receiver/TV etc, can only handle AC3. Not everyone knows it, but HDMI has an extremely high bandwith. Even with HDMI 1.0 the theoretical maximum was almost 5 Gbit/s - and HDMI 1.4; ~10 Gbit/s. Within specification standards, audio bandwith for HDMI is 36.86 Mbit/s. For the much older S/PDIF, the story is different. Its a more complex thing to explain, but lets just say the theoretical maximum is closer to 15 Mb/s - and within standard specifications, audio max bitrate is much lower than that.

This means, S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) has too small a bandwith to transport either "multi-channel" (2.1 or more) PCM audio, or the encoded HD audio formats. Decoding a HD-audio format to (L)PCM is one thing, but the S/PDIF connection's low bandwith limits it to a maximum of 2 channel PCM. The only way to get 2.1/5.1 and the likes, across S/PDIF, is by means of AC3 or DTS formats. These 2 formats have a low enough bitrate to get through, due to their compression. So if your source material only has (for instance) a Dolby TrueHD audio track, and you want 5.1 surround sound out (through an S/PDIF connection) - you have to transcode the audio from TrueHD format, to AC3 format (Or DTS, if your system can actually encode DTS).

To do this, your AV receiver / TV etc (next in chain) needs to actually capable of decoding AC3 and/or DTS - and the source/playback unit needs to support "bitstream passthrough". This is due to the fact that - while you have already decoded the original audio format - you have also re-encoded that output, into a new, differently encoded audio bitstream.

Transcoding means you have to encode and compress the signal (again). At this point, audio quality WILL be affected. How much, depends on the quality of the encoder, and the processor resources available. It is usually possible to adjust the quality settings of transcoding and resampling, which in turn will affect how much resources are needed to perform the task. The last bit is very important here, as trancoding is usually done "on the fly" - which means the playback unit needs to perform this task as fast as possible, for the audio to stay in sync with the video.

The good news here is that since you, in the process of transcoding, have to decode the original audio format - then you can alter the volume before encoding the signal into the target format. Note: In a "1-step transcode process", this might not be an option. Also - to my knowledge, at the time of this post - XBMC will not do transcoding of AC3 -> AC3. (Passthrough setting takes precedence over resampling settings). Hopefully there will be a "fix" / option for this, in the near future.

Analog
Analog output means that the hardware of your playback unit decodes the audio bitstream to (L)PCM, and then converts that digital signal to analog audio - before outputting it through (mini)jack, RCA or XLR connection(s) to your AV receiver / Amplifier / TV etc. This requires resources (CPU load or dedicated hardware) to do the decoding to (L)PCM. And it WILL impact audio quality. How much so, depends on the quality of the Digital -> Analog coverters (DAC) in your unit.

As this means the playback unit does "everything" except amplify the signal for speaker output, you can have full control of volume.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV volume vs Openelec volume0