Music library organization
Hey everyone!

I have been using xbmc for about 6 months now and love it as a TV/movie/gaming box. Everything has went very smoothly, except for my music library. It's a problem I've swept under the rug and have now finally decided to fix it. Basically all of my music is in one big folder, with no tags that I am aware of and mostly mislabeled. When I add them to xbmc it is basically unusable. How do I get start with getting my songs in order without going one by one?

Also, when I add my music to iTunes it's perfectly organized, why is that compared to xbmc?

Finally, I know there are a few tutorials about this but they have some what of organization already, where as mine is at rock bottom.
Short and painless?

You have to tag your music files properly and label them!

Hard work, if you have many files. If you ask yourself the question, how XBMC is able to recognize a file correctly which is not labeled and not tagged properly, you will see, that it is impossible Wink

I don´t add single files to my xbmc. Only complete albums/sampler. Start with tagging some files, copy them into a different folder, add this as a source, let XBMC scrape it and you will see which tag makes sense and which not.

I use "foobar" for tagging MP3s. Works perfect, has the tag-options I need and it is for free Wink

Take a look at it

Greetings
Thanks for the reply! I'm downloading foobar now and preparing to push back my plans.

I am still curious of how iTunes handles it's music compared to xbmc. Do you have any idea?
Don´t know if I understand correct...Wink

IIRC ITunes scans the first seconds of a track and compares it to their own database. So with ITunes you aren´t in need of labeling or tagging your files. But I´m not sure, beause I never used ITunes.

A friend of mine told me, there is a charged option in ITunes, as you can pay a fee and scan those files and add them to your ITunes database. I believe it costs ~25$/year. So if you have a lot of files you can spent a thought doing ITunes the work for 25$ Wink, because ITunes will label and tag those files at scanning.
Very good to know, thanks a lot David!
(2014-06-30, 15:21)David1977 Wrote: A friend of mine told me, there is a charged option in ITunes, as you can pay a fee and scan those files and add them to your ITunes database. I believe it costs ~25$/year. So if you have a lot of files you can spent a thought doing ITunes the work for 25$ Wink, because ITunes will label and tag those files at scanning.

That's just for accessing those songs from the internet. What one would have to do is pay for the service, delete the current copies, and then tell iTunes to re-download them locally, then cancel the service.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music library organization0