ADT-1 for XBMC
I got an ADT-1 from the session at Google I/O this past week and am an XBMC enthusiast. Currently running raspbmc on a raspberry pi at home for my collection and can't wait to tinker with the ADT-1.

Was looking to provide anyone with device information for Android's new direction in TV. They also specified in the session that this is fully unlockable / flashable. I was going to sideload XBMC later this evening and see how it goes. Lemme know if there's anything specific anyone would like me to try.

Session video
ADT-1 Introduction
Request an ADT-1 Dev Kit from Google
ADT-1 Developer Docs -- Currently not up yet

Current Hardware
  • Tegra 4 CPU (ARM)
  • 2 GB of Ram | 16gb Flash
  • 2x2 MIMO Dual-Channel WiFi (2.4/5Ghz)
  • Bluetooth 4.0
  • Ethernet Port
  • HDMI Port
  • Running Android L Developer Preview
  • Fully Unlocked (comes with Debug Cable)

Image I took of mine at the conference:
Do you have a hdhomerun device to try the live TV feature?
I do have another live device, just not specifically the hdhomerun one. Not sure if I still have the software all setup though.
Hello, the main improvement this could offer over a kit kat android device like the amazon fire tv would be proper 24fps output and high def audio format passthrough. Also, VC-1 encoded files.
Was looking to see how I would get XBMC on the main homescreen in Apps and figured out a way. Before it would not recognize the app by default due to the intents it had in its manifest.

Had to decompile the XBMC arm apk and recompile, zip align, and re-sign with the new AndroidManifest.xml and now XBMC shows up on the main screen Big Grin

The intent filter it needed:

<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LEANBACK_LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
I think it's a silicondust app

http://www.silicondust.com/company/news/

Looks like it was easy to get XBMC on the box. How is the XBMC experience in general (compared to other devices that you may have used)?
(2014-07-01, 19:28)BigB42078 Wrote: I think it's a silicondust app

thanks for pointing that out, had no idea.
How is audio output? Is it able to play all file formats that your rPi plays?

Can we attach a powered external HDD to it? I have a powered 3TB Seagate expansion attached to my Pi that has all of my movies.

Will the transmission plugin for XBMC work on this? Or do we use some other app for torrents?
(2014-07-01, 19:37)underworld123 Wrote: Looks like it was easy to get XBMC on the box. How is the XBMC experience in general (compared to other devices that you may have used)?

XBMC experience is great, Yatse connects appropriately through android over Wifi/LAN and I can stream UpNp to the device. In terms of performance in the GUI and stuff its been working tremendously in comparison to the raspberry pi. Scanning for video content and doing things that require a bit more CPU are much more snappier.

(2014-07-02, 09:09)suku_patel_22 Wrote: How is audio output? Is it able to play all file formats that your rPi plays?

Can we attach a powered external HDD to it? I have a powered 3TB Seagate expansion attached to my Pi that has all of my movies.

Will the transmission plugin for XBMC work on this? Or do we use some other app for torrents?

So far I haven't encountered anything that it explicitly couldn't play. However I do get a bit of stutter when playing back a random SD entourage episode that I have. Audio output itself seems to be passing through HDMI appropriately. Unfortunately I have HDMI going to the TV and out an optical port so I can only test up to 5.1 under I think Dolby Digital. I have one or two episode I'll have to test that with.

HDD I'll have to get back about and the transmission plugin, I'm not sure.
@kento
Can you playback VC-1 HD content? Is there an app for Amazon video?
(2014-07-01, 23:02)hmagoo Wrote:
(2014-07-01, 19:28)BigB42078 Wrote: I think it's a silicondust app

thanks for pointing that out, had no idea.

Video of the live TV function at I/O 4:52:30

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdt1eATwY8

Curious why they are using, what looks like a Logitech gaming controller to navigate.
stupid question -- how do I install XBMC, or anything else on this? I can't get ADB to connect to it, at least over WiFi. I've enabled "install from other source" do I need to go hardwaired with the dev USB cable?
Is there any way to use a standard remote on it. I don't mind using my phone for chromecast, at $35 it's not a big deal. But at $100 plus, I don't want to have to rely on my phone and tablet having enough charge to control it. Especially when I'd most likely be using it more.
(2014-07-04, 19:47)BigB42078 Wrote: Is there any way to use a standard remote on it. I don't mind using my phone for chromecast, at $35 it's not a big deal. But at $100 plus, I don't want to have to rely on my phone and tablet having enough charge to control it. Especially when I'd most likely be using it more.

there's no remote for the dev kit, and it doesn't seem ot have IR or anything. That said, I'd expect any consumer version will ship with a traditional physical remote. It's built for it, this just isn't one of those. This device will never go on sale, at least not packaged like this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ADT-1 for XBMC2