• 1(current)
[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS8 if you want AirPlay
Edit by Memphiz: This is the current offical developer statement:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1799033

Hi guys,
I just want to inform you that it looks like that Apple changed some stuff with AirPlay again in the upcoming releases of iOS 8 and Mac OS X Yosemite. So if you use this service frequently, you shouldn't update to iOS 8 or Yosemite yet (unless you're a developer, there is no reason why you should).

To the devs: If necessary I can run Wireshark while connecting my iOS 8 devices or my Yosemite Mac to a working AirPlay receiver, for example Apple TV or a Bose receiver.
I know that the upcoming releases are still in Beta or even in Developer Preview state and that there is still a lot of stuff that can change. It's just an offer.
Kodi 15 on:
Kodibuntu with Ubuntu 14.04 (self compiled), Mac OS X El Capitan, iPhone 6, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Nexus 4.
wireshark won't help - its all encrypted...

could you elaborate a bit on "not working" - also i think its just the ios8 client which would be interesting for us (xbmc) as yosemite itself shouldn't influence us in that case...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Well, I just does not show up in the list of AirPlay receivers. Maybe they just removed support for video receivers who don't have support for display mirroring, I'll install Apple TV OS 4.3 now to check that.

EDIT: Seems possible. I can't stream to my Apple TV 2 with the 4.3 firmware (last version without AirPlay mirroring).
Kodi 15 on:
Kodibuntu with Ubuntu 14.04 (self compiled), Mac OS X El Capitan, iPhone 6, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Nexus 4.
Looks like there is something else. My MacBook shows the Apple TV but I can't stream to it ("Please update Apple TV") but I don't see XBMC.

EDIT: I can stream Android phone with AirPlay enabled in XBMC (sound only).
Kodi 15 on:
I have three JB Apple TV's running 5.3 untethered with XBMC being the key motivator of course. Any devices I update to iOS8 no longer detect the Apple TV's as AirPlay receivers for either audio or video or mirroring..

UPDATE- at least they didn't initially. Now after a few hours for some reason one iPhone on IOS8 can finally detect them and the iPad Mini worked the next day.
On my iPhone 5 with iOS8 I can select my HTPC running Helix alpha but only audio plays, there is no video. I tried from the youtube app and from the native photos app.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
I've IOS8 on an iPhone 5 as well. My Xbmc (Gotham) runs on ubuntu. I can AirPlay audio but video doesn't work. Photos do work however. Even though audio does work, it stops playing after about 30 seconds. I had the same problems on ios8
Time to say goodbye to Airplay.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-09-20, 16:49)fritsch Wrote: Time to say goodbye to Airplay.

I agree, it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. I bet something else will come along to replace it some day.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott

Really ? No hope to have Airplay with XBMC on iOS 8 in the future ?
(2014-09-20, 20:07)frarev Wrote:

Really ? No hope to have Airplay with XBMC on iOS 8 in the future ?

If someone wants to try and work on it then I'm sure a lot of people would welcome that, but no one has stepped up to the plate yet.
If apple's encryption won't get "hacked" - there is not really a chance to use it again. Also I am not sure that libshairplay or xbmc or any other library won't get sued when shipping a version that workarounds apple's protection ...

same shit as always - some proprietary vendor only wants his hardware / software combination working and this results in whining apple users with their 600 dollar iphones that are only useful for utter crap now and fanboys telling to use "only apple software" instead.

Q: "Why would you do airplay with xbmc - itunes is much better".
A: "Obviously right. I like to live in a jail, especially if it has white curtains and you get an apple a week".
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
NedScott Wrote:Heh, no reason for the insulting Apple hate rant. One of the things I've always liked about the XBMC forums is the surprising lack of OS-wars bullshit, and it would be nice if that continued.

Not sure where there is a rant. If apple decides to lock down their airplay protocol with closed encryption and legally goes after people that workaround / crack it - this is the end of airplay in non apple space and we can take it with sarcasm or stand there whining. I chose the first method. After all the trouble that I have seen over the last 2 years that arrised with every new ios version and all the time that was invested to workaround / get it going somehow - now being shot dead by apple (only of profiti reasons) should be taken sarcastic, shouldn't it?
(2014-09-21, 08:13)fritsch Wrote: If apple's encryption won't get "hacked" - there is not really a chance to use it again. Also I am not sure that libshairplay or xbmc or any other library won't get sued when shipping a version that workarounds apple's protection ...

same shit as always - some proprietary vendor only wants his hardware / software combination working and this results in whining apple users with their 600 dollar iphones that are only useful for utter crap now and fanboys telling to use "only apple software" instead.

Q: "Why would you do airplay with xbmc - itunes is much better".
A: "Obviously right. I like to live in a jail, especially if it has white curtains and you get an apple a week".

You're right. I'm an apple user and I find this fully silly from apple.

Is Apple sell some kind of license to put airplay in systems?

Can we imagine like an extra not-free extension of xbmc to have AirPlay ?

For instance raspberry pi has mpeg2 license that you can buy as an extra.
Apple doesn't license AirPlay to open source groups, because then anyone could see how to use AirPlay without paying for a license. So far Apple has only licensed audio AirPlay, but has not licensed the video parts of AirPlay to anyone.

It's very doubtful that Apple would sue people for cracking their encryption. Apple's smart enough to know when the genie is let out of the bottle, and they haven't sued anyone for AirPlay audio (AirTunes) being cracked a few years back. Nor have they sued anyone regarding AirPlay mirroring encryption being cracked (however, no open source AirPlay mirroring method currently exists).

That being said, there are less and less people willing to take the time to crack these things and reverse engineer them, as Apple changes them often. That is the real hold up. It's just not really worth the time and effort.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS8 if you want AirPlay1