Proper Tagging Musicbrainz
What are the proper tagging setup I should use when cleaning up my library? Currently when in library mode the albums are spread across multiple artists is that how should be or should each album be grouped together? I would like it grouped but not sure which setting or tag need to fix.

I am using musicbrainz for tagging. Thanks
HTPC Basement: i3 3225, Asrock z77 pro4m, 8gb Crucial DDR3 1600, Samsung 840 120gb SSD, Silverstone GD05B Case

HTPC Livingroom: WIP

Server: UnRaid: Intel G550, Asrock B75 pro3m, 4gb ram, Parity Drive 3tb WD Red, Data 2 x 2tb WD Red, Cache 1tb WD Blue, Fractal Design XL R2 Case
I would say the most important tags are ALBUM and ALBUM ARTIST. These drive the scrapers. Then TITLE, ARTIST, GENRE, YEAR, and TRACK NO.

XBMC supports multiple ALBUM ARTIST, ARTIST, GENRE tag entries, but getting this to work right depends on the specific tag format your files are using (ID3 tags in MP3 files are a particular problem).

There is a special entry for ALBUM ARTIST of "Various Artists".

It is possible to add tags for the MusicBrainz Artist Id and Album Id. These will allow the scrapers to avoid trying to do a match by name when looking up the artist and album (Note that AFAIK, you need the MB "release" ID for the album, not the "release group" ID.)

If these tags are right, you should be able to use the various music library views supported by XBMC, as well as smart playlists.

In addition, for purposes of "local art" (i.e., art files on your system) placing all music files from a single album in a single file system folder allows the art file "folder.jpg" to be associated with the album (AKA thumb), and if the file system folder for the album is set as the "child" folder for a second folder (intended as Album Artist), then the art files "folder.jpg" and "fanart.jpg" will be associated with the (first if multiple) Album Artist (thumb and fanart respectively). An advantage of having the local art is that it makes looking at your music in file view better, even if your prefer online art that the scraper found for use in the library views.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper Tagging Musicbrainz0