• 7(current)
Req GUI: improved image scaling algorithm
Hello,
Still no improvement track? Managing the pockets in higher definition would be top!
If i understand correctly, this approach could be rekindled and expanded to being used also for posters:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8409
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
Is this active now in a way that would improve the pixelation I find on small-scaled images? If so, what do I have to do for it to apply such fix?
@firewater
On what platform do you use KODI?
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
@axbmcuser
On macOS and Android.
@firewater

Hmm. To anwer your question:
There has been no official progress afaik.

I implemented global mipmapping with 2 separate sharpening values for my private LibreELEC builds for a year now. (LOD bias sharpening is absolutely necessary when using global mipmapping - if you don't use it everything just gets a blurry mess)
Did intensive testing with it for some time now. Happy to share. (Values can be changed via advancedsettings.xml, global mipmapping is purely option and has to be enabled via advancedsettings.xml)

Things to know:

- Global mipmapping with LOD bias sharpening is a great and practical way to improve the pixelation. It's not as perfect like if the gui would scale with lanczos or a similar algorithm on the fly, but it's very very good and comparable to how "good/normal" the images would look on many other GUI of market leader media and gaming products)
I just went back to disabling the solution while testing and was a little bit shocked because i almost had forgotton how bad it normally looks if KODI downscales 1080px-height-posters to small sizes.

- The mentioned solution only works for OpenGL platforms for now since these are the platforms which have the "LOD bias sharpening support" implemented.
MacOS KODI uses OpenGL afaik. Not sure about Android though. Android devices only support GLES, not GL, right? (missing lod bias support)
Windows is not supported yet because of the missing LOD bias implementation for DirectX. Should be possible, but i'm unable to do it because this is not my area.

Are you able to compile KODI for Mac OS ?
@firewater 

Just compiled a Mac OS KODI Leia build overnight with the custom global mipmapping - never used KODI on Mac OS before, but results are - as expected - great.

If you want to try it, i can upload it.
@docwra 
@firewater 
@all
if you want to try it, download from here:

EDIT:
Old link removed, new thread see here:
New thread + Testbuilds for multiple platforms (LibreELEC / Linux, Windows, Mac OS) here:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=348790

LibreELEC/Linux KODI 18.4 nightly (04d7009 2019-08-21)
MacOS KODI 18.4 nightly (04d7009 2019-08-21)

- Custom global mipmapping already enabled for testing (using 2 different sharpening values for picture slideshow and everything else)

Follow this steps:
- Install KODI from above link
- Open your KODI userdata/advancedsettings.xml file and edit it to
xml:
<imageres>1080</imageres>
<imagescalingalgorithm>lanczos</imagescalingalgorithm>
- Reboot (LibreELEC) or exit KODI (Mac OS)
- Delete your KODI userdata/Thumbnails folder
- Reboot (LibreELEC) or exit KODI (Mac OS)
- Run KODI and let KODI re-cache your movie posters/artwork in 1080-lanczos-resize quality
- Try out skins with smaller poster wall views or look at any image which has larger decimation factors while downscaling

Feedback welcome.
@axbmcuser

Ah, that's great! Thank you so much! I actually was gonna answer that I'm not familiar with compiling, and that being that I'm going through a DB change and that my own personal skin works on 18 RC4 and not further versions for some reason, I can't test this quite now, but I'll have it in mind as the priority upgrade to my setup. I am testing on a 1080p display too, yes. Thanks again for the instructions and everything, hopefully someone else can test it out before I get to it.
Only have windows and android here to test, is this not a solution for all platforms then?

What needs to be done to make it universal? as it sounds like a massive improvement.
@axbmcuser will you be submitting this a pull request for any other OS platforms too?  ...I primarily use Android TV these days and yes that uses OpenGL ES (GLES). I believe that newer Raspberry Pi models support both OpenGL and OpenGL ES.
Can't do much about Android/GLES, but there is progress:

After successful everyday-use tests with the above MacOS and Linux/LibreELEC builds, i'm just testing a new build for Windows which now includes global mipmapping with a negative LOD bias.
Results on Windows are exactly as good as on the other platforms. Can supply a test build if interested as soon as timely possible.
New thread + Testbuilds for multiple platforms (LibreELEC / Linux, Windows, Mac OS) here:

(2019-10-28, 21:53)axbmcuser Wrote: New thread + Testbuilds for multiple platforms (LibreELEC / Linux, Windows, Mac OS) here:

Will these changes eventually make their way to a future Kodi release v18.5 or ? Or is this purely experimental at this stage?
Star 
It's not really experimental.

Codewise the changes are quite clean, unintrusive and would be easy to integrate as the optional solution it intends to be.
Everyone with lower-midrange hardware or higher could finally benefit from a imho overdue all around better looking GUI with hq 1080px-height-artwork (or higher) while keeping the old default behaviour for all the lower-end hardware Kodi supports.
(In a PR the artwork+fanart resolution would of cource not be fixed to a minimum of 1080px height. This is only to ensure that testing with the test builds is done the right way - based on high quality cached artwork/material.)

I did intensive testing on multiple projectors and LCD screens with native 1080p and 2160p resolution and only got great feedback from everyone i handed the builds in the last 8 months or so.

In the end it's not up to me to decide what gets merged.
I'm happy to create a PR as soon as i find the time to write the according descriptive text etc. if interested.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUI: improved image scaling algorithm2