• 8(current)
Req GUI: improved image scaling algorithm
(2019-10-29, 22:10)axbmcuser Wrote: It's not really experimental.

Codewise the changes are quite clean, unintrusive and would be easy to integrate as the optional solution it intends to be.
Everyone with lower-midrange hardware or higher could finally benefit from a imho overdue all around better looking GUI with hq 1080px-height-artwork (or higher) while keeping the old default behaviour for all the lower-end hardware Kodi supports.
(In a PR the artwork+fanart resolution would of cource not be fixed to a minimum of 1080px height. This is only to ensure that testing with the test builds is done the right way - based on high quality cached artwork/material.)

I did intensive testing on multiple projectors and LCD screens with native 1080p and 2160p resolution and only got great feedback from everyone i handed the builds in the last 8 months or so.

In the end it's not up to me to decide what gets merged.
I'm happy to create a PR as soon as i find the time to write the according descriptive text etc. if interested.

Yes this would be a great addition I think. I recently switched to a 4K screen connected to OSMC Vero 4K+ and started obtaining high-res artwork for my collection. I don't have an issue with the fanart as I only use Aeon Nox Silvo skin with views that display fanart in the background. However, the posters have these jaggies and horrible aliasing - specially ones with text or some sort of a fine texture.

I changed both imageres and fanartres to 9999 to cache at original resolution but that didn't really help either. Will changing imagescalingalgorithm to something other than bicubic (e.g. lancoz3) help with this issue? From what I have understood from this thread, it won't help with posters displayed by the skin. Please advise if my understanding is flawed.

Also, apart from caching the artwork what purpose does imageres, fanartres, imagescalingalgorithm serve if they are not used by the skin at all? Where would these cached posters/fanarts be used if not in the skin?

Thanks for the hardwork and hoping this gets merged in soon Smile
Setting imageres and fanartres to 9999 might be overkill and - as you found out - won't fix the bad scaling. You can't do much about it at this time. Setting "imagescalingalgorithm" to "lanczos" is okay, but won't do much over bicubic regarding the problem itself.

Sadly - for the bad news regarding your case:
If i'm not mistaken: To me it looks like the OSMC Vero 4K+ does not support regular "OpenGL". It only supports "OpenGL ES" which - similar to all common Android devices - is not able to benefit from the improved GUI scaling.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
(2019-10-30, 00:00)axbmcuser Wrote: Setting imageres and fanartres to 9999 might be overkill and - as you found out - won't fix the bad scaling. You can't do much about it at this time. Setting "imagescalingalgorithm" to "lanczos" is okay, but won't do much over bicubic regarding the problem itself.

Sadly - for the bad news regarding your case:
If i'm not mistaken: To me it looks like the OSMC Vero 4K+ does not support regular "OpenGL". It only supports "OpenGL ES" which - similar to all common Android devices - is not able to benefit from the improved GUI scaling.

Well.. that sucks Sad
I love Vero4K+ and the support is usually quite great. But in this case, what would you recommend (if anything at all) to improve the image quality of the downscaled posters?
(2019-10-30, 00:00)axbmcuser Wrote: deleted
Unless I am mistaken, 6 years later, there is no progress on this file? It would still be nice to have high resolution covers in 2023... Leave the choice to the Kodi user. In the settings, let's set the definition of the covers according to the power of the device. Ideal would even be smart scaling based on zoom level.

In any case, next to the rendering of the PS5, Netflix, Spotify and co. low definition is starting to show up a lot on a 4K TV.

Personally I forced the definition below, which seems to me the best compromise :
<advancedsettings>
<imageres>900</imageres>
<fanartres>1440</fanartres>
</advancedsettings>

But it would be nice if the general public could also choose without having to do that.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUI: improved image scaling algorithm2