Req MadVR
(2014-07-25, 00:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Even with that said, smooth motion is a placebo. You cannot magically pull frames out of the proverbial ass. It works great on panning shots, but fast action or even normal movement in a comedy, it looks horrific. You get this fuzzy soap opera effect, and it just looks disjointed and wrong.
What you're describing is motion compensated frame interpolation. MadVR does frame blending.

Quote:There are very few ideas that I will strongly dismiss on these forums, but this is one of them.
I wouldn't dismiss it right away. LCDs may benefit as they will always be showing some kind of a blend of frames anyway due to slow response. Maybe the blending will be indistinguishable from the TVs own and allows you to hide the 3:2 pulldown?

For plasmas or other displays with fast response I agree with you.
(2014-07-25, 00:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Smooth motion is not something anyone should ever apply generically to a video.

Agreed. That's why it should be an option just like it is in MediaBrowser Theater. No one is forcing you to like something has polarized opinions. Clearly, you don't like it, but many if not most do. There isn't going to be a debate here about whether you like it or not. This thread is about getting the option should you like it.
its quite easy really. Implement it for all platforms and send a PR.
(2014-07-26, 21:59)wsnipex Wrote: its quite easy really. Implement it for all platforms and send a PR.

Can YOU do it? It doesn't seem like the devs care about madVR. If you can get it in there, I'll try to convince the devs of it's importance.
(2014-07-27, 20:24)TylerD004 Wrote:
(2014-07-26, 21:59)wsnipex Wrote: its quite easy really. Implement it for all platforms and send a PR.

Can YOU do it? It doesn't seem like the devs care about madVR. If you can get it in there, I'll try to convince the devs of it's importance.

you know he is actually part of the team right? Wink
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-07-27, 20:35)Martijn Wrote: you know he is actually part of the team right? Wink

LOL! I saw Team-XBMC packaging monkey, but thought that was just a funny name for someone that's expert.

Ok, this is even better. wsnipex, what do we need to do to make this happen? I want to help.
(2014-07-24, 19:03)lmyllari Wrote: I'm implementing dithering and color management in XBMC. Are there other neat features in MadVR that would be applicable to XBMC?

For dithering, MadVR has Random Dithering, Ordered Dithering and Error Diffusion. And Mpv has Ordered, Temporal and Fruit Dithering.
MadVR dithering is done through Direct Compute.

For the other neat features, you can choose the video scaling method for chroma upscaling, image upscaling and image downscaling. You have a new scaling method called Jinc, a image doubling called Nnedi3, a anti-ringing filter, a deband filter based on flash3kyuu, a smooth motion frame rate conversion and more option for the deinterlacing.

Smooth motion use frame blending and should only be use when your display couldn't match the framerate of your video.

Some post about smooth motion :

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1659045
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78386.0
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...otion.html
(2014-07-27, 21:16)djfred93 Wrote: Smooth motion use frame blending and should only be use when your display couldn't match the framerate of your video.

Yes, that makes sense.. But can anyone explain to me why it looks significantly better ON rather than when refresh and framerate matching?

I polled about 30 of my friends that have come over to watch movies and they all agree. Not only that, but 11 of my friends have HTPC's with XBMC and they have all chosen to use MPC-HT as their external player to get Smooth Motion. All of our displays can match refresh, but it just doesn't look as good.
So is this about the dreaded Soap Opera Effect that videophiles hate with a passion (me as well) or something else?
(2014-07-27, 22:51)boingman Wrote: So is this about the dreaded Soap Opera Effect that videophiles hate with a passion (me as well) or something else?

You're the only one that's dreading it. The community is polarized on the topic. I'm a passionate videophile myself and I know, much like most other videophiles, that there is a time and place for it. This is why I've requested that this be an OPTION. Please don't flame here; we're really trying to better XBMC for the future.
If you care so much about clean 24fps playback you should have bought a TV which supports it. Even my low cost LG TV (won the IPS panel lottery) supports a 2:2 pulldown (5:5 with TruMotion "Enhancer"). LG calls it "24p Real Cinema (24p 5:5 Pull Down)".

I would rather speedup the movie to 25fps/50Hz if the TV has no real 24/48/72/120Hz mode.

YUVtoRGB dithering on the other hand is worth looking into.

(2014-07-24, 19:03)lmyllari Wrote: I'm implementing dithering and color management in XBMC. Are there other neat features in MadVR that would be applicable to XBMC?
Could you share some of your ideas/code in a seperate thread? I'm fiddling with OpenGL shaders for the past months and this is one of my goals. Feel free to pm me.
(2014-07-27, 22:37)TylerD004 Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 21:16)djfred93 Wrote: Smooth motion use frame blending and should only be use when your display couldn't match the framerate of your video.

Yes, that makes sense.. But can anyone explain to me why it looks significantly better ON rather than when refresh and framerate matching?

I polled about 30 of my friends that have come over to watch movies and they all agree. Not only that, but 11 of my friends have HTPC's with XBMC and they have all chosen to use MPC-HT as their external player to get Smooth Motion. All of our displays can match refresh, but it just doesn't look as good.

Some display supports 24Hz, but internally converts to 60Hz by mere 3:2 pulldown and some don’t support 23.976Hz playback properly.
(2014-07-28, 00:24)membrane Wrote: YUVtoRGB dithering on the other hand is worth looking into.

Could you share some of your ideas/code in a seperate thread? I'm fiddling with OpenGL shaders for the past months and this is one of my goals. Feel free to pm me.
Cool! I'll start a thread in the development section when I have a moment.

Feel free to checkout my code at https://github.com/laurimyllari/xbmc/tree/Gotham-3DLUT - the history is a little messy as I originally went with a separate shader and then switched back to the existing YUV2RGB shader.

My main goal is ICC profile support, but I needed dithering for reasonable output accuracy. The dither matrix is created using a tool that MPV fruit dithering is based on (I think). It's a simple static dither and I had to apply a constant multiplier to the matrix to make the numbers correct.

I haven't yet figured out how to properly handle two pass rendering. Dithering should obviously be applied after scaling as the last step. Up until then higher than 8bit precision should be kept.
(2014-07-28, 00:24)membrane Wrote: If you care so much about clean 24fps playback you should have bought a TV which supports it.

Who are you talking to?

(2014-07-24, 22:06)TylerD004 Wrote:
(2014-07-24, 21:23)lmyllari Wrote: What TVs are you testing with?

I'm using 3. A Samsung UN65H7150, Vizio M652I-B2, and a Sony KDL65W950B. However, in all cases, I turn game mode on so that I can see the true output from the HTPCs.
(2014-07-27, 23:10)TylerD004 Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 22:51)boingman Wrote: So is this about the dreaded Soap Opera Effect that videophiles hate with a passion (me as well) or something else?

You're the only one that's dreading it. The community is polarized on the topic. I'm a passionate videophile myself and I know, much like most other videophiles, that there is a time and place for it. This is why I've requested that this be an OPTION. Please don't flame here; we're really trying to better XBMC for the future.

+1 on HATING the soap opera effect

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MadVR4